PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Glock Gen 4 thread on GT forums

marh415
09-06-10, 08:14
I thought with all the talk about the Glock gen 4 recoil system, that this may interest some of you with aftermarket recoil systems.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260515

I don't see any mention of the Glockmeister spring however.

M4arc
09-06-10, 08:49
Wait, you mean an aftermarket part is screwing up the guys Glock? Amazing...that has to be the first time that's happened!

Seriously, it always amazes me that there are people that think they're weapons designers and that they know more than the engineers. Oddly enough those same people have no engineering background.

If you want to experiment and play with aftermarket parts have at it. Just don't bitch and complain and blame the manufacture when it doesn't go well.

Alpha Sierra
09-06-10, 09:34
I can see that happening with a Glockmeister guide rod as well IF the diameter of the spring flange on the GM guide rod is larger than the diameter of the large spring in the Gen 4 recoil spring assembly or if the spring flange has a too much radial play.

If the diameter of the GM spring flange is the same as the Gen 4 large recoil spring and the flange does not move around radially, it should not grind away the sides of the frame.

As it is the Gen 4 large recoil spring coils already contact the sides of the frame channel in my G17.

TheSmiter1
09-06-10, 11:58
Wait, you mean an aftermarket part is screwing up the guys Glock? Amazing...that has to be the first time that's happened!

Seriously, it always amazes me that there are people that think they're weapons designers and that they know more than the engineers. Oddly enough those same people have no engineering background.

If you want to experiment and play with aftermarket parts have at it. Just don't bitch and complain and blame the manufacture when it doesn't go well.

In the case of a Gen 3 that is experiencing issues with a light, or with exaggerated wear on the frame and locking block, that an aftermarket steel guide rod and heavier springs would be acceptable to use to alleviate the issue? Or is aftermarket stuff like that completely unacceptable?

I ask because I've heard from others that the aftermarket recoil spring, coupled with heavier springs, stops much of the issues that the Gen 3 .40s experience, and do essentially the same thing as the Gen 4 recoil spring assembly.

I'm just curious if this is a viable option, as I've been considering a Gen 3 Glock 23 police trade-in.

Thanks.

Alpha Sierra
09-08-10, 18:01
Got the Glockmeister guide rod today.

Measuring everything that needs to be measured, I do not see how a Glockmeister rod and spring could cause the damage that the Jager rod assembly is supposed to have caused on the pistol shown in the GT thread.

The front spring retaining flange on the GM guide rod/spring is .492" in diameter. That is the widest moving part in the entire assembly. The narrowest portion of the frame where the spring would pass through (between the front rails and locking block) is .527" wide. That's a radial clearance of .0175".

In contrast, the large spring coil OD of the stock Gen 4 spring assembly is .515", leaving only .006" of clearance per side.

On top of that the GM guide rod/spring assembly does not bind or get hung up on anything.

This is, BTW, a stock weight (17 lb) spring in the GM guide rod. I am not a fan of messing with different spring rates in pistols that I need to rely on.

SWAT Lt.
09-13-10, 22:20
Alpha Sierra, please let us know how it functions. I'm thinking about picking up one of these.

Alpha Sierra
09-14-10, 05:20
So far only 85 rounds have gone downrange since changing the guide rod/spring to a Glockmeister, but those 85 rounds were without issue or drama.

The pistol is dead easy to strip now, no more fighting with a spring stuck in the guide rod opening.