PDA

View Full Version : So i'm joining the P7 club.... NOW WITH PHOTOS

skyugo
09-01-10, 00:02
came across a little bit of money i wasn't expecting, and a decent price on a C-grade P7 PSP.
I've wanted one of these things ever since i heard of it. Got to shoot one awhile ago at the local club. amazing gun.
What spare parts should i stock? (please say not many...$$$)
It's going to be a bit of a collector piece for me, but i do intend to carry it once i get used to it. Probably going to have our man brian at atomic dog make me a holster if he's interested.... ;)
anybody got mags for less than 60 bucks? :o

davebee456
09-01-10, 00:39
I would just get a spare magazine springs, spare magazines, maybe a recoil spring and firing pin spring from wolf springs...other parts are pretty expensive like Firing Pin Assemblies but check out HKPARTS.NET or just call the snooty Heckler Koch Customer Service they get parts in all the time and some people there are very nice. I would bet money you will want a spare gun instead of spare parts...These guns are overbuilt and should last a long long time I read stories of people having over 30,000 rounds through them with no problems.

skyugo
09-01-10, 01:17
I would just get a spare magazine springs, spare magazines, maybe a recoil spring and firing pin spring from wolf springs...other parts are pretty expensive like Firing Pin Assemblies but check out HKPARTS.NET or just call the snooty Heckler Koch Customer Service they get parts in all the time and some people there are very nice. I would bet money you will want a spare gun instead of spare parts...These guns are overbuilt and should last a long long time I read stories of people having over 30,000 rounds through them with no problems.

i believe a fella here knows a guy who has put 70k through 2 of them. each cracked the slide right around 70k. that's enough for me.
i've got 2 glocks for EDC, so if i have to order somethign for this thing, no biggie.

whiskey6
09-01-10, 01:46
But....I need...... a Pics Fix?:D

skyugo
09-01-10, 01:49
But....I need...... a Pics Fix?:D

i'll have it in a week or 2 :p

whiskey6
09-01-10, 01:51
I'll try to hold on.:)

Barry in IN
09-01-10, 06:58
Parts? I've had a P7M8 for eight years or so, and a PSP for maybe three and I haven't needed anything yet but have heard of a couple of things others have broke. All guns fail eventually and mine probably will sometime.
And, as you know, even if no P7 in the world had ever broken a thing before, it would still be a good idea to keep a couple of things on hand rather than deal with HK if and when the time comes.

From what I've gathered from others, you might want to keep a spare drop safety catch and drop safety catch spring. They seem to be the first things mentioned when your question is asked although I've only seen/heard maybe four firsthand reports of them breaking.

The other part I hear suggested is the striker collar (that you see on the back of the slide). This is one of those things I've read a lot of concern over, but I've only seen or heard of a couple of those breaking. HK did use a beefier part on the M8 and others. It makes it easier to remove without the tool, but was possibly changed out of need for a stronger part. I wonder if an M8 collar will fit? I'll try that later today if I remember.

These are the three parts I've heard of failing. They come up often on P7 boards and you might get the impression these are disposable parts, but one time, I ran a search and looked through all the posts talking about them, and it was mostly the same couple of people retelling what happened.
Truthfully, for the time being, if I were you, I'd be hunting down things like a carbon scraper, magazines, holster, etc. If you end up finding something about it you don't like and trade it off, you have parts to get rid of. But I lost my desire to keep parts when I bought the surplus PSP as a spare, so I look at spares differently. (The hint there is to buy another one after you are sure you like it. If you should break a part you didn't buy ahead, you are at the mercy of HK, and that's not a comfortable spot to be.)

dorchester
09-01-10, 07:30
Barry, Yes please let us know about the collar interchange. That would be nice to know for my PSP.

vaglocker
09-01-10, 07:48
I think I speak for the others here when I say I find the lack of pictures of your new pistol disturbing :smile:

johnson
09-01-10, 07:59
Here is the list Gray Guns told me last year.

Johnson,

Here are the recommended parts.

Drop safety catch
Drop safety catch spring
Trigger bar spring
Recoil springs (Wolff or factory)
Extractor
Extractor plunger
Extractor spring

It would be a pretty rare situation where you would need the last three but it wouldn't necessarily hurt to have them.

Please keep in mind that for the average user, and even the average gunsmith, these parts are all things that are beyond most people capabilities to change out due to the complexity of the P7 system.

Thank you,
Roy

Worth the read.
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/LL_P7Failure.pdf

skyugo
09-01-10, 11:18
Here is the list Gray Guns told me last year.

