PDA

View Full Version : Replace S&W M&P9 w/M&P9c?

Tomac
09-03-10, 19:03
Recently acquired a new M&P9 w/APEX sear/striker plate and I love it. Added Trijicon night sights, picked up some extra mags, etc and was planning on running it during a 2-day defensive handgun course next month.

However, while the wife liked shooting the M&P9 she didn't care for the size (she's petite) so I ordered an M&P9c (w/the same APEX parts) from Grant for her as she likes how it feels much better than the fullsize (great service & fast shipping, thx Grant!).

Anywho, I tried it out at the range yesterday side-by-side w/my fullsize and now *I* really like the 9c (I seem to shoot it just about as quick & accurately as the fullsize) and am seriously considering selling/trading my fullsize for a 9c that would be my CCW & nightstand gun.

So, should I replace the fullsize w/a compact? All input welcome, thx!...
Tomac

macman37
09-03-10, 19:19
Supplement, yes. Replace? No.

Keep both and voila, now you have magazine interchangeability if something bad happens.

JMHO obviously.

RogerinTPA
09-03-10, 19:29
Agreed. Keep both (His 9....hers 9c). You can use the FS Mags in the 9c. I do it all the time.

Tomac
09-03-10, 19:35
If I could afford it I'd just buy another 9c for myself. Unfortunately that's not in the financial cards right this moment, hence my toying w/the idea of selling/trading the fullsize 9 for a 9c that would serve CCW as well as nightstand duty.
Tomac

GermanSynergy
09-03-10, 19:37
If I could afford it I'd just buy another 9c for myself. Unfortunately that's not in the financial cards right this moment, hence my toying w/the idea of selling/trading the fullsize 9 for a 9c that would serve CCW as well as nightstand duty.
Tomac

Just my 2 kopecks here.... Don't sell a proven performer. Save the coin to get the gun you want. I have the 9 and 9C and won't part with either.:dirol:

SEDADOG1
09-03-10, 20:11
I took a look at a 9c and my pinky hangs off the bottom of the grip. How do you guys deal with that? X-grip or do you just get used to shooting that way?

willowofwisp
09-03-10, 20:13
honestly I would hold onto the 9 and save for a 9c down the road...its really nice to have a full size gun....while I do love my 9c I wouldn't trade off a full size off.

Seraph
09-03-10, 20:26
You'll regret selling. Keep it, and buy another Compact later, as these other guys have suggested. I think it's a good idea to have redundant copies of your defensive sidearms, but don't lose money on a trade to get there.

mnoe82
09-03-10, 20:37
I say keep it and save money for another compact.

My first M&P was a full size. I bought it thinking I could conceal it and shoot it for fun. I got into competition shooting and to get an advantage I traded my full size on a Pro. I then bought a 9c for CCW. I wish I had my full size back. It would be nice to have one for any occasion. I understand about the money being tight though.

RogerinTPA
09-03-10, 20:45
I took a look at a 9c and my pinky hangs off the bottom of the grip. How do you guys deal with that? X-grip or do you just get used to shooting that way?

Combination of both for me. Since Ben @ Boresightsolutions has 2 of my full size M&Ps (9 & 40) held hostage for the last few months :p, I've been forced to use my 9c as my primary training gun and my M&P45 as a back up. Since the end of May, I've gotten quite used to shooting the 9c with and without the pinky extender, as well as with the full size mags with the X-grip. Adapt and overcome.:rolleyes:

nickdrak
09-03-10, 21:10
Keep the full size M&P9. I feel it is a great compromise size-wise for both a on-duty & off-duty CCW.

straitR
09-04-10, 00:35
Does your wife CCW the 9c, or is it just "her gun"? If not, then carry it yourself and give it back to her in the PM.

If it's the grip length of the 9c you like better, then another option is to send it to Bowie Tactical and have him shorten the grip to take compact magazines. I believe he charges $70 for the service so it's better on the wallet as well. That would make for an amazing CCW piece, IMO.

If that's not your taste, then I agree with what everyone else has said, keep the 9 and save up for another 9c.

Jerm
09-04-10, 00:44
I'd shoot them alot more before making a decision. When I first got my compact I thought I shot it really well. But after really pushing both of them over a few thousand rounds the FS was clearly better for everything but comfort/concealment... And not enough so to trump the advantages of the full size IMO.

I ended up selling my compact for another FS.

willowofwisp
09-04-10, 05:01
Does your wife CCW the 9c, or is it just "her gun"? If not, then carry it yourself and give it back to her in the PM.

If it's the grip length of the 9c you like better, then another option is to send it to Bowie Tactical and have him shorten the grip to take compact magazines. I believe he charges $70 for the service so it's better on the wallet as well. That would make for an amazing CCW piece, IMO.

If that's not your taste, then I agree with what everyone else has said, keep the 9 and save up for another 9c.

its 125$ and a 4 month wait for Bowie's work and personally I rather go with Burwell he does a g19 sized grip chop which should have better balance and handling skills versus the bowie version.

Beat Trash
09-04-10, 12:48
Tomac

It would depend on a few things. Do you plan on carrying the gun as a CCW? Is the full size too big for you to carry as it relates to your build?

It is true that many people can carry a full size gun concealed with the proper holster, and the desire (I've been dong so for years). But many feel they can carry a compact gun with more comfort than the full size.

I have stopped trying to argue the point...

If you really like the full size gun, and feel comfortable carrying it, keep it. If you would be more adapt to carry the compact on a consistent basis, then get another compact.

If switching, I would not be in a rush to sell off the gun at a huge loss. Try to get as much of your money back as possible.

The good thing for the OP is that, at least in my opinion, either gun he decides upon will serve his needs.