PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 Glock 19 Grips/Finishes

dog guy
09-02-10, 13:56
Based on my reading of previous threads concerning the RTF2 finish, I am leaning towards that option for a soon to be purchased Gen 3 G19. I have seen little if any mention of the Hogue "rubber sleeve" aftermarket grip, and I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on that option (although the lack of mention is in itself probably a clue.) Carry conditions will range from really hot and dry to quite cold and snowy. The weapon will be carried mostly concealed. Of course, this question will be moot if I convince myself to go M&P instead...

VolGrad
09-02-10, 14:08
The RTF2 is too harsh for my pref, esp against bare skin under a shirt. The Gen4 texture is quite comfortable to me. I've been carrying mine lately and am quite happy with it.

I am not a fan of the rubber grip sleeves myself. For one, I have small hands. For two, when I have used them in the past I found they did sometimes "shift" causing my grip to change. For three, I think they look lame. It would be like duct taping an aftermarket accessory on your car. Who would do that? I know, I know ... it's about performance and not looks. OK, so who would duct tape a performance enhancing aftermarket accessory on their car?

DocGKR
09-02-10, 14:11
I used mountain bike inner tubes slipped over my Glock grips for 15 years--they work well and are easy to replace. Grip tape is another good option that is also easy to use. Recently, I have stippled all my Glocks and that is the best option I've tried to date.

dvdlpzus
09-02-10, 15:04
I love the grip of the G19 RTF2, however; when I conceal I have to wear an undershirt. I think using tape or rubber grip would defeat the purpose of the RTF2. Use an undershirt.

vigilant2
09-02-10, 20:45
I don't know about the RTF2 , but I use Tru-Grip tape grips on
all 3 of my 3rd gen G19's and my new G26. They are superior
to the regular decal grips you see everywhere. They totally wrap
around the handgun's grip without adding any gerth. The texture
is tacky yet not rough on the hands like regular skateboard grip
tape. Color me extremely happy with them.
I'm too chicken to try stippling my glocks. When Ben at Boresight
solutions starts taking orders again I'll make the 50min trip south
to have him work his magic.
Tru-Grips website
http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/store.html

jdavis6576
09-03-10, 06:38
I have an RTF2 that I can conceal without an undershirt easily. I simply took some 600 grit sand paper and slowly sanded the grips until I was satisfied. That said, I like the sanded grip of my RTF2 better than my Gen4 grip texture. Just a little sanding will remove the points on the pyramids or whatever Glock calls them while providing and exceptional grip.

A few pics:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3635.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww65/jdavis6576/IMG_3634.jpg

SWATcop556
09-03-10, 07:23
RTF2 can be very rough on bare skin if carrying concealed unless you sand down the texture just a bit. I like the RTF2 texture for an open carry duty option as it is very grippy. I have small hands so the Hogue grip was a no go since it adds a decent amount of mass to the grip. I also ran with the bike innertube as it gave you a good grip without added mass to the grip, plus it was easy to replace when damages or torn.

I have since textured my G19's and wish I would have gone this route years ago. I have several different textures I use (since I "roll my own") for different applications, such as concealed carry, duty use, even Pmags. For concealed carry I use a grippy yet not very aggressive texture all the way to my current duty setup which feels and grips like 20 lpi texturing.

Either the M&P or the Glock would serve you well. I just recently switched to the M&P for work but I didn't run out and sell all of my 9mm Glocks to do so. My G19's and G26's still have their place and their use.

willowofwisp
09-03-10, 08:44
my last glock 19 was an rtf2 model and while i carried it from november to april at the beginning it was pretty rough..i would get rashes on my skin from it rubbing raw LOL, but after about a month it stopped happening and from a lot of use i think i wore the grip down a bit

Combat_Diver
09-03-10, 09:34
I just got my G19 OD frame 3rd Gen in Jul. I only had it for a few days when home on leave so didn't carry it concealed. One point to remember about rubber grips when carrying concealed is that the rubber bunches on clothing, thus causing it to print.

CD

dog guy
09-03-10, 12:47
Thanks for the feedback and photos. It's exactly the advice I was looking for.

Moose-Knuckle
09-03-10, 16:07
Even with the standard grip surface on my Gen3 G19 I have always worn an under shirt. An undershirt will one act as a moisture barrier to prevent as much perspiration from getting to your gun/holster and two protects your skin from chafing.