PDA

View Full Version : Hone defense shotgun shopping

Slater
09-04-10, 14:07
I'm looking for an HD shotgun (having sold my other one several years ago to fund another purchase). Looking around in the local gun shops, one sees Mossberg 590's, Benelli SuperNova tacticals, and Remington 870 Express HD's.

I know that any quality brand will work, and (after handling them all) they all fit me pretty well. I hate to do a "Brand X vs Brand Y" thing, but (considering the above choices), does any one stand out as being less problematic over the long term or better constructed than the others?

Jay Cunningham
09-04-10, 14:18
It's hard to beat the Remington 870.

Of course, you are going to get everyone's opinion on what works for them.

warpigM-4
09-04-10, 15:21
I agree the 870 Is a hard One to Beat I have a HD 870 and Love it ..

jwinch2
09-04-10, 15:36
I guess it depends on what you are after in a SG. I have a FNH SLP right now and I really like it. That being said, I am strongly considering selling it and getting a pump for HD purposes. My personal choice in pumps is the Winchester 1300 Defender as I feel it cycles more smoothly than the Remington 870 out of the box and I really like the ergonomics. However, I will admit there are more after market gadgets for the 870 which can certainly influence your decision. Its not so much that I don't like the 870, its that I really like the 1300. I don't have much trigger time on a Mossberg and I know those who despise and love them. I know the new Mossberg 930 spx has had some quality control issues which have been highly discussed on forums such as shotgun world and others. However, it seems to be selling well so it is no telling how widespread those problems may be.

Good luck with the decision. I always find it tough to really nail down what I am looking for in a weapons platform and subsequently make a choice.

Moose-Knuckle
09-04-10, 15:47
870 Police Magnum.

Avenger29
09-04-10, 15:52
Rem 870 Police. A great way to go is to find a used one and have your way with it...

If I brought a Mossberg, it'd be the 590A1.

SteveL
09-04-10, 20:38
From a price standpoint the pump guns are going to be significantly less expensive than the autoloaders. You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 590 or a Remington 870. I'm partial to the Mossberg myself, but that's just personal preference.

LOKNLOD
09-04-10, 21:08
I'm an 870 man myself, but wouldn't give up and eat the gun if all I had to defend myself was a 590.

The 590's safety location is more ambidextrous, if you're a lefty, but is also less friendly to running a pistol grip stock.

Thomas M-4
09-04-10, 21:09
Hone defense ?

You all ready started drinking with out me:sarcastic:

kartoffel
09-04-10, 21:17
The safety location is the biggest issue for me between Mossberg and Remington pump action shotguns. Figure out whether you want a cross bolt safety underneath, or an ambidextrous slider on top. Otherwise, it's pretty much a toss up. If you happen to come across an older Ithaca 37, they're really nice handling pump guns as well.

FWIW I keep a reliable (i.e. not box stock) Saiga-12 plus an old 870 Wingmaster as backup.

LHS
09-04-10, 22:23
Both the Remington and Mossy are good guns. It comes down to personal preference. I grew up with Remingtons, and like the way they feel. Others prefer Mossies. Pick your poison.

noyes
09-04-10, 22:34

chriskc04
09-04-10, 23:51
I've owned all three you mentioned. It's one of those Ford vs. Chevy things.

The supernova IS at a disadvantage from a parts availability standpoint. While it's a little weird having a rotating bolt on a pump shotgun, and the LOP is horrendous (I have the PG stock), I love the controls' locations. With the bolt forward, the elevator will stay in it's upward position once pushed there. This allows you to load without fighting it each round. While not a dealbreaker, it's a nice touch. Just like the shell release disconnect. I've had around 3k rounds through mine without a hiccup thus far. I know it's not a LOT, but it's a data point for you.

