PDA

View Full Version : Modded a Tomahawk

just a scout
09-02-10, 14:30
Well, after reading a bunch of posts on forums like BushcraftUSA and Dirt Time, I decided to try my hand at a CS Trailhawk.

When it comes, it looks like it's pressed onto the haft with a press, pushed into the wood. The head is painted with a black paint almost like stove black.

I first disassembled the hawk then wire brushed the head to get down to bare metal. The brush was mounted on a drill press. Better access and control than on a grinder. I used wet/dry emery cloth to sand it down some, especially the eye. Also used a rat tail file on the eye. All edges were smoothed down with a stone on the drill bit.

The head was then cleaned and blued with a blueing kit I got from the gun store, Birchwood Casey, I think. Turned out ok for my first time using it, just a little uneven, but I think it's because me as opposed to the kit.Adds character anyway, right?

I used the haft that it came on. In retrospect, should've gotten a new one. The haft was gouged from the head. Took a bunch of sanding to make it smooth. Also, apparently, the finish soaked in a lot deeper than I thought. I used some ebony stain which soaked for a while, but only changed the color a little when it wiped off. Can see the grain much better now.

Soaked the head in Gunzilla then reassembled everything. I put the set screw back in after I was done just for extra holding power, mainly so it didn't slide down the haft.

I wrapped the handle with 550 cord and did a wrap under the head too. Handle is nice and tight, need to braid the extra cord. I have to drill a hole for the lanyard btw. The wrap under the head will probably loosen up eventually so it will have to be redone.

The edge was sharpened with a Lansky kit at 25 deg, coarse and fine diamond hones, then touched up with a steel. Nice and sharp, good feel and balance. Overall, I'm happy. Now to get it out in the woods and use it. I'm thinking I'd like to make more of there for Christmas gifts for buddies this year. My bride thinks "it's stupid", but she just don't get it sometimes.

I'll post pics when I can get them onto the computer.

Let're rip, I'd love comments.

Naxet1959
09-02-10, 15:00
No comments until you post pictures!:D

Spade
09-02-10, 15:49
No comments until you post pictures!:D

What he said.

just a scout
09-04-10, 12:34
I am chastised. Here.
DSC00668.JPG
DSC00667.JPG

just a scout
09-04-10, 12:44
It won't upload the pics for me, just the filename. Am I soft or stupid? I read the thread on pics and still ain't making it. Help?

just a scout
09-07-10, 20:19
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justascout/

Ok, try this.

just a scout
09-09-10, 18:06
Nobody? stroke my my ego a little, will ya?

jbsmwd
09-10-10, 18:23
That a nice looking roofing hammer

Just joking:D
that would be about the only size that I would take in the woods, I like it.

docsherm
09-11-10, 20:33
Very nice work. That is a great wrap job.

Iraq Ninja
09-11-10, 21:13
Looks very good.

I recently picked up this hand forged Hawk and want to wrap the handle. Any specific knots or techniques you used to do it? Basically, I want to be able to remove the cord as needed in outdoor situations.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/B0imKcgB2kKGrHqJhIEw5NBtGLBMvSyLI4w_3.jpg

just a scout
09-11-10, 21:33
I used Google-Fu and came up with this http://www.zombiesmustdie.com/zombiefiles/Pictorial-How_I_550_Haft_Warp.pdf. Worked out well so far. Don't think I can just strip off some as I need it. It's all or nothing.

Bolt_Overide
09-11-10, 21:58
nice wrap job, hows the balance on it?

Naxet1959
09-12-10, 12:23
Both of these Hawks look great... what length are the handles on each?

Iraq Ninja
09-12-10, 14:44
Mine is 18 3/4th.

It was made by Brian Otto: http://www.walkbyfaith777.com/tomahawks

just a scout
09-12-10, 20:29
Mine is the standard cold steel. 22" or whatever it is. Feels good in the hands, haven't had a chance to put it to work, yet.