PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Tactical Entry 2

trinity30
09-02-10, 13:46
looking for some opinions on the Kimber Tactical Entry 2. Found one near me for sale $1200 NIB. Buy it or is there something better in that price range. Looking for something NIB. Almost forgot it has to be Ambidextrous

Littlelebowski
09-02-10, 13:52
I'd rather have a Springfield Loaded. Kimber's QC is very spotty.

If you look past 1911s, an S&W M&P 45 with the Apex DCAEK duty trigger kit would be a better and much cheaper choice as well.

SHIVAN
09-02-10, 13:59
I am a fan of Kimber 1911's, but I would not pay close to retail for one, nor would I buy a current production one.

Find a used Warrior, you're better off if you can identify the seller first, and judge their claim of reliability.

David Thomas, a member here, was selling a Desert Warrior with holster and X200 for less than they want for that new Tactical Entry...

SHIVAN
09-02-10, 14:00
Also, if you can spend $1200, you can spend $900 on an HK45. That's where I would be looking if you didn't have your heart set on a 1911.

VolGrad
09-02-10, 14:05
Also, if you can spend $1200, you can spend $900 on an HK45. That's where I would be looking if you didn't have your heart set on a 1911.
That was exactly what I was getting ready to post.

I am a 1911 fan. I have in the past owned 2 Kimbers, both Series II current production models. One was flawless (wish I still had it as a beater gun) and one was less than perfect (no longer own). My only 1911 now is a EB SF Govt model with a bobtail job. So, I'm not down on the platform, just wouldn't personally trust a Kimber with my life out of the box. As a range toy ... no problem.

Personally, in that price range I would be looking at the HK45 as a bomb-proof (to quote Larry Vickers) firearm you can trust your life with. If you are dead set on a 1911 ... in that price range I would actually prefer a used pistol from a trust source. I would try to get it for a little less than what you set as the top of your budget so you can have some money to mod it as you want/need to.

loupav
09-02-10, 18:26
Another vote for the HK45. :D

DocGKR
09-02-10, 18:46
M&P45 w/Apex Duty Kit, a case of ammo, and some good training for the same price...

Adam Pini
09-02-10, 19:18
My first and only 1911 was a kimber tactical custom 2 and it was everything I wanted in a 1911. I think its one of the best values for what you get. Night sights, magwell, front strap and under trigger guard checkering.

BOTTOM LINE BUY IT!!!

SWATcop556
09-03-10, 04:04
M&P45 w/Apex Duty Kit, a case of ammo, and some good training for the same price...

This is solid advice.

Read here if you are considering this for anything other than range/fun gun status: www.10-8performance.com

FWIW I have an older Kimber TLE RL-II with the internal extractor. I paid $1000 BNIB and then spent $600+ making it a reliable duty weapon. It is still one of my favorite 1911's but it does not see any social use. None of my 1911's do anymore. I use it for competion and range/fun.

If you have to have a 1911 for that price I would try to find a Springfield Loaded as was suggested. Better intial gun and much much better CS.

The M&P plus ammo plus training is still the best option. YMMV

jwperry
09-03-10, 19:07
My first and only 1911 was a kimber tactical custom 2 and it was everything I wanted in a 1911. I think its one of the best values for what you get. Night sights, magwell, front strap and under trigger guard checkering.

BOTTOM LINE BUY IT!!!

That was my first 1911 as well. The aluminum frame is nice and light, but didn't hold up real well after about 3k rounds. The feed ramp and frame just below the barrel were smashed and had all kinds of divots from rounds nose diving from my Kimber Tac mags. The only JHP I could get to feed reliably were Golden Sabres; Federal HST and Winchester SXT would always get hung up in the divots below the barrel. No thanks on aluminum framed firearms after all this.

The Kimber Tactical Entry has intrigued me as well as it is a steel frame and has all the nice bells and whistles I want in a 1911; front strap checkering, ambi-safety, enhanced mag well, night sights, under $1300 and a light rail. It reads nice on paper, but the Schwartz Firing Pin block is a major deterrent to me and is what has kept me from purchasing another Kimber.

If you do pick it up, let us know how it works out you..