As far as "problematic" goes, I've seen fewer issues with the 870 than the 590. Any data I have on the SNTs is too small to be meaningful. If you're looking at the 870, check out the police models. There is actually a reason they cost more.

michael word
09-05-10, 00:16
My pic would be for a Mossberg 500 with a heavy 18.5" barrel and a speedfeed 4 stock. This is my current HD gun and the heavy barrel realy helps with recoil. The Mossberg has much better ejection and safety location than the 870 and the loading area is huch easier to use, since you do not ha a gate blocking you. I also have a streamlight TLR-1 mounted for low light use. Extended magazine tubes are not needed, in my opinion, for HD as most situations are going to be over in less than 5 rounds. If you need more than that, I think you are going to need a different gun.

Iraqgunz
09-05-10, 04:30
I have had Mossberg and Remington. I prefer Remington, but as stated it's a Ford v. Chevy thing.

Whatever you buy make sure you run it through it's paces, put a good light and sling on it.

SMOKEEATERFF
09-08-10, 11:25
I'd go with the 870. I've got a 20 gauge youth model so my wife can handle it. I don't think I want her to have to use my Nova with a 26" barrel.

Bill Bryant
09-08-10, 11:39
I have a Winchester 1300, and I had a Winchester 1200 before that. When I compared the 1300 to an 870 (ca. 1995) the Winchester action was smoother and faster, and the gun was lighter. I can see how a steel receiver would be a plus for an issued agency gun, but not for a properly cared for home defense tool. The Remingtons and Mossbergs are nice, but my vote would be to find a 1300 if you can.

Bill Bryant
09-08-10, 11:46
Let me just add that I would go with the gun I grew up hunting with if that's part of the equation. I grew up with Winchester, so the safety is at the "wrong" location on and 870. If you grew up shooting pheasant or turkey with an 870, the safety is "wrong" on a 1300. I recently got a Nova for pheasant and don't like it at all, not because it's a bad shotgun, but because old habits die hard when a rooster pops up out of the milo.

HETZ1313
09-08-10, 18:42
Remington 870

REDinFL
09-09-10, 07:39
I have an FN Tactical POlice. Nice shotgun. I'm more inclined to use the M4 for home defense, or a revolver with 38+p. Reason is the concussion and flash of the shotgun. Used to have the shotty set up for HD before I got the carbine, though as the rifle I had was too much for in house.

That said, as the others said "whatever fits". I would say the more important aspect of fit is how natural the stroking action is while pumping under stress. Your biggest risk in an emergency situation is the short-stroke, failing to load and possibly hanging up your gun. See how that part of the cycle feels to you. (My suspicion is the Mossberg is a better feeder).

Next, you want to add a light. No, we don't want to trick it out like a Tapco ad. But, you should have an easily switchable light so you can identify your target. I have a rail attachment that clamps to the barrel and tube - nothing exotic, got it at Midway. On it I have mounted a Streamlight M6 - high intensity light and red laser. ID target and help aim. Yes, you have to aim inside the home, a shotgun spreads about 1" per yard, so the shot pattern really is not a broadside of barn traveling at the perp, unlike the movies. BTW, my M4 has a light as well, for target ID. Nothing has to be fancy but it sure does have to work.

mlk18
09-09-10, 11:39
While I use the supplied Rem 870's at work, and they are good guns, I use Mossbergs for HD. I really like the Ghost Ring sights, they are very fast to pick up, and my Mossy's are smooth and fast shooters. Plus I picked up 2 of them used (barely shot police trade ins) for the cost of a new 870HD.

https://www.davescatalog.com/products/mos_51520.jpg

Nevermiss
09-09-10, 12:20
I'm definitely in the minority.

I use an FN SLP Mk1 22" barrel with a tri-rail and TLR-1 light with Federal Reduced Recoil 00 Buck and a Nordic +1 extension and extended bolt handle. It is the same shotgun that I use for 3 gun, except I take off the light/tri rail for 3 gun.

It has never malfunctioned and I shoot it more than any other shotgun so I feel very comfortable with it and this is why I decided to use it.

