PDA

View Full Version : FN SPR A5

billybronco
07-05-07, 14:27
Buying one in .308.

Few questions.

* Trigger adjustable by user?

* Factory muzzle crowned?

* PBR's are aluminum block bedded. Are the SPR's or are they glass bedded? Wouldn't glass bedding absorb recoil better; therefore, last longer and provide less vibration/harmonics?

* Barrel length. 20" as opposed to 24". I'm going to get better ballistics, velocity and accuracy with a longer barrel. I know this. However, how MUCH better. Is it REALLY going to be an issue at 300-600 yards? If I get enough recommendations for the 24, I'm going with the 24. I'll be ordering the heaviest, fluted barrel available.

Thanks to all....

cfrazier
07-06-07, 11:10
SPR'S ARE BEDDED WITH BLOCK, MUZZLE CROWN IS TARGET CROWN AND REF TO THE TRIGGER MY A3G SPR IS SET AT 4.5 LBS. IT IS CRISP AND LIGHT. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT A 20'' BARREL WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE AT THE DISTANCE YOU INTEND TO USE IT BUT I WOULD SUGGEST A 24'' BULL BARREL FLUTED TO ASSISTIN THE COOLING.

Sid Post
07-06-07, 17:02
At 300 to 600 yards, you might see some benefit to a 24 inch barrel. I have an A3G and I wouldn't trade it for anything. All the SPR's are bedded by GAP so don't worry about it being done right. Someday I hope to be shooting 3/8th's of inch groups like others have demonstrated in my rifle. I need more practice ;) :p ;)

What appeals to you about the A5? Is it just the stock or, the shorter barrel?

Trim2L
07-06-07, 22:10
SPR'S ARE BEDDED WITH BLOCK,

No, they use pillars and bedding compound.

billybronco
07-09-07, 07:41
I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the A5 stock over the A4...They seem to be pretty much identical except for the forearm. The A5 is tapered. I'm nearly positive that I'll be getting the 24". Ballistics will be superior. There's no arguing that. Plus it will foul less than a shorter barrel.