PDA

View Full Version : pmag question

kiki
09-06-10, 14:31
anyone like me store there pmags fully loaded (30) rounds without the top cover on mag! and have you had any problems? I don't use the covers, don't want to deal with extra tasks, just grab and load.........read somewhere to use cover to take tension off feed lips.
again: has anyone had any issues with that.

Robb Jensen
09-06-10, 14:36
I leave several loaded w/o the dust covers. I haven't had any issues.

kaltesherz
09-06-10, 14:38
I keep mine loaded without the dustcover on and never had a problem until recently and did a post on it a few days ago
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61784
I've since emailed MagPul about it.
I'm pretty sure it was a fluke, and I continue to keep my mags loaded

rychencop
09-06-10, 14:38
the ones in my vest at work don't have the covers for obvious reasons. no cracks thus far. if you are simply storing loaded mags in the safe or what ever i would use the covers just for piece of mind.

gkanga
09-06-10, 14:40
I keep a few loaded with no covers, I haven't had any problems.

CC556
09-06-10, 16:06
I loaded a 20 rounder I have and left it for a few months just to see what would happen. I had no problems with it.

ALCOAR
09-06-10, 16:42
Storing them......caps on

Using them in an active shooter bag or on a chest rig...caps off

I believe the caps serve a purpose and keep in mind that if you are in a dusty, muddy, watery or sandy environment the caps serve to keep debry and dirt out of the mags.....so basically I always have a few prob. without the caps but by in large I subscribe to the caps.

rob_s
09-06-10, 16:51
I treat the caps like the rest of the packing the mags come with and throw them in the trash.

orlanger
09-06-10, 16:57
I treat the caps like the rest of the packing the mags come with and throw them in the trash.

They are good for stippling practice.

SuppressingFire
09-06-10, 18:29
No problems here

v0dka
09-06-10, 21:12
I use the caps and store the mags with them on.
There is no reason not to use them. They keep dirt out and protect the feed lips.

If you have them in a chest rig or shooter bag like others have said keep the caps off. I'd rotate storage mags with chest rig mags so the feed lips get a break.

devildogljb
09-06-10, 21:41
i have them loaded to 30 rounds and use the caps i change mags out like every 6 months

RENN914
09-06-10, 23:25
I have not torn it appart to measure parts, but one of my P-MAGS takes 31, and that did cause a problem. The mag did not want to stay in the gun. It made for a bad stage time.

ChicagoTex
09-06-10, 23:38
I have not torn it appart to measure parts, but one of my P-MAGS takes 31, and that did cause a problem. The mag did not want to stay in the gun. It made for a bad stage time.

Most if not all PMAGs will take 31, and it's extremely common for them to cause malfunctions when so loaded. It's the price you pay for having a mag that can seat no-sweat with the full 30 (instead of having to be downloaded to 28 like USGI mags).

The rule for loading PMAGs is what should be, IMO, the rule for loading any mags: always count your rounds, don't just load until you can't load anymore.

arizonaranchman
09-07-10, 08:59
When stored they have caps on. When in a chest rig or belt rig then no caps.

In my briefcase at work I keep two Pmags. The caps are on to keep debris out. When I load my gear into my car then the caps come off and the Pmags are ready for use.

markm
09-07-10, 20:06
They are good for stippling practice.

That's a good idea! I have several pmags that have been stored loaded without the covers for years in pouches.

macman37
09-07-10, 20:19
Most if not all PMAGs will take 31, and it's extremely common for them to cause malfunctions when so loaded. It's the price you pay for having a mag that can seat no-sweat with the full 30 (instead of having to be downloaded to 28 like USGI mags).

The rule for loading PMAGs is what should be, IMO, the rule for loading any mags: always count your rounds, don't just load until you can't load anymore.

28- or a thumbnail's height when you push the rounds down with your thumb.

ford7379trucks
09-08-10, 00:22
all my pmags take one more then advertised 31 and 21. I just load till i cant load anymore then take one out.

SMOKEEATERFF
09-08-10, 11:48
I keep mine loaded without the caps never thought about using them for stippling.

Spurholder
09-08-10, 12:14
Oh, so that's what those things were for! :D

J/K- neat idea, but I've never used mine.

GermanSynergy
09-08-10, 12:17
Long term storage I put the caps on em, but otherwise I load and forget. Never had any problems with over 100 mags.

Beat Trash
09-08-10, 12:54
I have had some that have been loaded with 30 rds and without the cover for almost 3 years now. No issues.

I have the covers in a bag somewhere. Wish I would have thought to use them to practice stippling with a couple of months ago. Ended up using an old, cheap pocket knife.

I've seen people at work load 31 rds into an aluminum magazine. It can be done, but will usually cause the lips to spread and/or crack.

I'm still sold on the PMAGs.

bkb0000
09-08-10, 13:14
I just load till i cant load anymore then take one out.

thats what i do, when loading from loose rounds. the round that wont go in gets used to strip the last round off.

and as we all know, if loaded to 30 or 28, the top round will be on the right.

RogerinTPA
09-08-10, 14:22
anyone like me store there pmags fully loaded (30) rounds without the top cover on mag! and have you had any problems? I don't use the covers, don't want to deal with extra tasks, just grab and load.........read somewhere to use cover to take tension off feed lips.
again: has anyone had any issues with that.

No, none what so ever, and I have some in storage for over 3 years, some without the covers.