A pump would probably be a better option, but I just don't have time to practice with another shotgun.

ursus.peracto
09-18-10, 07:28
While I use the supplied Rem 870's at work, and they are good guns, I use Mossbergs for HD. I really like the Ghost Ring sights, they are very fast to pick up, and my Mossy's are smooth and fast shooters. Plus I picked up 2 of them used (barely shot police trade ins) for the cost of a new 870HD.

https://www.davescatalog.com/products/mos_51520.jpg

I did a lot of research on HD shotties and finally went with the 590a1. Pretty heavy gun but does help with the recoil (I like shooting slugs). I read a lot of forums stating that the 870s have a smoother action. Brand new the mossy wasn't smooth but after firing some rounds, she's really really smooth. I like the dual extractors too.

Like everyone else says "Ford vs. Chevy". Whatever you buy, you will like. Make sure that you shoot it!!!! :)

Caeser25
09-19-10, 10:32
I have a little :D bit of experience with a 590 in Iraq and own an 870. I honestly prefer the 590s controls, maybe it's just muscle memory :confused: Takedown is easier too.

C-grunt
09-21-10, 22:39
We used the 590s in Iraq and they ran great.

My dept uses 870-Ps and they run great.

Really just depends which one you like better.

ShortytheFirefighter
09-24-10, 13:35
As the others have stated, you really won't go wrong with either the Mossberg or the Remington. It'll really come down to which one you prefer to handle and take apart. I own one of each (870 Police Magnum and 590A1) and love both of them for the same reason: They'll both go bang when I pull the trigger.

Slater
09-25-10, 22:01
FYI, went with the Mossy 590A1 and have one on order.

Skang
09-26-10, 00:44
benelli supernove tactical?:cool:

platoonDaddy
09-26-10, 04:24
Personally I love my 870

Kentucky Cop
09-27-10, 19:57
Buds just got a shit ton of Nebraska state police Remington 870's on trade in. I took a look at them. Everything from never used to used and abused then put up wet.......

Some of them had a few good stories associated with them I am sure of. I believe they were all synthetic stocks if anyone was looking for a cheap HD shotty from the great state of Nebraska.

KC

ChicagoTex
09-28-10, 14:18
Surprised no one's yet mentioned this so I will. I've run 870s and 590s fairly extensively in clay shooting and found that the lighter receiver of the 590 came with too much of a recoil penalty for me to tolerate for 200+ rounds a day. To shoot a 590 comfortably in that volume, I had to step down to a 20ga, the 870 12ga on the other hand was just fine for me. I realize this isn't a DIRECT parallel as I was doing sport shooting with sport guns, not HD, but I figured it'd be useful anyway. As always, YMMV.

snake171
09-28-10, 22:24
Guess I just got bored with 25 years of issued pumps (mostly 870's), so I thought I'd think "outside the box" and picked up a Saiga-12. Very fun gun to shoot, I liked the detachable mag, but found it to be less than 100% reliable, which was a problem.

I went ahead and converted it myself (legal 922r), added a MD Arms 20rd. drum and a Tac47 auto-plug. The combination of the drum and gas plug solved all the reliability problems. With the plug, there's no need to adjust for over/undergassing or high/low brass. I've done three drum-dumps and had zero issues, other than my shoulder.

Being semi-auto, there's no operator-induced short-cycling, and shooting it in a high-stress environment is as easy as pulling the trigger. Obviously, worries about reloading are eliminated with 20 rounds in the drum.

I did add a muzzle brake (Saiga-12's come with threaded barrels), a tri-rail for a Surefire M900A and one of my older EOTech 512's.

Overkill? Probably. But it is one COOL shotgun, and I'd definitely feel comfortable with it in a HD or SHTF situation. You can always stick a 5 or 10rd mag in it if you want to lighten it up or reduce it's profile.

Just something else to consider.

