PDA

View Full Version : Glock 36 experiences (range report added)

cathellsk
09-02-10, 20:23
Anyone that has or know someone that has any experience with the Glock 36 and what you/they thought of it? I tried a search but G36 and 36 were too short to get any results.

I've had a couple over the years buts its been awhile and I was thinking of one lately. Found a smoking deal on one that was hard to pass up.

I have one question about sights for it. I want to use either Ameriglo Defoors or Hackathorns. I remember reading that Trijicon made a set of night sights specific to the 36 with a thinner front sight screw because of how the slide is thinner compared to a 30 and that "issues" may crop up with the screw for the front sight making contact with the barrel when firing. Anyone know if there is any truth to this or have a reason to worry?

Roy
09-02-10, 20:31
I had one that would not run reliabily.
my partner carries one for back up that runs about 90% with our duty load (gold dot 230) However its closer to 55-60% with ball.

I love the idea but for the size id rather carry my 19 or a 23..
Good luck in your search
Roy

willowofwisp
09-02-10, 20:49
A local club member has one and so does his son, his runs 100%...whether its factory 230gr federal or his 230gr lead reloads and it feeds gold dots no problem...while his son's gun just chokes and chokes, I think it has been back to glock several times and still has issues.

cathellsk
09-02-10, 20:53
A local club member has one and so does his son, his runs 100%...whether its factory 230gr federal or his 230gr lead reloads and it feeds gold dots no problem...while his son's gun just chokes and chokes, I think it has been back to glock several times and still has issues.

Thats what I heard in the past too. Some run, some don't. A buddy of mine got to see a Glock rep at a Mock Prison Riot training and asked him about the issues. He said some changes were made to fix those reliability issues. He had one that choked constantly so got rid of it. Then after talking to the Glock rep a couple years ago got another one and its been 100% for him. That was my experince in the past too, first one sucked, second one was GTG but I still got rid of it as I was "thinning the herd" at that time and trying to stick with just .38s and 9mms.

CENTCOM_Survivor
09-02-10, 23:05
Our agency sent every one we had back to Glock. Some of the slides came off at the range while firing. Like right off the frame!
They were replaced with the 30 and there have been zero issues. We also have the 21 for patrol and no issues there either.
I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of 36's, but I would think twice if I were to buy one.

willowofwisp
09-02-10, 23:08
Our agency sent every one we had back to Glock. Some of the slides came off at the range while firing. Like right off the frame!
They were replaced with the 30 and there have been zero issues. We also have the 21 for patrol and no issues there either.
I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of 36's, but I would think twice if I were to buy one.

I ran a glock 30sf for a few months and that thing was awesome..high capacity and handled recoil quite wlel

HeavyDuty
09-03-10, 08:08
I've had a 36 for a few years now that is running 100% with 230g ball and Hydra-Shoks. It's only annoyance is a tendency to toss an occasional case back into my face but I haven't gotten around to tuning it. I installed a set of Big Dots to compensate for my aging eyes.

I only have about 1500 rounds through it, so take that into account - not heavy use.

jstephens202
09-03-10, 09:38
I've had a G36 for over 10 years and have had zero problems with it. It is my carry gun for times my 1911s are impracticable. Only mod to it is adding a front night sight. Out of the box it has been one of the most accurate guns I've aquired, and it has never malf'ed on me. Ammo count is in the thousands range, with most 230fmj but also a considerable amount of Hydra-Shok, Ranger, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, and HST+P(very intense but managable recoil by the way).
All in all, it has preformed with the oft-heard "Glock Perfection"motto. I know others have had problems, reference the 'net, but mine has been great.:dirol:

Obiwan
09-03-10, 10:16
I had one that I bought used

It ran perfectly and was very accurate

I sold it because I got tired of the blood blisters from speed reloads

If Glock made on with a slightly longer grip I would be all over it

Nice single stack .45 about the size of a g19

Please

loupav
09-03-10, 10:46
A friend of mine has one. I shot it before and before he handed it to me, he instructed me on how to hold it so it wouldn't have any issues. I shot a magazine through it and it failed to feed once or twice. I gave it back to him and I'll stick with my HK45C. Thank you.

davebee456
09-03-10, 12:23
I want a G36 and a G30SF but all i see on the internent is alot of horror stories and FTF and FTRB FTF and etc,
I wish I could buy one and afford to run 300 rounds of ammo through each before i could trust them but i dont even have time for that..
9mm glocks and 45 Hk's I guess...I do want to try the S&W MP45 though

VooDoo6Actual
09-03-10, 12:24
Great sub compact to carry.

Dig mine & no problems.

bjesse60
09-03-10, 16:43
I personally don't feel the 36 has much to offer, far too many better choices in the lineup. IMO :cool:

Ga Shooter
09-04-10, 06:41
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59954

varoadking
09-04-10, 09:07
Mine ran fine, but I simply could not shoot it accurately. Sold it...

restfortheweary
09-04-10, 13:01
When I was looking at the 36, I read a bunch of posts about people whose "friend" had one that was a turd. I bought it and put 2000 rounds through it with only a couple of light primer strikes (GA ARMS RELOADS). Gun ran great. That being said, I didn't like the feel and prefer the 30 SF. I think Glock has got the 36 running.

M4arc
09-04-10, 13:08
It's no secret that I love Glocks and am a huge fan so I'm trying to talk you out of one here...just giving you a heads up:

The G36 seems to be the most inconsistant Glock of the bunch. It seems that you either get a great one or a turd. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. They guys that have problems NEVER get them sorted out while the guys that own the reliable ones never seem to have an issue.

