PDA

View Full Version : Fun with a fal

wedgehead30
09-03-10, 01:46
Here's a short video of my 15 year old son putting a few rounds down range with a 10 inch FN fal. The gun is surprisingly very controllable on full auto as long as you keep it to 2 or 3 round bursts. We were having no trouble clanging 12 inch gongs at 200 yards. The recoil was definitely not what I expected from such a short gun in 7.62 x 51, very light and comfortable. The only down side was the horrendus muzzle flash, report and concussion. It was definitely a rude little fella..:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znftrC42Doo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eXSVkaWYo

Belmont31R
09-03-10, 02:25
Shooting glasses are cheap....

:cool:

bjesse60
09-03-10, 16:53
I bet he had a blast !:D

TOrrock
09-03-10, 17:20

And your eyes aren't.

Sorry, after having been behind the trigger on several KaBooms, I've become an eye pro nazi.....

It does look like he had a great time, and it's always awesome to see the younger generation getting a kick out of shooting.

wedgehead30
09-03-10, 17:31
And your eyes aren't.

Sorry, after having been behind the trigger on several KaBooms, I've become an eye pro nazi.....

No need to be sorry. Dad (me) dropped the ball on that one. Fortunately all went well this time. I know better and should have caught it at the time...... I'm not instilling very good shooting safety habits. :(

Scott

TOrrock
09-03-10, 17:35
Not trying to beat you up at all, my dad, who taught me how to shoot, didn't even have ear plugs handy when I was a 6 year old behind the trigger of a 10/22 in 1977, but times and attitudes were different back then.

I really do think it's great that your son had a great time with that blaster. Just look at the smile on his face, those are memories he'll always have.

I had a civilian owned transferrable M60 k-boom on me a few years ago, and it made a lasting impression to say the least.

JChops
09-03-10, 19:42
Your son is handling that NFA FAL better than most adults handle a semi. Cool videos!

Safetyhit
09-03-10, 20:20
Not trying to beat you up at all, my dad, who taught me how to shoot, didn't even have ear plugs handy when I was a 6 year old behind the trigger of a 10/22 in 1977, but times and attitudes were different back then.

Yes they were different, and I also often lacked the proper eye and ear protection as a youngster. Few in my large family of shooters used them enough, if ever.

You didn't beat him up, just gave good practical advice which fortunately seems well appreciated.

Von Rheydt
09-03-10, 20:24
I was weaned on the L1A1 SLR so I like seeing FAL's, thank you.

ryu_sekai
09-03-10, 20:26

My friends and I were at the range engaging some steel targets, a 9mm came flying back and and cut my right arm pretty deep. you never know..

PRGGodfather
09-03-10, 20:32
Yup, I've caught plenty of copper shrap and building materialas over the years -- in the hands, face, eyebrows, ears, bridge of the nose -- and an entire generation of cops before me are as deaf as stones.

Sometimes we get lucky. Eyes and ears are a must.

Good job of teaching your lad to shoot. That's a great legacy. Take care of each other.

Best,
Alan

wedgehead30
09-03-10, 21:10
I bet he had a blast !:D

No pun intended, but yes he did have a blast. He still has a smile on his face.:D

Keeping that kid in ammo is EXPENSIVE! But worth it. He doesn't have any interest in other organized activities so I try to keep him busy, and out of trouble, with shooting. He shoots pretty regularly with me at the local club level. He just got his own G-19 this year and has been making a lot of 9mm brass orphans with it.

I started his full auto education young with a Thompson at age 7. He's been rolling ever since. Being a cops kid he has access to a lot of fun stuff via his numerous "uncles". Pretty much the rule is you feed it and you can shoot it. Now he's saving up for the mini-gun. Not gonna be cheap for him or me. Cuz somehow I seem to pay.............:smile:

Scott

wedgehead30
09-03-10, 21:14
You didn't beat him up, just gave good practical advice which fortunately seems well appreciated.

Good advice is always appreciated. No heartburn on my end.

Scott
:D

Belmont31R
09-03-10, 21:31
No pun intended, but yes he did have a blast. He still has a smile on his face.:D

Keeping that kid in ammo is EXPENSIVE! But worth it. He doesn't have any interest in other organized activities so I try to keep him busy, and out of trouble, with shooting. He shoots pretty regularly with me at the local club level. He just got his own G-19 this year and has been making a lot of 9mm brass orphans with it.

I started his full auto education young with a Thompson at age 7. He's been rolling ever since. Being a cops kid he has access to a lot of fun stuff via his numerous "uncles". Pretty much the rule is you feed it and you can shoot it. Now he's saving up for the mini-gun. Not gonna be cheap for him or me. Cuz somehow I seem to pay.............:smile:

Scott

Its a good thing.

I got into guns when I was a kid because my neighbor saw me shooting a BB gun, and asked about then. Then one of his pits mauled a chicken of ours. He had "real" guns, and let me shoot the chicken with a 22LR revolver. He paid for a replacement of course but he offered to teach me how to shoot. Then I got into trap shooting at a local informal trap range, then got into ATA competition trap, traveled all over the west competing, and then joined the Army. Got into AR's during my 2nd deployment (spent half my deployment pay on guns), and the rest is history.

Definitely a good thing to get young ones interested in guns, and feeding their desires. My dad used to stop by Wal-Mart on the way home to grab some 100 round packs of shells so I could go shooting, took time off to take me to a competition, ect. I still wear buckles I won shooting, custom engraved pewter coasters, memories, ect. I had an old guy that coached me when I shot competitively, and have a belt buckle from the memorial shoot after he died. Looking back I don't really remember HS all that much and all that BS. I remember the shooting, the old guys telling stories around the burn barrel in the winter, the games we used to play for money, ect. I started out with an 870 Express (I still have), and when I stopped shooting I had a very expensive Beretta combo.

As long as the kid is receptive I think guns are a great way to teach youngsters responsibility, instill a competitive drive in them, and give them some self confidence.

rrpederson
09-03-10, 21:47
that is awesome, bringing the boy up the right way. reminds me of me and dad going out to the range. thanks.