500grains
09-28-10, 22:30
I vote for something fun like the FN or Benelli.

However, I have a three 870 riot guns, a Browning BPS riot gun, and an Ithaca model 37 riot gun. The Ithaca is from the 1950s or early 1960s and is excellent quality. I love it because it is really fast.

But I still prefer a semi auto for HD.

Glock17JHP
11-03-10, 13:25
I have a Winchester 1300, and I had a Winchester 1200 before that. When I compared the 1300 to an 870 (ca. 1995) the Winchester action was smoother and faster, and the gun was lighter. I can see how a steel receiver would be a plus for an issued agency gun, but not for a properly cared for home defense tool. The Remingtons and Mossbergs are nice, but my vote would be to find a 1300 if you can.

Agree 100%...

Had 3 Remington 870 Police shotguns first... liked them except they seemed a little prone to 'short-shucking'. Sometimes they would end up with a shell under the loading gate/flap underneath the receiver. This requires removing the trigger assembly unless your shotgun is modified.

Never had the problem again once I bought my Winchester Defender 8-shot... maybe the 'Speed Pump' feature helps with this...

556A2
11-03-10, 16:23

Don't buy into the 870P marketing hype, it is vastly overpriced compared to the basic 18" Express with +2 extension.

Just add a milled extractor & heavy carrier dog return spring to bring it pretty much up to 870P specs for about $15.

ChicagoTex
11-03-10, 22:48

Don't buy into the 870P marketing hype, it is vastly overpriced compared to the basic 18" Express with +2 extension.

Just add a milled extractor & heavy carrier dog return spring to bring it pretty much up to 870P specs for about $15.

While I generally agree with this, I have a couple things to add:

1. I recommend installing the 8lb police sear spring aswell. I realize 8lbs sounds like a lot, but on a shotgun it really isn't, especially when you consider how close the safety is to the trigger on the 870. This is also the final mod you need to make an express truly equivalent to a Police in basic function.

2. One of the penalties you pay for running an express is the crappy Matte finish, it's definetely serviceable for a gun that'll sit in the safe/lock/under the bed or whatever for 98% of it's life, but if you're in the habit of running the gun hard you need to accept that it's gonna start looking like crap in short order and you're gonna have to be more diligent regarding keeping exposed metal rust-free.

556A2
11-04-10, 02:06
While I generally agree with this, I have a couple things to add:

1. I recommend installing the 8lb police sear spring aswell. I realize 8lbs sounds like a lot, but on a shotgun it really isn't, especially when you consider how close the safety is to the trigger on the 870. This is also the final mod you need to make an express truly equivalent to a Police in basic function.

2. One of the penalties you pay for running an express is the crappy Matte finish, it's definetely serviceable for a gun that'll sit in the safe/lock/under the bed or whatever for 98% of it's life, but if you're in the habit of running the gun hard you need to accept that it's gonna start looking like crap in short order and you're gonna have to be more diligent regarding keeping exposed metal rust-free.

Just a couple of things I'll add to your things: :)

1. Remington is not using the 8lb sear spring anymore in the Police line. Plus a heavy trigger is detrimental to accuracy in nearly all platforms, so I don't see any reason to use the 8lb sear spring at all. While accuracy can be a oxymoron when using the term shotgun, with slugs & Federal Tactical the shotgun can be very accurate.

2. If you take care of the Express Matte Blue the same way you take care of the Police Parkerization it will never rust. Its rough just like Parkerization, and will soak up oil like parkerization. Just treat it the same way, and rust will never be an issue.

FWIW in my real-world use with the finishes rusting:
F-I-L's 870 Express rusted after 2 days being in a salt water soaked softcase after a coastal duck hunt. Took off with 0000 steel wool & CLP with no pitting.

Personal 870 Police rusted after 4-5 days after shooting a 3-gun match. No moisture, just human sweat. Did not clean it at all because I still believed the Parkerization was superior. :o Took off with 0000 steel wool & CLP with no pitting.

