PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint or TR21

buff
09-01-10, 13:03
I've read the stickies above and still can't decide without having the oppurtunity to try both hand ons.

I'm mainly a 100-200 yard shooter with the semis. I got a m4 carbine that I want to shoot at those distances, but would also like for home defense and need to start practicing at those distances. I know the aimpoint and the 4MOA dot is excellant for 100 yards and in from what I gathered from above stickies. How hard is it to shoot @ 200 yards with it?

I know the TR21 would be better at extended ranges. But how hard is it to get on target at say 25 yards or less. With practice does it make a good home defense optic? Could a guy like me thats grown up hunting and shooting since I was 10, now 36, be able to become proficient enough with the TR21 with not being able to shoot thousands and thousands of rounds a year? Mainly because of $$$$$$$. Basically what would you recommend for a weekend warrior like me? What say you?

Thanks!

buff
09-01-10, 13:09
Actually Im more confused now from reading above stickies. I'm aware the dot on the aimpoint will be 2 MOA at 50 yards and 8 MOA at 200 yards. I know thats suffice for man size targets, but my buddy I sometimes shoot with always ends up wanting to see who can shoot more accurately at 100, 150 and 200. He recently picked up an AK and put a Eotech on it. And I'd like to be able to smoke him still at the greater ranges. I know I should probably get both, but can't afford that now. I'm kinda leaning to the Tr now I think. I got a Good HD shotgun and handgun. And an AK for that matter. Maybe I'll set this one up for greater ranges. How bad is the Amber triangle in sunlight? I read up above guys saying it washes out. Is that everyones experience with it? I see the red is recommended for days and the amber is better at night. Heading to work. will check back later tonight.

Thanks!

JSantoro
09-01-10, 16:06
You can get an Aimpoint with a 2MOA dot by choosing the right model. Don't foget that you have the option of getting a 3x magnifier for that setup, and not be far away from the cost of the TR series.

As for the Trijicon, you're looking at a helluva good, versatile optic, especially for the money, and the glass is pristine.

If you're looking at it strictly from an Aimpoint-only (no magnifier) vs. a TR, I'd personally go with the TR and pay somewhat more for the greater versatility.

As for reticle colors, this can differ from person to person, but the trend across the human population regarding reticle color is this: From least to most visible under most lighting conditions, it goes amber - red - green. Green is hands-down the most visible because that color is smack dab in the middle of the visible light spectrum of the human eye.

Test each if you can, because the Fickle finger of Fate might have Fiddled with your eye and made it prefer amber or red and flipped the bird at the scientific trend.

buff
09-01-10, 16:10
Thanks my blackberry keeps screwing up

LOKNLOD
09-01-10, 19:57
For 100-200 yards, the TR21 would be preferable for sure. No substitute for that extra magnification.

For the under 25 yards stuff, the TR21 is workable, but at home defense distances, it really loses out to the Aimpoint. The 1.25X on the TR21 gets a bit wonky at extremely close range, and the fiber optic illumination works great BUT it's weakest spot is indoors in low light with a white-light. This is where the Aimpoint really kicks its ass.

Now...if we stop talking about the TR21 and talk about the TR24, I think it is a HUGE improvement over the 21 in terms of extreme close range performance.

However, the TR24 costs a bit more than the TR21...and at 100-200 yards, there's going to be less of a performance gap.

The Aimpoint at either 2 or 4 MOA is plenty shootable out to 200 yards but it's still not going to be as precise without magnification. I don't have any personal experience with the 3x magnifier for the Aimpoints so I will refrain from speculating about how well they work.

I think the question to ask is do you want to prioritize the mid-range shooting, and compromise at close range, or prioritize close range and compromise at distance?

Test each if you can, because the Fickle finger of Fate might have Fiddled with your eye and made it prefer amber or red and flipped the bird at the scientific trend.

I like the red triangle myself, but do think the green is brighter in lowlight. Either the green or red is great, I am not a fan of the amber. Of course my eyes flip everyone the bird, and I'm helpless without massive correction. I used to masturbate in hopes I'd go blind and improve my eyesight :p

For your longer range precision shooting, I think the TR21 is available the the German #4 dot now, which might be preferable for punching paper at longer range.

Nevermiss
09-01-10, 20:21
JSantora and LOKNLOD have said all that you probably need to hear with their excellent advice.

If you go with the Trijicon, get the TR24 and try to look at various targets under various lighting conditions to see which reticle works best for you.

I've read some posts of avid 3 gun competitors comparing their speed and accuracy at close range with red dot optics ( EoTech and Aimpoint ) and compared it 1-4X illuminated reticle optics ( Meopta K Dot and TR24 ) and IIRC some said they calculated they were slightly faster with the red dot on multiple close range targers (probably not applicable to a home defense situation). If it is, then you should relocate. :p

I have an EoTech, Aimpoint and Meopta K Dot. Although my eyes/brain prefer the EoTech reticle and 1 MOA dot, I like the long battery life of the Aimpoint. I also like the TR24 and it may be my next purchase, but I'm waiting for some of the new 1-6X and 1-8X scopes to become available.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with either.

usmcvet
09-01-10, 22:16
My rifles are usually locked up. My home defense guns are my carry guns a G22& G27. I have three little kids and choose to lock up my long guns.

If you have other options for HD get the TR21 or better yet the TR24, it will do close in and distant shooting better than its little brother the TR21. There are usually some great deals on the equipment exchange board.

buff
09-01-10, 22:35
A big thank you to all. And I guess I'll be going with the TR21 from the great input I've recieved, plus I was leaning that way. Thing is, I don't live in a high crime area; I'm kinda in the sticks. Plus, I already got the home invasion thingy covered as best as I can. When we go out passed the 100 yard mark, I want to be somewhat competable with my buddy. :secret:

We both joined here recently and he will be more and likely reading this--so it's on brother.

Unfortunately, my wife got layed off two weeks ago and funds are tight right now making two new car payments, house payment, etc. or I would get the TR24. I have no extra funds to play with my toys and the Mrs. said if I plan on getting any optics I'll have to sale or trade, in which, I've found someone who wants to trade me the Tr21 for something that I have. Furthermore, I have a different fella offering me and Aimpoint(M2) with 4 MOA for same trade among a few others I've received on other sites.

Thanks again for the input.

beavo451
09-01-10, 23:49
I would seriously re-consider and save for the TR24. The fixed eye relief throughout the zoom range or the 24 is the deal-breaker for me when comparing it to the 21.

bjesse60
09-03-10, 16:48
Hard to beat the speed and reliability of an Aimpoint.:)

buff
09-03-10, 20:51
I decided to sale my rifle for cash, because the dude with the TR21 backed out. I switched up and went with a eotech 512 that takes AA batteries. I got it for $367.00 NIB and went with some more ammo for practice instead of a Aimpoint that was twice the $$$$$$$$ time will tell if I made a mistake or not. I really like the finer 1MOA dot with the eotech.