PDA

View Full Version : gunny's surplus any good ?

peabody
09-06-10, 16:44
looking at one of his M16A1 uppers.

anyone deal with them ?

peabody

zpo
09-07-10, 09:18
Google them and you will find lots of forums with threads complaining of no cs, and weeks to months to get your items. No personal experience.

ohiorifleman
09-07-10, 19:40
He was set up in Lima Ohio this weekend at a Flea market and dog race and had a buddy selling a few uppers for him. they looked nice for what they were I think 325.00 for the A1 uppers. A2 uppers were 275 if I recall correctly.- no bcgs I think he usually sets up at the Dayton and Lima Shows. Never bought anything from him though.

SoDak
09-07-10, 23:00
He was set up in Lima Ohio this weekend at a Flea market and dog race and had a buddy selling a few uppers for him. they looked nice for what they were I think 325.00 for the A1 uppers. A2 uppers were 275 if I recall correctly.- no bcgs I think he usually sets up at the Dayton and Lima Shows. Never bought anything from him though.

What barrels was he using for the A1 uppers? The website makes it sound like he is putting A2 barrels on an A1 upper receiver.

Personally I've had decent luck with gunny's surplus. He takes a while to ship(I got my stuff roughly 1.5-2 weeks after ordering), but I got what I ordered. However, I've also heard of people having less luck than me so be careful.

ohiorifleman
09-08-10, 10:41
The true A1 Set-ups had colt barrels that were marked in the 6 o'clock pos. which I believe is older than mine marked CMP Chrome Bore in the 12 o'clock position. He also had A1 uppers with A2 barrels and hanguards on them- mix of Colt and FN barrels

SoDak
09-08-10, 14:03
The true A1 Set-ups had colt barrels that were marked in the 6 o'clock pos. which I believe is older than mine marked CMP Chrome Bore in the 12 o'clock position. He also had A1 uppers with A2 barrels and hanguards on them- mix of Colt and FN barrels

I see. I got one from gunny's back in Jan 2009 and it was real nice. I was a little leery of this current batch since I haven't seen A1 barrels anywhere else and figured these might be bottom of the barrel stuff.

jklaughrey
09-08-10, 22:18
If it is the same one I am thinking of they are decent to order from. Granted all I did was order a bunch of stripper clips and loaders for my son to load ammo on. I have my own little range monkey that loves to collect brass and load ammo. Of course he gets to shoot a fair amount and gets paid in addition to his allowance, he is saving up to buy his "own" rifle.

Self reliant lil bugger!

flatdarkmars
09-08-10, 23:25
There was a thread on arfcom recently where it was discovered that the current "A1" uppers he is selling are A2 barrels on A1 receivers. So if you are looking for a correct M16A1 upper I would steer clear. I have ordered a bayonet and some other odds and ends from him in the past and I did get what I ordered.

ohiorifleman
09-09-10, 10:38
There was a thread on arfcom recently where it was discovered that the current "A1" uppers he is selling are A2 barrels on A1 receivers. So if you are looking for a correct M16A1 upper I would steer clear. I have ordered a bayonet and some other odds and ends from him in the past and I did get what I ordered.

He represented everything he was selling correctly to me- I do believe they (the gov.) probably put some 1/7 A2 barrels on usable A1 receivers during a transitional period- yet another variation to have in the collection. Who knows what the folks down at Anniston could have put together.

I will reiterate I believe the uppers he is selling came to him in the configuration he is selling them in- though I have no idea nor do I want to how upper parts are making it out of gov. inventories.

xrayoneone
09-10-10, 23:44
I do believe they (the gov.) probably put some 1/7 A2 barrels on usable A1 receivers during a transitional period- yet another variation to have in the collection. Who knows what the folks down at Anniston could have put together.

FWIW you would be correct in a way. The Guard unit I was with briefly had M16A1s with a hodgepodge of A1 and A2 parts to include some A2 barrels. They were some Frankenguns. We went from Colt A2s to A1s back to A1s that were converted to A2s then to FN made A2s, crazy.

Sorry for the hijack Back to the thread.

Ssarge
09-12-10, 12:39
A couple of weeks ago I got one of the used complete A2 stocks from Gunny's. It came within a week, was really well wrapped and met the description of the ad. (It was probably in better condition than described actually) I would not hesitate to order again based on the prior order.

peabody
09-13-10, 17:44
i ordered a complete upper from gunnys.

M16A1, it came in 4 days ! :)

mine has a FN 1-7 twist barrel, bore and chamber looks like new.

tear drop FA, even the charge handle notch is sharp,with very little wear.

all in all, im pretty happy. :)

peabody

TOrrock
09-13-10, 20:18
i ordered a complete upper from gunnys.

M16A1, it came in 4 days ! :)

mine has a FN 1-7 twist barrel, bore and chamber looks like new.

tear drop FA, even the charge handle notch is sharp,with very little wear.

all in all, im pretty happy. :)

peabody

Did it come with an A2 barrel on an A1 receiver, or is it an A1 barrel with 1/7" rifling?

peabody
09-18-10, 10:36
Did it come with an A2 barrel on an A1 receiver, or is it an A1 barrel with 1/7" rifling?

A2 barrel' on A1 receiver,

1-7, rifling. ''colt FN barrel.''

just ordered last week a lower from no-dak.

should be a fun shooter. :D

i will say the handguards are exactly what he said they are........... ''USED''............. mine have a few crack's, and very well aged' but they match perfectly'
nothing a few good turns' of 100 mile an hour tape cain't fix ' :)

halfmoonclip
09-24-10, 22:24
Got some odds and ends from him; they showed up promptly and were as described.
It's been awhile, tho'.
Moon

peabody
11-14-10, 22:51
was just looking at a few older pictures on militaryphoto's ...
yep... A1 upper , i thinks its an FN A2 barrel. late style delta ring,
triangular handguards, stock ? A2 ? A1 ?
but , it looks exactly like mine.
p.s. the no-dak-spud lower and DPMS LPK. turned out GREAT.:laugh:

i had a blast with it this deer season, no deer yet, but headed out again in the morning.

peabody

EchoMirage
11-15-10, 11:42
getting back on track, gunny is just one guy doing everything. i ordered some small stuff and got it all in 4 days. ive read on another forum that people have waited up to 2 months to get bigger things like alice packs and such. also with little to no communication from gunny. his prices are very good, and may have some hard to find pieces here and there, but just to be safe, you shouldnt order anything from him if youre in an absolute hurry for it. you might get lucky, or you might not. hit or miss.

fivefivesix
11-15-10, 15:30
whats the web address you all speak off

LonghunterCO
11-15-10, 19:29
http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/gun-parts.html

EagleArmsHBAR
11-21-10, 12:08
I bought a few uppers from him back when they were around $275-300 each. The barrels were in great shape on each of them and I requested gray finish uppers. One of the uppers I ordered came with a refinished upper that looked similart to preban gray that US Anodizing offers.

All in all I was happy with what I got, but one of my orders took a month to show up. Granted this was about 2-3 years ago so YMMV.