PDA

View Full Version : Recommend middie BBL. for next AR

jaygee
09-06-10, 13:13
It's official! Next AR will be a Middie, and she will also be a 16". Now what choices might be the best
considering that I'd like to stay with something similar to the ArmaLite/SOCOM barrel profile? The old
Denny's Operator barrel was getting my attention, but I have not seen them around lately. Anything
else close to this nowadays? BTW, second choice would be an all lightweight Middie barrel, in 16", if
such an animal is made. Thanks, all!!

michael word
09-06-10, 13:41
I just received my middie from BCM and although I have not shot it yet, the build quality looks amazing. They also offer it in a light weight profile as well.

TehLlama
09-06-10, 13:46
If the GTS Operator doesn't show up...
Noveske 16"
Centurion HF Middy
BCM Middy
Daniel Defense Middy

BCM and DD have lightweight middy setups as well, the Noveske can be in their N4 light profile iirc.

seb5
09-06-10, 14:22
I've currently got both a BCM and DD lightweight middie based carbines, and a Noveske 16.1 SS. I had a Sabre 16" govt. profile but cut it to 14.5". I'm not sure you would want a SS barrel. In my opinion the lightweright is the way to go. Between the BCM and the DD, roll the dice. I've currently got 2 BCM barrels and 1 DD and would be hesitant to choose one over the other. If I gave an opinion it would be taking the rifles in account and not just the barrel. For the money the Sabre is too high and my experience with their customer service was not positive. BCM and DD are both easy to deal with, BCM probably a little easier. If you wanted a precision type rifle the Noveske is king, but to me is specialized. When comparing barrels the BCM and DD are the shiznit in middie's. I would get the one that was in stock and available and from the vendor that had everything else in stock that I wanted to save a dollar or two on shipping. For me with DD or BCM that means G&R or Bravo.

The Solid
09-06-10, 15:33
I simply love my middie barrel from DD. Great product!

mph405
09-06-10, 16:00
SKD has Daniel Defense barrels on sale right now.

nickdrak
09-06-10, 16:22
The Centurion Arms 16" lightweight Middy would be my first choice: Hammer forged, exceptionally accurate for a chrome lined barrel, and a nice contour (not too heavy or too light).

Blankwaffe
09-06-10, 19:57
In my limited experience I'd say you'd be hard pressed to do any better than BCM and Daniel Defense.They pretty much have all the options available to make most folks I know happy.

Failure2Stop
09-07-10, 00:02
What do you want it to do and how much do you want to spend?
There are quite a few great options out there, but clearly defining what you want will lead you to the best choice.

As far as a "do it all" barrel goes, I have been very happy with my BCM 16" BFH middie.

I have shot some awesome groups with Noveske stainless barrels, and the lightweight 16" middies are great when carrying that carbine up and down hills all day.

So, what performance aspect(s) is/are the most important to you? What are you willing to compromise on? What are you unwilling to budge on? Most importantly, does your wife have access to your bank statements? :p

emfourbinator
09-07-10, 07:18
Yo, Gee man! I've seen that middy of yours at Leettle Warshington, and it is pretty kool the way you
got it. I'd dump the A2 stock for an A1, and likely change the hand guards for the skinnier model.....
Point is; go ahead and get another ArmaLite, and trick it out the way you like! The only compromise
would be the 1/9.

deuce9166
09-07-10, 07:54
PM sent to jay.

jaygee
09-07-10, 09:11
Guess I could be a bit more specific here. I'm wanting a barrel with a GI style FSB, and a twist faster
than 1/9. Stainless might be OK, but it would have to be 410, not 416. Thanks for all the great
input so far! Actually, I've had some great success with my ArmaLite Middie tube, and would probably
go for another, but for the 1/9 twist thingie....now that they're using better steel.

nickdrak
09-07-10, 14:01
Pretty much all of the recommendations made so far can be had with a standard pinned FSB, and are 1/7 twist.

fdxpilot
09-07-10, 18:47
I just got a BCM lightweight 16" middie upper, on the Bravo Company sale. I bought it with a standard pinned FSB, with a 9" Daniels Defence OmegaX rail installed. Obviously, a 1 in 7 barrel. So far, it's been a joy to shoot. A couple guys with a S&W and an LMT tried it last week, and really liked the lighter recoil.

500grains
09-08-10, 11:34
It's official! Next AR will be a Middie, and she will also be a 16".

1. Would you be interested in an AR15 barrel made from M249 barrel steel on FN's hammer forging machine? (1-7 CL 556 nato chamber) If so, Centurion has what you want in 2 different weights /contours, for $325 (I think).

http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114&Itemid=136

2. Do you prefer a hammer forged 1-7 chrome lined barrel in 556 nato that is lightweight? Then Daniel Defense is for you.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=297

This is not meant do diss other barrel makers. It is merely a recommendation.

SuicideHz
09-08-10, 11:37
The Centurion Arms 16" lightweight Middy would be my first choice: Hammer forged, exceptionally accurate for a chrome lined barrel, and a nice contour (not too heavy or too light).

I would second this notion in a heartbeat. My 12.5" carbine length system is a NICE barrel. I wanted to go 14.5" middy for my SBR but I was going more for a mk18mod1 clone. Yeah, maybe I should go down to 10.5" but I'd need a new mount from Gemtech...

SMOKEEATERFF
09-08-10, 11:58
Either BCM, DD or Spikes. Never owned or fired a middy but these two companies are top quality.

Spurholder
09-08-10, 12:19
Lots of great options out there now, especially from DD and BCM (love those pencil barrels).

What a change from only a few years ago!

emfourbinator
09-09-10, 09:08
Those CA barrels look rather intriguing, might have to check out the "mid weight" 16 incher for
myself. I'll need it in 4150 or whatever carbon steel they use....think I'll give 'em a call.