The best way to tell if your 870E need some oil to prevent corrosion is if it has a light gray look. A well-oiled 870E will look nearly black.

ChicagoTex
11-04-10, 08:23
Plus a heavy trigger is detrimental to accuracy in nearly all platforms, so I don't see any reason to use the 8lb sear spring at all. While accuracy can be a oxymoron when using the term shotgun, with slugs & Federal Tactical the shotgun can be very accurate.

I certainly agree with the accuracy potential of an 870. I'm running mine with rifle sights and gonna start stoking it with Federal Flite Control/Truball. I have an 8lb sear spring on my 870 (I actually wound up buying a used Express that had had the entire trigger assembly replaced with a Police assembly and the extractor swapped out for the milled one, but priced and sold as an express 'cause the gun shop guy didn't know any better :D) and find it to be so smooth and crisp as to be no detriment to accuracy despite the relatively high weight. Plus, the 8lb sear spring is a little extra insurance against inadvertent release if the gun gets seriously bumped with a loaded chamber. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think the thing that bothers me the most about the stock express spring is that it's officially 3.5-5.5lbs - IMO that's too wide a range. I could be comfortable with 5-5.5lbs but any less is too close to hair trigger territory for my tastes, so I'll take 8lbs for sure over maybe 3.5lbs.

As always YMMV and opinions differ, but hopefully this discourse will help the OP make a more informed decision.

panzerr
11-04-10, 09:25
I have a Scattergun Tech 870, which I like just fine, but I've been considering a coach gun for some time now. They're compact and light and with practice reloading is quick.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_side_by_sides.php

Slater
11-04-10, 16:10
Update: Bought this one:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/002-2.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/001-7.jpg

MountainRaven
11-04-10, 19:05
I would recommend taking down the picture with the end of the box, importing the picture into Paint and then "redacting" the serial number before re-posting the image.

556A2
11-04-10, 19:51
Not a Mossberg fan, but the 590A1 is a good choice. :)

ChicagoTex
11-04-10, 19:54
Not a Mossberg fan, but the 590A1 is a good choice.

Same here. Now just be sure to shoot it a bunch to verify function, get used to the stroke, recoil, and patterning and smooth it out a bit (well-used pumps are always smoother, it's magnificent).

Glock17JHP
11-04-10, 20:02
I have a Scattergun Tech 870, which I like just fine, but I've been considering a coach gun for some time now. They're compact and light and with practice reloading is quick.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_side_by_sides.php

Specifically which one are you interested in?

Glock17JHP
11-04-10, 20:09
OK... since we are posting pictures of our favorites... here is mine...

I had a 'Surefire' forend on it for a while, but I didn't like the feel of it so I switched back to stock configuration after a while. Recently I added a green-colored 'Tru-Glo' front sight, but this picture was taken prior to that recent change...

GaryO
11-23-10, 07:12

Are'nt parts problematic for a 1300?

Tzoid
11-23-10, 07:54
I didn't read every post but if it's not been said yet I will say it. Don't buy a Benelli Super Nova Tactical. I own one and it runs perfect however there are hardly any accessories available and the LOP is way too long. I had to cut off 2 " on the butt stock to fix that problem. If I had to do it over again I would go with a Remington 870.

Glock17JHP
11-23-10, 16:07
Are'nt parts problematic for a 1300?

Contact Winchester directly by phone... it was easy to request a spare mag spring. Never needed to replace anything yet, though... in well over a decade of pretty hard use...

300WM
11-23-10, 21:10
Remington 870 tac or Winchester 1300 Defender, if you can talk someone into selling theirs. The 1300, in excellent cond. is increasing in value. Not sell one and retire value, but at least it is ^. My choices, anyway. Didn't see it mentioned, but Tri Star makes a good tactical with 3 mods. to choose from. They carry a five year warranty. They are worth a look. Too many imports on this thread to freak out about the Tri Star.

