PDA

View Full Version : david tubb's CWS and flat spring

peabody
09-05-10, 17:26
wondering ?

to slow down my bushys action,[carbine gas] and get a softer shooting weapon,

my rifle is a M4 16 inch barrel, wanting to get a slower, softer shooting .

im reading about these david tubbs CWS bolt carrier group weights, and his flat carbine spring,

anyone use these together ?

would love to soften up the action:no::happy: on my dissy.:haha:

peabody

Col_Crocs
09-05-10, 19:17
Try the battle comp. Might be just what youre looking for.
BTW, what buffer are you using?

michael word
09-05-10, 19:30
I agree, I would first try a heavier buffer and possably a muzzle brake before changing the spring, as long as the spring is still in spec.

rsilvers
09-05-10, 19:47
First you have to know how fast the action is now.

One can either measure the average bolt carrier velocity or the cyclic rate. If either are higher than say - Colt M4 mean spec, then you can use an H2 or H3 buffer. Absent of knowing those things, you could see if the brass seems to be ejecting too far.

The flat wire buffer spring concept makes no sense... Flat wire springs are normally good because the spring won't come as close to solid height - but that benefit is when you have the room for a larger OD or a smaller ID. On the AR, the buffer tube and buffer constrain the spring so that a flat-wire version is merely missing some material and hence would be higher stress than a round-wire spring. I would expect it to be more likely to break.

peabody
09-05-10, 20:58
H2 buffer,

how would a comp help ? i was thinking this CWS might help...

?

kaltesherz
09-05-10, 23:30
Comps reduce recoil and muzzle climb, I've got a Battlecomp on an SBR and they definitely work.

Iraqgunz
09-05-10, 23:33
Since Bushamsters are known to be overgassed I would go with an H or H2 buffer. Though you need to make sure to test it with the different ammo that you use.

I also think that the Battle Comp is one of the best AR accessories to come out in a long time. It actually makes a positive contribution to the system.

BufordTJustice
09-06-10, 04:51
Since Bushamsters are known to be overgassed I would go with an H or H2 buffer. Though you need to make sure to test it with the different ammo that you use.

I also think that the Battle Comp is one of the best AR accessories to come out in a long time. It actually makes a positive contribution to the system.

+1

I use a Tubbs flatwire in my BCM 16" middy. I also use an H3 buffer. A heavier buffer and the tubbs or a springco spring will really help.

MarkG
09-17-10, 08:59
The flat wire buffer spring concept makes no sense... Flat wire springs are normally good because the spring won't come as close to solid height - but that benefit is when you have the room for a larger OD or a smaller ID. On the AR, the buffer tube and buffer constrain the spring so that a flat-wire version is merely missing some material and hence would be higher stress than a round-wire spring. I would expect it to be more likely to break.

:agree: Couldn't have said it better. The Tubb flat wire spring is just another bottle of snake oil right along with those marketed as extra power or reduced power or just plain magical. Stick with a properly manufactured USGI spring and call it good.

Comps reduce recoil and muzzle climb, I've got a Battlecomp on an SBR and they definitely work.

I was aware that linear operation of an AR-15 was prone to muzzle climb that wasn't shooter induced. :secret: