PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for what....

amac
09-02-10, 20:43
I've been reading through this forum and have found the discussions very beneficial. I realize there are other people as crazy paranoid about the possibility of something major happening as me! I've also realized that I am in no way prepared for the survival test. I have a lot of storing up to do.

What I've taken from some other posts is that people are prepared for a week or two, some maybe a month, but what then? While short term provisions are essential to proper planning, what about the long term? I am considering purchasing a couple of acres to start a vegetable garden and build upon that - for long-term sustainability. Is anyone doing the same? If the SHTF like I think it could, two weeks would be a drop in the bucket. What's the best way to start becoming less reliant on "the system" for long term sustainability?

sandsunsurf
09-03-10, 10:56
There are a lot of things to prepare for, ranging from your house burning down to serious terror attack. My plans are more "mid-length" in range, and I started with the longer term part of that, before realizing that the house fire scenario was probably the most likely and least planned for.

Here's an off the cuff list of things I think are possible:

House fire. Need a 72 hour kit.

Moderate/localized problem (terror attack or natural disaster). Need a few weeks of stuff, specifically to avoid waiting in government lines or superdome housing.

Large scale failure (coordinated terror attack, economic meltdown, pandemic of epic proportions). Need stuff to survive. Possible "bug-out" situation. The problem with planning too specifically for this condition is that there are too many variables, and I think that at this stage mindset and skills become more important. Be flexible and ready to adapt immediately. While it's great to think that you and your buddies are all going to meet at the retreat in Idaho (a la Patriots), EMP renders that plan impossible. But it could be as simple as your bad luck that the terrorist attack plane was crashed by good guys in your retreat's roof. Having the items to keep you alive and barter for the first few months will allow you time to react to the rest of the situation. It will be valuable to have skills across a broad range, like plumbing, gardening, hunting, foraging, fixing vehicles and the like, welding, sewing, advanced first aid, tactics, etc...

If you're lucky enough that you live at your retreat, or literally within a couple day's hiking distance, well then prep and store as much as possible. Set it up like the bunker in Patriots.

To get off the grid consider solar power or hydroelectric for electricity. Both are clean and quiet, and require little maintenance. Wind turbines are not low key enough, and consumer-sized ones fail far more frequently than people think. Have a well that can be hand pumped or has a windmill that isn't ultra-modern and attention getting. Better yet, find a place with a year round clear stream and create your own gravity fed water supply. Learn animal husbandry and general agri-skills. Practice those skills by living...

Alright this is the end of the long rambling post. I hope this was helpful!

09-03-10, 15:04
The most basic answer may be to get enough land to grow crops and farm animals. Don't forget pre-'70 car/truck in case of EMP; if it doesn't strain your budget. Sources of power are important as long as it you can afford it. If not, civilization went for a long time w/o electricity so I don't put getting solar/wind/micro-hydro at the top of the list.

If the "event" happens before crops are put in, ready, etc. going to need months of food preps. Crop failures also need to be planned for so getting 6-12 months of food may be your priority. Don't forget water either. Kill two birds by getting land w/water.

PA PATRIOT
09-04-10, 16:07
Planting crops and enjoying the harvest during peaceable times is a great way to gather the raw veggies for canning before the SHTF. Now once the event occurs and food stores run out be totally prepared to defend those acres of crops when the unprepared and dark element come for a free meal. Unless you can camp out on those fields I doubt they will last more then a few days to a week once your secret is out. Small gardens and a few fruit trees can cover months of canning if you plan it right.