Beat Trash
11-28-10, 14:25
Remington 870 tac or Winchester 1300 Defender, if you can talk someone into selling theirs. The 1300, in excellent cond. is increasing in value. Not sell one and retire value, but at least it is ^. My choices, anyway. Didn't see it mentioned, but Tri Star makes a good tactical with 3 mods. to choose from. They carry a five year warranty. They are worth a look. Too many imports on this thread to freak out about the Tri Star.

Really?

I have a 1300 defender like new in the box (still got the box). I couldn't give it away at a show a couple of years ago.

I prefer the 870 home defender models, mainly because I've been using the 870 for over 30 years, kind of used to them by now.

I'd trade my 1300 for an 870 hd in a heartbeat!

I kind of like the 18" Mossberg 590A1's. I just like the feel of them over the 20" guns. Just can't justify the $ for a new shotgun right now though.

Glock17JHP
11-28-10, 21:15
Beat Trash,

Specifically which 1300 Defender model do you have (barrel length, finish, magazine capacity)? I like some a lot better than others...

300WM
11-28-10, 23:06
Really?

I have a 1300 defender like new in the box (still got the box). I couldn't give it away at a show a couple of years ago.

I prefer the 870 home defender models, mainly because I've been using the 870 for over 30 years, kind of used to them by now.

I'd trade my 1300 for an 870 hd in a heartbeat!

I kind of like the 18" Mossberg 590A1's. I just like the feel of them over the 20" guns. Just can't justify the $ for a new shotgun right now though.

Taking that gun to a show is the same as taking it to a pawn shop.

Beat Trash
11-29-10, 02:52
Beat Trash,

Specifically which 1300 Defender model do you have (barrel length, finish, magazine capacity)? I like some a lot better than others...

It's an 18" blued with the black plastic furniture. The capacity is 7 rds. The magazine tube is the same length as the barrel.

Glock17JHP
11-29-10, 13:11
Beat Trash,

I am surprised you can't find a buyer for the synthetic-stocked 8-shot Defender. I know guys who would want it right now!!!

300WM
11-30-10, 19:36
Yes, including me, as I am a 1300 Defender fan. Let's deal.

m24shooter
12-01-10, 18:11
I know of several people on Shotgunworld that would probably want it. Dhart on here likes them too.

TheGreenRanger24
12-11-10, 02:49
I just had a quick question for you guys. I have recently come across a used Remington 870 Wingmaster for about 200 and wondered if that's a pretty good deal. I've looked at the outside of the weapon and into the chamber and it seemed to be in pretty good shape, but I have never purchased a weapon before. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when thinking about buying a shotgun (or any weapon for that matter)?

I have no idea how old the weapon is, but the outside finish made me think the weapon had not been used much (or maybe re-blued?) showing just a bit of use like someone had pumped it more than shot it. The chamber (from what I saw) did not seem to have any rust or anything. The stock had a spot or two where the finish had worn a bit where your hand goes, but that was about it. Oh, it also has a 20" barrel. Money is a bit tight right now, but it seemed like it might make a good home defense weapon. What do y'all think?

Also, can you dry fire a shotgun, or is that a bad idea. Thanks

ChicagoTex
12-11-10, 03:00
$200 for a Wingmaster in good shape is an absolute steal. If you don't jump on it, please tell us who this person is so we can.

And whether or not it's safe to dry-fire a shotgun varies from design to design, but all of the modern combat-capable shotguns are dry-fireable (including the 870).

TheGreenRanger24
12-11-10, 03:10
$200 for a Wingmaster in good shape is an absolute steal. If you don't jump on it, please tell us who this person is so we can.

And whether or not it's safe to dry-fire a shotgun varies from design to design, but all of the modern combat-capable shotguns are dry-fireable (including the 870).

How much is a used WM worth?