Worth the read.
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/LL_P7Failure.pdf

very cool thanks.
the p7 really isn't that much more complicated than a glock looking at that breakdown. i had kind of assumed these guns contained some magic or something :o

skyugo
09-01-10, 11:19
recoil and mag springs?
5k on a recoil spring? or do they last longer than the springs in a standard short recoil operated pistol? :confused:

mag springs 10k? or are they "german engineered" ;)

skyugo
09-01-10, 11:23
anybody know a good p7 armorer in northern colorado?
also-is there any other way to clean out carbon other than with the carbon scraper?

Barry in IN
09-01-10, 20:02
A .270 or 7mm bore brush will do a pretty decent job on carbon removal, but the scraper will be a little better. You could probably go forever by just using bore brushes but if I were you I would get a scraper when I could anyway.

The HK scraper is priced stupid for what it is (shocker, I know) but there is a guy making them for something like $20 or less. I think his has a tab on it that fits the striker collar, so if you want or need that tool, you can kill two birds with one stone by buying this scraper. I'll look around for his contact info, but he posts on P7 forums as "iScott" so you might find him before I will.

I've only tried the bore brush to see if it worked, but didn't continue doing it because I have a scraper and don't have to. So I don't know how long a bore brush lasts being used this way (reversing direction in the gas cylinder has to be hell on the bristles). Since the scraper should last forever, they are probably a lot cheaper in the long run.

I'm usually anal about changing recoil springs, but I don't on the P7s. I don't know why I'm more casual about it with them, but I am. Their costing about eight times as much as other recoil springs might have something to do with it.
I probably had 10K on my first one before changing it, not including the use it saw before I had it. I don't think it was abused by it, and didn't feel dramatically different after replacement.

I was gone all day and haven't had a chance to swap striker collars. I am curious now, though. Both if they will swap, and if it matters.

kaltesherz
09-01-10, 22:00
Congrats on the P7, it's probably the most over engineered pistol of all time... for christ sakes it's got a friggin' fluted chamber! Then there's that video HK put out showing how it'll still fire with it's extractor removed. I was just showing an engineer friend mine a few days ago all of it's features and it's uniqueness. When I bought mine I only bought spare mags (which were pricey but not as bad as now... ouch!) and a carbon scraper, which I think I got for $15 or so. I should probably replace the recoil spring as I don't know how many rounds have been put through it previously, but it looks like a typical LE pistol... carried a lot and shot rarely.

Tzoid
09-01-10, 22:06
I just picked up a Mint- Like new never fired P7 PSP that I bought from Steve at SCP Firearms for 679.00:D I swear this thing has never been fired.

I took it to the range tonight and I really like it.... very accurate and the trigger is pretty good. Midway has the magazines for 62.99 on sale and that's about as good as I could find.

I'm in the club now as well ....:p

Mark71
09-01-10, 22:44
For those guys who are new to the P7 here is an excellent older HK promo video all about the P7 series.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6239098748148707308#

skyugo
09-01-10, 23:41
I should probably replace the recoil spring as I don't know how many rounds have been put through it previously, but it looks like a typical LE pistol... carried a lot and shot rarely.

it may be less dependent on recoil spring than a recoil operated gun.
the gun basically can't unlock until the chamber pressure drops.

man what an amazing little freak of a gun. it's like it's from an alternate universe.

ThirdWatcher
09-02-10, 00:51
I recently bought a PSP and it has to be the most overbuilt pistol I've got (I've never owned a Ruger autopistol, though :D). The slide to frame fit is as good as any of my NHCs and it is just as accurate too.

I know I've been drinking the HKoolaid, but Heckler & Koch has really produced some innovative weapons over the years (which is enough to keep me interested). It really is too bad the P7M7 (.45 ACP) never went into production.

skyugo
09-02-10, 10:21
I recently bought a PSP and it has to be the most overbuilt pistol I've got (I've never owned a Ruger autopistol, though :D). The slide to frame fit is as good as any of my NHCs and it is just as accurate too.

I know I've been drinking the HKoolaid, but Heckler & Koch has really produced some innovative weapons over the years (which is enough to keep me interested). It really is too bad the P7M7 (.45 ACP) never went into production.

rugers are built like tank, but they certainly don't have the perfect ergonomics of the p7. :o
I've said before, it's really surprising that a company as innovative as HK is producing nothing but hammer fired, browning short recoil pistols right now. word on the street is they're bringing out a striker gun. I hope it's something really neat.

skyugo
09-08-10, 19:33
well, picked it up today. good shape, grade C, so it does have a fair bit of holster wear as expected. looks great internally. very very accurate.

who wants to donate some magazines to a starving-ish college student? :o

Tzoid
09-08-10, 19:48
Nice.... How much did you pay? Midway has new factory mags for
63.99. I just bought a few.

