PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 question

Von Rheydt
09-05-10, 16:33
I have just got myself a Glock 17 Gen 4 and want to get some nice cheap mags. So I had a look around the interweb and found some original Glock mags for $19'ish.

Then confusion set in as the seller started mentioing that they are to fit a G17SF. What is this? Will they fit my humble G17. Should I shop elsewhere and if so where is cheap?

Thanks in advance for help.

bgoode
09-05-10, 16:38
Shop elsewhere. Never heard of a G17SF. You will be happier with 1 $30 mag than 2 crappy $20 mags.

JHC
09-05-10, 16:39
Any Glock 17 OEM mags will run in your Gen 4 unless you switch the mag release to the left side. Then you're limited to Gen 4 mags.
I'm running ancient 10rd Clinton mags through Gen 4 mags through three Gen 4's without any problems.

Von Rheydt
09-05-10, 16:41
Brian, Thats where the confusion arises, they are real Glock steel lined mags but I too have not heard of the G17SF.

JHC, thanks for that.

M4arc
09-05-10, 16:44
They are perfectly fine. The "SF" mags are the ones that have the cross-boltish cutout in the front of the magazine. At one time, and for a small run, Glock produced a G17SF and a G19SF for one customer in Europe. The mags with the cross bolt cutout got dubbed SF mags.

JackOSU
09-05-10, 16:46
I would stay away.

Go to CDNN and order some there. I have found sales for 17 mags for around $20.

bgoode
09-05-10, 16:47
Sounds like if there original Glock mags they will work.

I buy mags from trading post supplies or something. Google glock parts trading post and then click the shopping catagorie and that site will show up. Good guy to buy from.

GLOCKMASTER
09-05-10, 18:25
CDNN had some G17 mags a few weeks ago for about $14.00. Check their site often and call them occasionally as they do not list everything on their site. You can sometimes score great prices with them for the price of a phone call.

hank2165
09-05-10, 18:47
Don't buy aftermarket garbage mags. Sign up and take the armorer's course. Get them from the factory for $20.

SeriousStudent
09-05-10, 19:54
CDNN had some G17 mags a few weeks ago for about $14.00. Check their site often and call them occasionally as they do not list everything on their site. You can sometimes score great prices with them for the price of a phone call.

Mr. Freuler offers sound advice. Sign up for CDNN's email list. Periodically they send out an advert on magazine prices, and $5 shipping on orders over $100.

About once a month, you can score 5 or 6 new in wrapper factory G-17 mags for about $100 shipped to your door.

I've probably got 25 or so Glock factory mags that way. I'd have to go count.

Good luck.

Von Rheydt
09-06-10, 08:13
I thank you for your collective wisdom.

thebolt
09-06-10, 20:49
[/QUOTE]
Go to CDNN and order some there. I have found sales for 17 mags for around $20.[/QUOTE]

Stay with factory mags and these are a great price from a great company.

Quiet
09-07-10, 00:35
Gen4 Glocks can use all generation of Glock magazines, as long as the reversable magazine release is set-up on the standard side (left).
If the reversable magazine release is set-up on the non-standard side (right), then it can only use the newest generation of Glock magazines.

They are perfectly fine. The "SF" mags are the ones that have the cross-boltish cutout in the front of the magazine. At one time, and for a small run, Glock produced a G17SF and a G19SF for one customer in Europe. The mags with the cross bolt cutout got dubbed SF mags.

The first Glocks that were released in the US market with the ambi-mag release were the Glock 21SF.
So, some US retailers started calling the ambi-mag release cut magazines "SF" magazines as a way to notate how they were different. They assumed that all the SF Glocks would have the ambi-magazine release. In fact, only two variants of the Glock 21SF have the ambi-mag release and they have been discontinued. None of the other SF Glocks ever had the ambi-magazine release.

Glock produced the Glock 17MB and 19MB for the EU market.
Glock uses the "MB" designation for Glocks with the ambi-magazine release.

Since Glock never imported the MB Glocks to the USA, some US retailers still call the ambi-mag release Glock magazines "SF" and not by the correct designation of MB.

SF = Short Frame
MB = aMBi-magazine release