PDA

View Full Version : FF rail for a middy without removing front sight available yet?

Rmplstlskn
09-03-10, 19:53
Wondering if a DD Omega or some other vendor has a free-float rail system for a mid-length gas system that does not require one to remove front sight base available yet?

I am still using the two-piece YHM that is no FF... It works, but wiuld like a FF...
http://www.wwyd.org/images/Rmpl/Sabre (1) (Medium).JPG

Rmpl

M4Fundi
09-03-10, 20:15
click on the DD link above
click on the Rails icon on their sight
click on Omega Rails
click on Omega Mid Length Rail:eek:

JSGlock34
09-03-10, 20:16
Troy MRF (http://store.troyind.com/9_MRF_M_Carbine_Rails_for_M4_AR15_Mid_Carbines_p/srai-mrf-m9bt-00.htm) should work.

Iraqgunz
09-03-10, 20:19
That's what I thought as well.

Troy MRF (http://store.troyind.com/9_MRF_M_Carbine_Rails_for_M4_AR15_Mid_Carbines_p/srai-mrf-m9bt-00.htm) should work.

Rmplstlskn
09-03-10, 20:35
Thanks... Been out of the gear loop for awhile.

DD for $315 or the Troy for $199... Big difference!

I have owned a early Troy MRF for a Carbine before and I thought them to be on the heavy side... DD weight is 9.7oz., but Troy just says it adds only 7oz. to a weight of an M4.

Any feedback on the two?

Rmpl

JSGlock34
09-03-10, 21:30
I'd say you summed it up quite well. The Troy MRF is one of the heavier rails out there. DD is on the lighter side but pricey. They both meet your requirements. Both are well made, quality items.

The Solid
09-03-10, 23:06
check out and watch the equipment exchange board here and on other forums you can pick up DD omegas for a really good price. The last set of Omega 9 I bought I got for $180. They are worth the retail price but are really really worth it at a discount.

Nav195
09-04-10, 00:42
The Troy is actually on the lighter side. I juSt sold my 9" mrf 7oz compared to the midwest ind. I had before Which was 14oz.
Troy
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/nav195/f0621920.jpg

bkb0000
09-04-10, 01:33
DD weight is 9.7oz., but Troy just says it adds only 7oz. to a weight of an M4.

add the weight of mid-length plastic handguard to 7oz, and there's the troy weight. carbine plastic handguards weigh about 6.5oz, if memory serves, so the mid-length guards probably weigh 8.5ishoz

the DD is more, but it's lighter. just depends on you.

JSGlock34
09-04-10, 07:32
The Troy is actually on the lighter side. I juSt sold my 9" mrf 7oz compared to the midwest ind. I had before Which was 14oz.

The 9" Troy actually weighs 15.79 ounces according to Rob's FF rail chart here (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html). As said before, you need to add the weight of the plastic handguards to arrive at the Troy's true weight.

By comparison the DD Omega 9" weighs in at 12.23oz. So there is a weight savings in going with the DD.

I owned a Troy MRF - nicely designed rail system, and like the OP I didn't want to remove the front sight block for installation. I moved onto something lighter later, and Troy now offers one of the leading lightweight offerings (the TRX Extreme and Troy/VTAC Extreme). But you have to pull off the front sight block and barrel nut to use those, so the MRF still has its place in the Troy lineup.

One thing to note about the Troy MRF series - you will have to remove the delta ring assembly. Easily done with a dremel, but a step the DD Omega will not require.

Rmplstlskn
09-04-10, 09:24
Thanks for the info everyone... I think I am going to keep an eye open for an EE used Omega...

It's weird how an ounce here and an ounce there really adds up fast... An ounce seems like such a little weight, until they add up... Having a 16" Sabre middy makes one want to cut any ounces possible...

Rmpl

bkb0000
09-04-10, 10:07
By comparison the DD Omega 9" weighs in at 12.23oz. So there is a weight savings in going with the DD.

the 9" DD weighs 9.something. the 12.23oz you've got there is including the barrel nut and delta assembly. if you include them for the DD. adding the 2oz for the barrel nut to the troy, and you get even heavier by comparison. 19.somethingoz

mtdawg169
09-04-10, 10:54
Really hard to go wrong with the Omega rails. Stickman has a great installation "how to" thread over on Weaponevolution also.

JSGlock34
09-04-10, 11:02
the 9" DD weighs 9.something. the 12.23oz you've got there is including the barrel nut and delta assembly. if you include them for the DD. adding the 2oz for the barrel nut to the troy, and you get even heavier by comparison. 19.somethingoz

Believe we're actually comparing apples and apples here - according to Rob's chart the 15.79 oz for the Troy includes the barrel nut and handguard cap.

Robb Jensen
09-04-10, 11:08
The Daniel Defense 9" Omega would be my first choice on a 16" middy barrel where I couldn't remove the FSB (perm. mounted flash hider).

HeavyDuty
09-04-10, 11:25
Don't forget to take cross section into account - Omega is narrow/oblong while IIRC the Troy is rounder. It makes a big difference to me.

JSGlock34
09-04-10, 11:31
It's weird how an ounce here and an ounce there really adds up fast... An ounce seems like such a little weight, until they add up... Having a 16" Sabre middy makes one want to cut any ounces possible...

This is the most important insight - in my opinion - into shaving weight off your rifle. Weight savings in an AR is a game of ounces, not pounds. I've gotten more than few strange looks when asked why I preferred one piece of gear over another and replied 'Well, this one is four ounces lighter.' Make that decision three or four times when choosing gear in favor of the lighter component and 'suddenly' your rifle is a pound lighter than the other guy's.

If your goal is weight savings and you can afford the DD Omega, it would get my vote as well. The upcoming Centurion Arms rail will also bear watching for this application (adding a freefloat rail without removing the FSB) as it appears to combine lightweight design with a mounting system similar to the Troy.

The Solid
09-04-10, 11:41
I also think taking weapon modification into account is a big plus for the DD omega. Granted most wouldn't consider something as simple as removing castle nut as much of a modification, but it has nixed a few sales on rifles I was looking to get rid of. With the Omega you can return the rifle to original, simply by removing the rails.