PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Middie 14.5 Barrel?

M4Fundi
09-02-10, 16:14
Is the port size for a 14.5 middie barrel something that is standardized or up to the scientific/artistry voodoo of each maker?

The reason I ask is I prefer a 10-12 rail and a 14.5 bbl and if I'm gonna have a rail that long why not have the middie gas system instead of a carbine length... so why wouldn't all barrel makers/AR manufactures offer the option of a 14.5 middie bbl or rifle if all it took was drilling the "standardized" port size at the mid length spot?

Col_Crocs
09-02-10, 19:09
I agree. With the proven reliability of the 14.5 middy, It would make more sense to do so. That said, I think MFGS are slowly heading in that direction, although, I highly doubt they'd ever completely drop the car system 14.5. They'll probably just trim down to more specialized profiles like the M4 and pencil.

M4Fundi
09-03-10, 01:07
I don't think of the Middie as replacing the Carbine it just seems to make sense that if a large # of the marketplace wants the shortest legal length rifle, but lots of Rail Estate why wouldn't you extend the gas system under those longer rails to soften up the recoil within the gun and on the shooter. I must be missing something (it happens;)) it just seems like if the middie 14.5 is reliable as far as the math goes that everyone would be making them especially when there is no retooling, etc. its just a different gas port size...

bjesse60
09-03-10, 16:58
I agree. With the proven reliability of the 14.5 middy, It would make more sense to do so. That said, I think MFGS are slowly heading in that direction, although, I highly doubt they'd ever completely drop the car system 14.5. They'll probably just trim down to more specialized profiles like the M4 and pencil.

My thoughts also.

M4Fundi
09-03-10, 19:38
I really didn't intend to create a why a Middie 14.5 thread, but was mostly interested to know if the gas port size for one was a standardized size or if it was difficult for manufacturers to put the research and $ into finding out that manufacturer specific port size for their rifle?

mtdawg169
09-03-10, 21:18
As far as I know, there isn't a standard for gas port size on the midlength gas system. I am very curious to know how a chopped 16" middie would compare to the "tuned" BCM 14.5" middie in terms of reliability and especially recoil impulse.

bullseye
09-03-10, 22:32
i don't know how a ''chopped'' 14.5 would compare with a ''tuned'' 14.5, but, i did send a 16'' BCM upper to adco recently and had it full length fluted, cut to 14.5, and pinned AAC blackout. i shot this approx. 300 rds of assorted ammo, versus a DD m4 with 9.5 rail. both had spike's st-t2 buffer and i could not notice any difference in recoil or ''softness'' between the two. the DD is my 18yo grandson's, and he could not distinguish any difference in recoil either. i'll shoot it with my 20'' BCM next, but the 20'' definitely outweighs the 14.5''. they both shot great though, and it does my soul good to watch the lad roll bottles @ 50 yds, and get puffed up about it. his has been black-t'ed, and of course, i tell him his is better than mine.

Col_Crocs
09-04-10, 00:39
My guess they run the ports on the tuned 14.5 to the minimum possible, hence, the buffer notice on their site.

M4Fundi
09-04-10, 00:40
Was the 16" upper you had cut a middie?

Adco did say they could change a 16" Middie to a 14.5 for me no problem. I would assume (hate that word) that the correct gas port size would be all the tuning it would need???

bkb0000
09-04-10, 01:38
there's not gonna be any change in gas port.. all three should have .062" port. some of the cheaper manufacturers over-gas their guns to compensate for tight chambers, the crappy ammo most people use, and otherwise shitty construction.. and since you can't go smaller from larger, there's just not gonna be any change that can happen.

mtdawg169
09-04-10, 11:20
Was the 16" upper you had cut a middie?

Adco did say they could change a 16" Middie to a 14.5 for me no problem. I would assume (hate that word) that the correct gas port size would be all the tuning it would need???

The comments referring to "tuned" gas ports are referring to the BCM 14.5 middie. A chopped 16" middie will not / cannot require any additional tuning to the port. I'm just curious how the decrease in dwell time affect the recoil impulse

bullseye
09-04-10, 16:45
The comments referring to "tuned" gas ports are referring to the BCM 14.5 middie. A chopped 16" middie will not / cannot require any additional tuning to the port. I'm just curious how the decrease in dwell time affect the recoil impulse

in my case, i can not realize any more ''softness'' at all. the ''recoil impulse'' was the same as the DD carbine. of course the fluting did take some weight off, maybe that factors in. at any rate, it's a nice rig. [and yes, mines a mid-length]