PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 Primer Smear

HankL
07-06-07, 09:20
I am having a primer smear issue with a brand new G20. The only ammo I have fired so far is PMC 170 gr HP. The spent cases look fine in all other respects.

I could post a pic later today but they look like primers from a 1911 with hot loads and weak recoil and or fp springs where the slide is unlocking before the fp retracts.

I fired several rounds from the same box from my Colt Delta and the primers look normal so I would think the ammo is not the problem.

Is this a normal occurrence in the 20? Is it a dangerous condition?

I am a Glock noob except for my 26 BUG so any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hank

jackinfl
07-06-07, 11:00
I dont know how to answer this, but the glock FP is in best descriptive terms SPEAR shaped and makes a distinctively different mark on the primer than a standard round or pointy firing pin.

Is the gun malfunctioning at all? or is this something you noticed when you picked up the empty fired casing?

A picture would be worth a thousad words.

HankL
07-06-07, 11:41
A definite smear as described in the 1911 scenario above, not like what the G26 leaves on a primer.

I'll post a picture this afternoon.

rubberneck
07-06-07, 11:46
I am having a primer smear issue with a brand new G20. The only ammo I have fired so far is PMC 170 gr HP. The spent cases look fine in all other respects.

I could post a pic later today but they look like primers from a 1911 with hot loads and weak recoil and or fp springs where the slide is unlocking before the fp retracts.

I fired several rounds from the same box from my Colt Delta and the primers look normal so I would think the ammo is not the problem.

Is this a normal occurrence in the 20? Is it a dangerous condition?

I am a Glock noob except for my 26 BUG so any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hank

How many rounds do you have through the gun? When was the last time you pulled the striker and cleaned the inside of the striker channel out? Primer flow can cause material to build up there and might cause the striker to stick in the forward position. As the gun recoils it will leave a "smear" mark on the primer.

HankL
07-06-07, 15:24
The pistol has been fired twice. These are both rounds:
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=336&d=1190412637

I went over the pistol before firing it and everything looked fine. The striker is moving freely in it's channel as long as the firing pin safety button is pushed down. If I release the button the striker has some drag to it when retracting.

HankL
07-06-07, 15:32
I forgot about the fired cases that were included with the pistol. I broke the seal on the brown envelope :eek: and the 2 enclosed CCI cases had the same marks on the primers.

This must be cool with Glock but I don't like it.

Hank

-Wes-
07-07-07, 02:40
Looking at my G17 brass and my buddy's G21SF brass, they look the same. My gun has several thousand through it, and the 21SF several hundred.

Robb Jensen
07-07-07, 09:54
Looks normal to me.

HankL
07-07-07, 10:01
Thank you all.

Now all I need to do is go and get knee deep in 10mm Brass.:D

mhmills
07-09-07, 02:47
The Glock firing pin is not round.
Everything looks normal.