PDA

View Full Version : Such a thing as an M&P "Happy Stick"?

Omega Man
09-06-10, 15:36
Im wondering if there is such a thing as a 33 rd 9mm magazine for the M&P9? Or even a 20 rounder?

nrose8989
09-06-10, 15:38
Arredondo base pads will get you 22-23rds.

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1001,2015&PID=gg13l5513ivuxy&GID=

mattj
09-06-10, 15:39
Don't know about mags, but there are a couple of mag extensions...
Arredondo, etc.

Omega Man
09-06-10, 15:43
Does the M&P9 run reliably with these base pad extentions?

willowofwisp
09-06-10, 16:09
just the +5/6 arrendo pads that i know of

CC556
09-06-10, 17:01
Does the M&P9 run reliably with these base pad extentions?

I know that there are many people who use them without issue in USPSA competition. I actually just bought a couple of the Arredondo pieces to use in USPSA, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-06-10, 17:06
You must have the Wolfe springs to make them run reliable. I had 4 of the extensions with the factory springs and had problems running them. The factory springs just were not long/powerful enough.

Jason

CC556
09-06-10, 17:08
You must have the Wolfe springs to make them run reliable. I had 4 of the extensions with the factory springs and had problems running them. The factory springs just were not long/powerful enough.

Jason

Arredondo has an option to order them as a kit that includes a new spring.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-06-10, 17:18
Arredondo has an option to order them as a kit that includes a new spring.

Yes they do and I would suggest that's how you order them. I went cheap and had one fail during a match. Tap-rack-baged it twice before I dumped the mag. Clearly I should have dumped the mag after the first tap-rack-bang, but it would fire one round and then fail to feed a round again. Looking at it after the state, it was clear the spring just didn't have to strength to push the next round up prior to the slide closing on the empty chamber. After that I dumped the extensions since i wasn't shooting "major" anyways.

mnoe82
09-06-10, 17:19
If you order these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=778679

you'll be fine. I run them without any issues in USPSA.

willowofwisp
09-06-10, 17:46
If you order these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=778679

you'll be fine. I run them without any issues in USPSA.

+1 thats what i bought and run in my m&p, they work good

mlk18
09-09-10, 11:23
I have not used the Arredondo extensions on an M&P yet, but I had a couple on Glock 22 mags for use in a Kel-Tec Sub2000 and they were 100%. I was really pleased with the build quality and consider Arredondo to basepads as MecGar is to magazines.

Buckshot TX
09-09-10, 18:47
I've never used an extension on my M&P mags, but I've always thought that the Taylor Freelance looked like a more solid lashup for a fighting gun than the Arredondo, & they come in 2 different sizes.
No connection whatsoever - you can find 'em here http://shop.taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

mnoe82
09-09-10, 19:27
Taylor Freelance looked like a more solid lashup for a fighting gun than the Arredondo

I'm not sure what that means? You're never going to get your hand down onto that mag extension in any situation I can imagine. I'm not sure how one could be beneficial over another other than reliability. The Arredondo is proven (in my book) to be very reliable (IE zero malfunctions). Check the M&P pic thread for some photos of the fit and finish if that's what you're talking about. It looks great IMO.

Buckshot TX
09-09-10, 20:01
I'm not sure what that means? You're never going to get your hand down onto that mag extension in any situation I can imagine. I'm not sure how one could be beneficial over another other than reliability. The Arredondo is proven (in my book) to be very reliable (IE zero malfunctions). Check the M&P pic thread for some photos of the fit and finish if that's what you're talking about. It looks great IMO.

The way the T-F extension attaches might be beneficial if it was dropped intentionally or otherwise while loaded or otherwise struck by an object. I've seen other mags (non-M&P/non-Arredondo) that used slide-on extensions that disengorged themselves on the deck when dropped w/ 20plus rounds on board. Wasn't busting on the Arredondo's feeding reliability & I've only heard good things about them. I'd just prefer some sort of fastener to retain it.

LandCruiser
09-10-10, 19:26
I don't know of any happysticks like I've used with glocks. I have the arredondo extentions on my M&P 40 mags and love them. Make sure to get the springs they come with and not the springs in the magazine to begin with or the mags will start to FTF. They are pricey though...I have three mags that are $50+ mags :eek:

Chris Rhines
09-10-10, 20:31
I have some M&P magazine extensions from Arredondo and some from Taylor Freelance. The Taylor Freelance extensions are much more reliable. I have to glue the Arredondo extensions on to the magazine bodies to keep from shearing them off if I seat the magazine hard.

The Taylor Freelance mag extensions have been completely reliable, but I only get 22 rounds in them, as opposed to 23 with the Arredondos.

-C

SteveL
10-14-10, 17:01
I ordered two Arredondo base pad kits with replacement springs for my M&P 9mm. They came in today and I just got them installed on my magazines, but I'm only able to get 5 additional rounds in, as opposed to the advertised 6. Overall I'm happy with them, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue. Will I be able to get the 6th round loaded after they sit for a couple of weeks maybe? They do appear to be installed properly with the spring seated all the way down into the base extensioni.

LHQuattro
10-14-10, 17:34
I ordered two Arredondo base pad kits with replacement springs for my M&P 9mm. They came in today and I just got them installed on my magazines, but I'm only able to get 5 additional rounds in, as opposed to the advertised 6. Overall I'm happy with them, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue. Will I be able to get the 6th round loaded after they sit for a couple of weeks maybe? They do appear to be installed properly with the spring seated all the way down into the base extensioni.

sample size of 1.....
I've been using an Arredondo kit for the last year on one of my mags. With the kit (longer spring), you lose a round vs using the stock spring....but it's been 100% reliable. I try to favor that mag to see if it will fail. Probably around 1000 rds through it so far, no problems yet.

SteveL
10-14-10, 17:43
sample size of 1.....
I've been using an Arredondo kit for the last year on one of my mags. With the kit (longer spring), you lose a round vs using the stock spring....but it's been 100% reliable. I try to favor that mag to see if it will fail. Probably around 1000 rds through it so far, no problems yet.

Thanks for the response. I ordered from MidwayUSA. Their webpage for the kit here (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=778679) specifies that the kit with the spring adds 6 rounds for 9mm and 5 round for the .40. However if you read the reviews, two of them specify that they were only able to add an extra 4 rounds to their .40s instead of 5. I must admit though that if you look at the item on Arredondo's site it only specifies the added capacity of 6/5 with the base pad by itself. It doesn't specify what the added capacity is with the kit that includes the replacement spring.

I know this comes across as complaining, but that's not the case. This is not any kind of slam against Arredondo or MidwayUSA. I was just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the kit enough that I ordered two more for my remaining mags.

Fried Chicken Blowout
10-14-10, 19:26
Yes, I had the same issue with 4 of them that I got.

mnoe82
10-14-10, 21:36
I'm only able to get 5 additional rounds in, as opposed to the advertised 6. Overall I'm happy with them, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Yep same issue. Only holds 22 9mm

SteveL
10-14-10, 23:10
Thanks for all the responses. I guess they could specify it a little better on their site, but it's not that big of a deal. I ordered two more already, and will continue to buy them as I pick up more mags in the future.

Omega Man
10-15-10, 17:35
S&W should start making some nice 30-33 rd mags. :mad:

SteveL
10-18-10, 15:24
I just received two more of the Arredondo kits today. MidwayUSA has pretty quick shipping. I wasn't expecting these for at least another day or two.