PDA

View Full Version : The Final Option

TOrrock
09-05-10, 18:47
I know there's been some discussion about this movie here before, but I just finished watching it again for the first time in years.

It's available to watch instantly on Netflix.

Based on Operation Nimrod at Princess Gate, it's really well done, especially for the 80's......

Check it out if you get the chance. Lots of MP-5 and MAC-10 action.

Taking of the Embassy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDe6saJFmM&feature)

DacoRoman
09-05-10, 19:07
cool, I think I'll check it out, thanks for the hip tip!

but is it called The Final Option, or Who Dares Wins?

TOrrock
09-05-10, 19:09
cool, I think I'll check it out, thanks for the hip tip!

but is it called The Final Option, or Who Dares Wins?

It was released here in the US as "The Final Option", and in the UK as "Who Dares Wins".

If you're looking for it on Netflix, type in The Final Option, and you can watch it instantly.

DacoRoman
09-05-10, 19:12
excellent, thanks!

militarymoron
09-05-10, 19:33
loved it when it came out. used to like lewis collins when i was a kid in 'the professionals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Professionals_(TV_series))', where he played an ex-SAS soldier as well.

DacoRoman
09-06-10, 00:58
Just watched it. It was very entertaining! I loved the 80's cold war nostalgia, and I think they hit that leftist, anti war, "useful idiots" angle quite effectively! Pretty cool action and not terrible gun play as well! I was glad to see the main character with his Ingram stock extended and shooting from the shoulder, or from what they used to call the "high assault position", I think :D.

SteyrAUG
09-06-10, 01:21
Not a movie, but if you want to see an excellent documentary available from Netflix try "One Day in September" (1999).

Basically about the debacle at the Munich Games, but one of the most comprehensive documents on a subject I have ever seen.

jmp45
09-06-10, 09:19
Thanks Templar for the heads up, this is one I haven't seen.

Another that is going to be available for stream Tuesday 9/7 is 'John Rabe'. Looks like another good Ulrich film. Odd that Steve Buscemi is also in it. Check out the trailer.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/John-Rabe/70128349

Business_Casual
09-06-10, 10:47
FYI - if you have Comcast On Demand, you have The Final Option.

B_C

Dave_M
09-06-10, 21:11
Decent flic.

Had to hard eyeroll at the whole, "SAS is way more uber badass that the US or Germans!!!" bit in the first half though.

I also liked how no one used the stock on their Mac's (in true 80's fashion :D ) except for the main guy

Business_Casual
09-06-10, 22:32
Decent flic.

Had to hard eyeroll at the whole, "SAS is way more uber badass that the US or Germans!!!" bit in the first half though.

They invented special operations, what we could know about SFOD and GSG-9 back in the 80s was basically nothing; so it isn't that much of a stretch...

B_C

armakraut
09-07-10, 01:11
Not a movie, but if you want to see an excellent documentary available from Netflix try "One Day in September" (1999).

Basically about the debacle at the Munich Games, but one of the most comprehensive documents on a subject I have ever seen.

One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

Munich was a badass movie too.

Dave_M
09-07-10, 01:18
They invented special operations, what we could know about SFOD and GSG-9 back in the 80s was basically nothing; so it isn't that much of a stretch...

B_C

Through modern eyes, it was frankly hard to accept

RWK
09-07-10, 08:45
Many years ago I had the good fortune to meet a few of the men who were assaulters during the rescue. Good men and good stories.

Definitely some dry military humor going on at about one minute into the video Templar linked to. The men are all geared up on the helo on their way to the assault and one guy starts passing around chewing gum. The U.S. version would have him passing around a can of Copenhagen. :haha:

Lynn Freshly
09-10-10, 11:38
I actually have a VHS copy of this movie. Yes, I am old!!!

Lynn

Joe R.
09-10-10, 14:08
Come on Lynn, you're not old. I have a VHS copy of this flick as well and I'm not old....oh wait...never mind...:blink:

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-11-10, 17:29
FYI - if you have Comcast On Demand, you have The Final Option.

B_C

I'm not finding it on my box or in the online listings?

Hersh
09-12-10, 11:05
Great movie and I remember seeing it on VHS too!

Btw, if you guys enjoyed that movie here's a documentary I found on YouTube that's worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5bcv06Rc8&feature=related

Spurholder
09-12-10, 11:31
I'm not finding it on my box or in the online listings?

It's hard to find. On my OnDemand version I click on the "Movies T-W" link or something close. I found not only "The Final Option" but "The Dogs of War" as well. Both were $2.99 or $3.99, I believe. Sorry - going off of memory since I'm in the office.

Left Sig
09-12-10, 17:53
Just watched it on Netflix. Haven't seen it in more than 20 years. I remember seeing it on cable back in the 80's.

SteyrAUG
09-13-10, 00:58
Just watched it. It was ok.

Would have been much better if it was actually the story of the Iranian Embassy hostage raid. The alternative plot they created was rather boring.

Production values were limited, but that was true of Bravo Two Zero and that was an excellent film.