PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Question

JR TACTICAL
09-03-10, 22:52
I have noticed alot of pictures of different Magpul items that have a kind of rough textured appearance to them, I was wondering if this is an add on to the Magpul items or if you can buy them like that???

Just wondering

Hmac
09-03-10, 22:56
Probably stippled with a soldering gun

JR TACTICAL
09-03-10, 23:08
copy that, I was just wondering

Whootsinator
09-04-10, 03:09
If you can provide example photos we can give you a definite answer.

devilsdeeds
09-04-10, 12:45
It's called stippling, there is one place that will stipple xtm panels but I forget where. It's easy enough to just do it yourself though.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/devilheals/Guns/stippledark.jpg

michael word
09-04-10, 14:55
How does that feel to the hands after a while. Do you get raw spots and blisters on your hands after carrying it for a while or is it fairly soft?

rychencop
09-04-10, 14:57
It's called stippling, there is one place that will stipple xtm panels but I forget where. It's easy enough to just do it yourself though.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/devilheals/Guns/stippledark.jpg

that's a nice job...what was used to do it?

Joeywhat
09-04-10, 14:58
That depends entirely on the stippling, and how tough your hands are. I've done some pretty aggressive stippling on my stuff and it does get sore at first...however if you use it long enough your hands get used to it plus the stippling wears down with time and use. After a while you get a nice happy median where it still grips great, but it's worn enough/hands built up a tolerance to where it doesn't hurt.

That being said worst I've ever had were some minor blisters. Nothing too bad.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-04-10, 16:02
What is your prefered tool for stippling? Wood burning tool? Soldering iron? I'd like to do some work on the MagPul mags. I've seen some that look like they have grip tape on them, but it was actually stippling.

JSantoro
09-04-10, 16:25
Either will work. I use a soldering iron, but unless I miss some context, I believe that wood burners operate at a lower temperature and make it easier to control how you might texture your surface. With softer material, like the backstrap of an M&P, it's easier for flub what you're trying to accomplish if the iron is really hot.

There are models of each out there that allow you to control the temp you use, but that's not a requirement, either.

Practicing on a piece that you don't care about, whether cosmetically or at all, is a good first step toward finding out what works and what doesn't, regardless of what tool you end up using.