It's actually at a Gander Mt. If I don't jump on the deal myself here in a few days, I might divulge a little more info. :laugh:

Scotty
12-11-10, 16:04
Update: Bought this one:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/002-2.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/001-7.jpg

Hey I got the same gun. Shot it today too. Put about a hundred shells through it, and it runs great.

Glock17JHP
12-11-10, 21:14
How much is a used WM worth?

It's actually at a Gander Mt. If I don't jump on the deal myself here in a few days, I might divulge a little more info. :laugh:

Your description of the 870 Wingmaster with a 20" barrel sounds like the deer hunting model, if it has a checkered stock and forend, adjustable rifle sights, a shiny blued finish and a shiny finish on the wood. This model typically has an IC choke and 20" barrel. This model would be a wonderful HD weapon, LE uses one just like it but with a more utilitarian finish, but other than the finish it is the same weapon. Can you verify if it has the features I just listed above?

Yes, $200 would be a steal!!! If it were me, I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!

TheGreenRanger24
12-11-10, 22:46
Your description of the 870 Wingmaster with a 20" barrel sounds like the deer hunting model, if it has a checkered stock and forend, adjustable rifle sights, a shiny blued finish and a shiny finish on the wood. This model typically has an IC choke and 20" barrel. This model would be a wonderful HD weapon, LE uses one just like it but with a more utilitarian finish, but other than the finish it is the same weapon. Can you verify if it has the features I just listed above?

Yes, $200 would be a steal!!! If it were me, I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!

I think it just had a bead sight, but the rest of your description sounds about right. BTW, I don't know much about chokes, so how would I check on that?

On a side note, I'm currently waiting to hear about a job offer, so hopefully I can scrape together some cash. :)

DHart
12-13-10, 02:56
Winchester 1300 Defender 18" 8-shot, Mossberg 500 or 590 18.5" 6-shot, and Remington 870P 18.5" 5-shot are all favorites of mine. None of these guns have mag extensions and that's something about them that I really value. Mag extensions are generally pretty reliable, but I just don't like 'em and much prefer a mag tube that's full length and one, solid piece. That factor catapults the Winchester 1300 Defender with it's 8-shot capacity and one-piece mag tube to first place for me. And it's a bonus that the action is so fast and slick.

My second choice would be the 500/590 with 18" barrel and 6-shot capacity. I like the dual extractors, unobstructed feed port, and controls positioning, but they lose two shots in capacity vs the Defender. The 20" 590 offers a 9-shot capacity with a one piece mag tube, but I find mine just a bit unwieldy for a home defense, on-the-move shotgun. They are great as a hunkered down, come-and-get me shotgun, though.

I do like the 870P quite a bit, but with a 5-shot capacity (without extension) the 870 is not my first or second choice for defense duties. Very nice gun though. I could put an extension on any of my 870Ps, but I'm just not a fan of extensions and with the 1300 on hand, I don't need to be concerned with extensions. Sure would be nice if Remington would offer a full length mag tube version of 870, but they are content with sticking an extension on and calling it good.

One of the biggest drawbacks of a shotgun for defense as compared to other weapons is the relatively low capacity. That's why, for me, capacity plays a fairly big role in my choice of shotgun for defense purposes and that's the main reason why I like the 1300 Defender so much.

As for accessories, you can get plenty of stocks, rails, lights, light mounts, etc. For any of these models. There is nothing I desire for my Winchester 1300 Defenders that I cannot get. These are awesome shotguns and the 8-shot capacity with one piece mag tube and 18" barrel is a winning set up for a defense shotgun.

Glock17JHP
12-13-10, 13:04
TheGreenRanger24,

The choke will be stamped into the barrel, near the back portion. It may only say: IC, or maybe: Imp Cyl, or something similar. Whether the sights are rifle or bead, it is a good buy. The rifle sights are a plus for shooting slugs or super tight patterning buckshot like Federal 'FlightControl'.

DHart,

I agree with your thoughts on the 1300 defender 8-shot... 100%!!!