PDA

View Full Version : Question about shipping a pistol frame? (grip reduction from southpaw custom)

das028
09-06-10, 08:35
Hello Fellas,

I plan on getting a grip reduction done on my glock 19 from southpaw custom. From the looks of some of his pictures on his website it looks like he does awesome work. He also seems like a really nice guy who enjoys his work.

Does anybody have any experience getting work done by him? How did things turn out? Also, if I'm shipping just the frame completely stripped down, does that constitute a working pistol? Or can I ship it like any other item? Thanks in advance guys!

David S.

Hmac
09-06-10, 08:52
The frame is the pistol, the rest is just "parts". You'll have to ship it to him via commercial carrier (not USPS) and he can ship it directly back to you. Note that most contract UPS shippers can't ship a pistol, it would need to go to a UPS hub or distribution center. I always end up having to ship through my FFL since there's no hub around here.

ETA: I like his disclaimer http://www.southpawcustom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=4 Right to the point.

fmhscopeland
09-06-10, 12:33
Im pretty sure you can ship the frame via USPS they just require that it be shipped next day air or something like that. I did this and when i dropped it off the USPS employee didn't even ask me what i had in the box. It went to its destination and came back to me in the same package via USPS. No special markings or anything on the box either.

Robb Jensen
09-06-10, 12:46
The frame is a firearm per ATF. ATF guidelines say that it must go common carrier. Common carrier = FedEx or U.P.S. Both only ship handguns overnight.

1oldgrunt
09-06-10, 15:35
I don't know anything about the above person/firm but make sure they have an FFL ! I sent a gun to a well known guy who it turned out NEVER had an FFL. He was smithing for years with no ffl! It was NOT the above mentioned but you never know.

Better safe than sorry and no disrespect meant to anyone.

desertdisciple
09-06-10, 17:36
I don't know anything about the above person/firm but make sure they have an FFL ! I sent a gun to a well known guy who it turned out NEVER had an FFL. He was smithing for years with no ffl! It was NOT the above mentioned but you never know.

Better safe than sorry and no disrespect meant to anyone.

I agree... Know the law & know the specifics.

my understanding was, as above, the frame is the gun. (Thus, that's the serialized part & must transfer FFL - not sure if other criteria may come into play...repair, smithing, etc.) -- Which gets back to know the related laws & specific details.

willowofwisp
09-06-10, 17:48
Im pretty sure you can ship the frame via USPS they just require that it be shipped next day air or something like that. I did this and when i dropped it off the USPS employee didn't even ask me what i had in the box. It went to its destination and came back to me in the same package via USPS. No special markings or anything on the box either.

The above is either a felony or a misdemeanor...remember ignorance is not an excuse for lack of knowledge of the law.

Hmac
09-06-10, 17:51

UPS and FedEx are xraying packages at a significantly increased rate these days. It would be bad if it were shipped, not declared as a firearm, and was subsequently found to be.

It's a good point about Southpaw being an FFL and legal to receive firearms. One would assume that they are, but I don't see him mentioning it anywhere on his website.

ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

desertdisciple
09-06-10, 19:36
UPS and FedEx are xraying packages at a significantly increased rate these days. It would be bad if it were shipped, not declared as a firearm, and was subsequently found to be.

It's a good point about Southpaw being an FFL and legal to receive firearms. One would assume that they are, but I don't see him mentioning it anywhere on his website.

ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

And there ya go... So much for supposition or speculation.
*Guess the BATF would care about:
-"But I heard..."
-"The guys @ the gun forum told me"
or
-"But my friend shipped his, this way..."

Granted the last one may be of interest, but only if they're building a case against that friend. :blink:

skyugo
09-06-10, 19:58
can handguns be shipped dealer to dealer with USPS? :confused:

Hmac
09-06-10, 20:02

"Handguns are not mailable"

Robb Jensen
09-06-10, 20:06

Yes FFL to FFL can ship USPS.