Tzoid
09-08-10, 19:54
Here is mine...picked it up two weeks ago.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/tzoid08/HKP7PSP002.jpg

skyugo
09-08-10, 19:56
495+35 shippiing+25 transfer. so 555 OTD
not the prettiest P7 in the world, but she shoots :cool:

kind debating hard chrome or NP3 or somethign....

senorlinc
09-09-10, 21:04
Congrats on your purchase, may it serve you well. I have been very pleased with mine

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo209/senorlinc/wttandmagholder.jpg

Mirnyx
09-09-10, 21:16
Brings back memories of a P7M13 I had years ago. You picked up a cool pistol.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-09-10, 23:01
Amazing guns. My favorite.

YVK
09-09-10, 23:09
I had a firing pin bushing and drop safety catch spring break in close succession at about 7K. The pistol was sidelined for 6 weeks while HK got it fixed, and I wasn't able to buy those parts anywhere even if I wanted to.

davebee456
09-09-10, 23:27
I wanted one since I was 12 yrs old I have two now :)..
I love the one I fire at the range, One sits in the box that was never fired from 2008.
The one I fire is from 1997 and is very accurate and soft shooting...
I was thinking about selling the older one to fund a SIG P226 Navy but with my luck the Sig would jam every magazine...

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/dgbee456/02.jpg
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/dgbee456/HKPIC.jpg

skyugo
09-10-10, 18:21
i did manage to get 150 rounds through it in one range trip. couple short breaks. she gets burning hot right around the last row of bullets in a box (45 or so) cools off pretty quick though.

what's the preferred P7 shooter's glove? :D Is the M8 really any better at not burning people?

also this thing has a "hybrid" mag release-basically it had the protruding style one and was converted to a flush fit. Nill grips won't work on it apparently. anybody switches these back to protruding? is the protruding mag release worse for CCW? I am al ittle worried it would snag or get accidently actuated. I should probably just keep the stock grips and get proficient with this thing and stop whining :D

skyugo
09-10-10, 18:22
I had a firing pin bushing and drop safety catch spring break in close succession at about 7K. The pistol was sidelined for 6 weeks while HK got it fixed, and I wasn't able to buy those parts anywhere even if I wanted to.

i believe hkparts.net has those pieces...

YVK
09-10-10, 20:08
i believe hkparts.net has those pieces...

They are listed on website, but if you'd checked availability...

I don't own a PSP, but I don't think that heat shield makes much of a difference. In slow fire with my M8 I "last" 100 rounds, in fast - less than 50. I use Camelback gloves, previously known as SW Motorsport gloves.

As far as mag release, I can't help with personal experience, but I know many think that PSP is very secure in regards to mag retention. In fact, the concerns of "accidental magazine discharge" were initially attributed to HK models with paddle release, including P7M8.

CaracalUSA
09-10-10, 20:13
I have one a friend of mine bought new in the 80's and only put one mag through it. I got everything even the original receipt. I've shot several but I can't bring myself to dirty up such a beautiful piece. I've got plenty other pistols to shoot.

skyugo
09-10-10, 21:08
I have one a friend of mine bought new in the 80's and only put one mag through it. I got everything even the original receipt. I've shot several but I can't bring myself to dirty up such a beautiful piece. I've got plenty other pistols to shoot.

ah man you need a c-grade shooter :D

they DO get dirty though. i think the fluted chamber and delayed blowback extracts the case a little earlier than a browning style pistol.

i'm really digging this thing. it has this amazing mix of crude and refined that's very appealing to me. reminds me of a BMW r-series motorcycle.

skyugo
09-10-10, 21:09
They are listed on website, but if you'd checked availability...

I don't own a PSP, but I don't think that heat shield makes much of a difference. In slow fire with my M8 I "last" 100 rounds, in fast - less than 50. I use Camelback gloves, previously known as SW Motorsport gloves.

As far as mag release, I can't help with personal experience, but I know many think that PSP is very secure in regards to mag retention. In fact, the concerns of "accidental magazine discharge" were initially attributed to HK models with paddle release, including P7M8.

oh bummer..
so does HK honor the original "lifetime warranty" or is that for original owner only?
they will work on them though? did it cost you much to get fixed?

