PDA

View Full Version : Wife's First Outing w/Her S&W M&P9c

Tomac
09-06-10, 12:22
My wonderful wife has nothing against guns but has been slightly afraid of them since her father made her shoot his 7mm magnum when she was very young.
Over the past couple of years I've managed to get her to try a .22, my .32 Tomcat then my 5.7x28 FN57. She hasn't been particularly accurate (very recoil shy) but she's been game and has come to enjoy informal plinking, even got her a PS90 which she enjoyed a great deal.
Fast forward to today, her PS90 has been replaced w/a lightweight STG-556 and my FN57 & Tomcat have been replaced by a S&W M&P9.
She recently tried my M&P9 and liked it. Found the recoil manageable (she's petite) but felt it was a little too big for her. Had her handle an M&P9c at a local store and she liked the balance better than my M&P fullsize so I ordered a 9c from Grant (fast shipping & great service, Grant, thx!) w/the same APEX sear & striker block I have in my fullsize.
She tried it today for the first time and we both came away pleasantly surprised. She was surprised at the manageable recoil (she was expecting much worse since it's smaller than the fullsize) and I was surprised at all the COM/headshots she was making! Although the recoil from the FN57 was less she's far more accurate w/the 9c.
Surprising to both of us is she shoots better w/the flat-based mag than w/the pinky-extension mag (I'm just the opposite, I need the pinky extension).
We're already planning on her taking a local 1-day defensive handgun course as soon as she's stronger (she's recovering from kidney cancer, now in remission Thank God) to improve her confidence & ability w/the 9c.
I was so impressed w/how well the 9c shoots (I shoot it almost as fast & accurately as my fullsize) that I ordered another from Grant as my primary CCW.
Our M&P's have become my all-time favorite pistols, bar none.
Tomac
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofRe-exposureofSWMP99c001.jpg

GermanSynergy
09-06-10, 13:12
Very nice. Excellent choice on the 9C. I've found it to be very reliable and accurate, and need to order another one from Grant as a spare. :D

Sorry to hear about the cancer. I wish her a full and speedy recovery.