Even multiple trips back to GA for the problematic ones don't seem to help either.

So beware and prepared when you buy one. Find out if it's reliable immediately and if so enjoy. If it's not, ditch it quickly ;)

DocGKR
09-04-10, 14:10
Based on numerous problematic ones I've seen over the years, the G36 is a pistol I would NEVER willingly choose to purchase and hope never have to stake my life on...

Singlestack Wonder
09-04-10, 14:33
I've ran a 36 for CCW for a few years now and mine digests everything I feed it with no issues. With full power .45ACP, I have seen a lot of shooters who could not maintain a firm grip with the small frame size of the 36 and allowed the pistol to move under recoil resulitng in a "limp wrist" situation that affected feeding.

It's a lot of fire power in a very small package and one should try one out with full power ammo to ensure that they can maintain a good grip thru out the recoil cycle.

I prefer the 36 for concealment purposes and the .45acp stopping power.

nickdrak
09-04-10, 14:59
I owned two of them years ago, sold them both. Neither would feed various hollow-point carry ammo reliably. Both would also choke on most ball training ammo. I would never trust my life to a G36.

Robb Jensen
09-04-10, 16:34
I had a Glock 36 a very early one that just wouldn't run on 230gr ball or 230gr JHP. It did run fine on 165gr, 185gr and 200gr (target and JHP). My favorite carry loads are 230gr. It went back to Glock 2 times, they replaced everything in in but the slide, frame and barrel and it still wouldn't work with 230gr. I traded it for a Glock 30 and told the new owner that it didn't work with 230gr, he didn't care since his carry load was a 185gr JHP.

I do like the Glock 30SF.

rsilvers
09-04-10, 17:29
I don't think mine has ever failed to fire. If I could have one Glock 45 it would be a 21SF.

Business_Casual
09-04-10, 17:33
I prefer the 36 for concealment purposes and the .45acp stopping power.

:rolleyes:

B_C

cathellsk
09-06-10, 11:16
Well, looks like I got a bad one. Shoulda posted this topic before buying it instead of after. Live and learn...
Just shy of finishing the second box of Federal Champion 230gr. FMJ and had these back to back.

Phase III? Round half out of chamber was fired and bearing against the case mouth of the round below it keeping the slide locked back. This was the first round of the mag.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/006180.JPG

After I cleared the above one I pulled the trigger next and got this sideways stovepipe.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/010113.JPG

These were the only "jams" I suffered in around 150rds or so. The reason I didn't continue on was because, once, sometimes twice, the slide would lock back in the middle of a mag. It was getting so aggravating I said screw it and threw it back in the range bag. I know more than likely it was my big meaty hands causing it and tried changing my grip but it still continued to happen.

Oh, almost forgot. I had the mags loaded for a couple days before finally getting to the range. Once I got there I racked a round in the chamber and heard a gawd awful rattling from inside the mag. Ejected and found the follower stuck in the bottom of the mag and the rounds just fell out. Had to bang in on the shooting bench and it finally dislodged.

Finally about half way through the range session a freakin' bee stung me in the left forearm. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasurable first outing with the Glock 36. Finished up the day with a couple hundred trouble free rounds each through my Gen3 and Gen4 Glock 19s. At least I know I can count on them!

cathellsk
09-06-10, 11:21
Double post...

Dave L.
09-06-10, 17:58
No problems with mine. Love it; It's the only .45 I'll carry concealed due to my two Kimber 1911's being worthless.

Sherman A. House
09-06-10, 18:02
I had one.

I got it on a killer trade. Bought 1000 rounds to wring it out, and it didn't make it through 150 without having Type III's about every two rounds. I thought it was a, "break in," thing at first, but after awhile it just got old. Traded it away for a G26.

tpd223
09-07-10, 03:49
While indeed a fails to extract, that first pic is not a "phase III". The phase III ends up with the mouth of the brass stuck over the little extension on top of the chamber, some folks call it the barrel hood.

Your gun looks to me like it has extractor bounce issues, meaning that during the firing cycle the extractor is starting to do it's job but then bounces out of the extractor groove on the brass, leaving it partially in the chamber or in that sorta in-line stovepipe, for lack of a better term.

askani79705
09-07-10, 07:43
http://shop.lspi.com/Captured-Recoil-Guide-Rod-for-GLOCK-Pistols-w-dual-spring-LS-5015.htm
Bought this on recommendation from a local gunsmith.It solved my problems.

HeavyDuty
09-07-10, 07:49
http://shop.lspi.com/Captured-Recoil-Guide-Rod-for-GLOCK-Pistols-w-dual-spring-LS-5015.htm
Bought this on recommendation from a local gunsmith.It solved my problems.

What problems were you having?

askani79705
09-07-10, 09:10
It wasn't feeding properly,sometimes not returning to battery.

HeavyDuty
09-07-10, 19:56
Good to know, thanks!

bigrobkell
09-12-10, 18:54
just put 100 rounds through mine yesterday without any problems(knock on wood). i used a variety of ammo. 230g brass and steel cased fmj and some ranger t's.

Lumpy196
09-13-10, 12:29
Bought one the first year they came out. The barrel hood locking lugs and the slide were peening the hell out of each other within 500 rounds.

Sold it and have never looked at one since.

Paulinski
09-13-10, 14:16
So the general consensus is the G30SF is more reliable than G36?

I'm thinking of purchasing G30SF.

skipper49
09-13-10, 16:46
The 30SF is on my radar also. I've had both the 30 and the 36 and zero issues with either. The 36 was one of the early ones too, but would gobble up everthing I put in it.