YVK
09-10-10, 21:19
so does HK honor the original "lifetime warranty" or is that for original owner only?
they will work on them though? did it cost you much to get fixed?

I believe that they would work on it, and I've heard reports of folks who weren't original owners who got theirs fixed, but I don't know for sure. I am an original owner so repairs didn't cost anything, but they required to send in a broken part before replacing it; it took almost one month to get that bushing.
I had to send it in for cycling issues, and you have to pay for shipping it to HK, original owner or not.

skyugo
09-10-10, 21:20
I believe that they would work on it, and I've heard reports of folks who weren't original owners who got theirs fixed, but I don't know for sure. I am an original owner so repairs didn't cost anything, but they required to send in a broken part before replacing it; it took almost one month to get that bushing.
I had to send it in for cycling issues, and you have to pay for shipping it to HK, original owner or not.

hmm CS isn't as horrible as i'd heard. i mean 6 weeks is a long time, but considering the gun is out of production....

skyugo
09-10-10, 21:34
I just emailed wolff gun springs about making a drop safety spring. who knows they might jump on it. they can probably make it easily enough, and we'll pay 10 bucks a pop for em.... :o

YVK
09-10-10, 21:35
hmm CS isn't as horrible as i'd heard. i mean 6 weeks is a long time, but considering the gun is out of production....

CS supposedly has improved; my experience was so-so. Mine had cycling problems that I couldn't figure out - I sent it in - it came back with "the gas chamber was dirty, we cleaned it" - it completely jammed on the next trip to range. I had to send it again. Did I mention you pay shipping even if you're original owner? Well, you pay shipping even if the gun was just at their place and they obviously misdiagnosed the problem... A nice dude by name Linc did something to compensate me indirectly; ironically it created another issue...
I surely hope my case was an exception rather than rule.

skyugo
09-10-10, 21:38
CS supposedly has improved; my experience was so-so. Mine had cycling problems that I couldn't figure out - I sent it in - it came back with "the gas chamber was dirty, we cleaned it" - it completely jammed on the next trip to range. I had to send it again. Did I mention you pay shipping even if you're original owner? Well, you pay shipping even if the gun was just at their place and they obviously misdiagnosed the problem... A nice dude by name Linc did something to compensate me indirectly; ironically it created another issue...
I surely hope my case was an exception rather than rule.

well the running joke with HK is that their CS motto is "because you suck and we hate you"
though i've heard good things about them recently. I'd think that the civilian handgun market in the US would be massive. HK's are kind of rare, being very expensive, but good CS would go a looong way to getting them in the hands of more civilians.
still got my eye on a p30 or a p2k, but i dunno, i think my next 1000 dollar HK purchase will be a P7m8. :o

davebee456
09-10-10, 23:27
I need to find about ROBAR NP3

YVK
09-10-10, 23:52
still got my eye on a p30 or a p2k, but i dunno, i think my next 1000 dollar HK purchase will be a P7m8. :o

I'd suggest spending some time and critical thinking with PSP before getting another one of those. I like the platform for many reasons, but objectively speaking it has its own limitations. To be honest, I've thought of selling mine more than once.

skyugo
09-10-10, 23:57
I'd suggest spending some time and critical thinking with PSP before getting another one of those. I like the platform for many reasons, but objectively speaking it has its own limitations. To be honest, I've thought of selling mine more than once.

it would be a ways out...
i'm still carrying my g19 and g26 exclusively at the moment. I don't take changing my carry gun lightly.

it is a strange gun, but it's something i've wanted to add to my arsenal for quite some time. I doubt i'll sell it, not sure how heavily i'll invest in the platform yet.

Obiwan
09-11-10, 11:43
I have two....

They are the easiest pistols to shoot well IMO

Every time I take newbies out they fall in love with the PSP

skyugo
09-23-10, 02:00
i've been using this as my EDC in a neutral cant minotaur for about a week now. conceals a bit better than a G19 imho. nearly the same as a G26.

it's convenient to be a be able to remove it from the holster and toss it in my bag or glovebox if needed without worry of the trigger catching something and causing an ND. Always a concern with glock. the odds of the cocking lever being squeezed hard enough to activate this pistol by accident are very low.

definitely heavy. I use a wilderness tactical belt, which is nice and stiff, but i can certainly feel the mass.
spare mags fit great in a pocket.
this is probably the most natural-pointing firearm i've ever held.

no rust so far. i keep it CLP'd up pretty good though.