PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint comp M3, ML3, or M4S?

m4poland
09-06-10, 18:28
Is the m4s really worth the added price? I plan to add the aimpoint 3x behind whatever red dot I purchase.

I like the fact that on the older ML3/M3 series, I can use the Knights Armament mount...

Can anyone chime in with their opinion/experience?

I will be adding this to my Noveske 16"

09-06-10, 18:55
M4s is good kit. Decided I wanted one when Pat Rogers threw one, hard, against a tree and then let me use it. Bought one and have been pleased with it. Have left it on for weeks at a time with no issues. Lightweight; user dependent phrase. Doesn't wash out in bright sunlight. Run it on a Colt 6933. Sometimes gets to visit the 6920. Highly recommend. Bought mine from LaRue with their QD mount. Great setup.

rob_s
09-06-10, 19:20
For anything other than military use the C3 is the best option going IMHO. No night-vision settings, which is actually a good thing, and more than enough waterproof to survive a rainstorm or a dunk in the pool. If you need NV or intend to deploy out of torpedo tubes then it's not the right choice, but otherwise...

$465 with mount (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APC3AD68&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dc3%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html)

The Solid
09-06-10, 19:22
M4 you get a very common battery type, longer battery life, and to me the view looking through it is more "uncluttered" (hard to explain). That being said I still love my ML3. Awesome battery life, just as tough, and cheaper. I think if I was buying new, at this point it would be the C3. 2 moa dot, same battery life as the M3/ML3, all the covers (lens, and body) work, mounting options are the same as M2, M3, ML3, but they are cheaper. All in all you get all the benefits for a cheaper price. The only major diff. I can really see is the water proof depths!

Damn he beat me...lol.

TAZ
09-06-10, 21:49
Got a smoking deal on an ML3 a while back and its absolutely positively overkill for my needs. Aside from taking a mallet to it Im pretty sure that the thing will out live me and my kid. Unless youre really some HSLD guy using it on duty even it will be overkill. The C3 will work just as well and the cash you save can invest in ammo, training and range time.

DTHN2LGS
09-07-10, 20:04
If the cost is not a problem for you, I would look at the T-1 or the H-1 on a LaRue mount.

I was looking at getting the C3 too, but then I got more money for the stuff I was selling to finance the purchase than I expected. So I got the T-1 on the LaRue Tall mount. I love this thing, I have no regrets at all on spending the money for it.

I plan on getting the 3x magnifier too, just gotta save up for it now. Good luck in weighing your options, any Aimpoint you choose will be a worthwhile purchase.

cop1211
09-07-10, 22:04
M4s, I have 6:D

sammage
09-08-10, 00:28
For anything other than military use the C3 is the best option going IMHO. No night-vision settings, which is actually a good thing, and more than enough waterproof to survive a rainstorm or a dunk in the pool. If you need NV or intend to deploy out of torpedo tubes then it's not the right choice, but otherwise...

$465 with mount (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APC3AD68&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dc3%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html)

Can't be said enough, the C3 is really the best bang for the buck. The G&R bundle is a steal too.

09-08-10, 09:29
Forgot to mention I like the battery placement on the M4s over the others.

jaxman7
09-08-10, 12:56
Cool factor:M4S/Practical factor:C3 I've become much more practical with things and less 'cool' as my age increases. G&R's deal is something I would consider.

-Jax

opmike
09-08-10, 13:00
I'll be original, and recommend the C3.

You won't be using an M3 or M4 to enough of their potential to justify the premium.

LennieT
09-08-10, 13:44
No night-vision settings, which is actually a good thing,

Why is that? This is something I have been wondering about.

Thanks

Lennie

rob_s
09-08-10, 13:57
Why is that? This is something I have been wondering about.

Thanks

Lennie

you can't see, or generally can't see, the NV settings with the naked eye, so they are just extra adjustment clicks that serve no purpose.

09-08-10, 21:19
But if one is planning on adding ITT's Night Enforcer PVS-7 to the bag, then...Halfway in saving up.;)

usmcvet
09-10-10, 17:13
If you need NV or intend to deploy out of torpedo tubes then it's not the right choice, but otherwise...

Come on Rob you never know when you an I might be called to active duty to help a SEAL or Force Recon Team deploy behind enemy lines from a torpedo tube!

That is actually why I bought a pair of H1's, they were cheaper and I have not NVG's in my future.

usmcvet
09-10-10, 17:16
M4s, I have 6:D

I need to start working with you Brother! We are poor up here in VT :D

09-11-10, 17:29
Any advantage I can get, I try to get.:D Don't expect to deploy from a sub or support a Delta team. Just to train with TS.

usmcvet
09-11-10, 18:13
He is not telling you you can not buy it he is just saying for most folks it is more than they need. Buy all the armor you want, it is good for the economy. It very well might save your life some day, in training or real life.

JmacAr
09-11-10, 23:00
You'll be happy with what ever choice you make. I had an ml3 which was great.

LRChops
09-12-10, 01:15
I have had nearly every type of Aimpoint and I tend to dig the M4S the best. I like that it uses only one of the most common battery (AA) and the one battery will last 5-8 years! Plus it just looks sexy!

I have a T-1 as well, and they are fine, just don't dig the battery situation as much, but it performs perfectly well.

I think any Aimpoint is really fine!

cop1211
09-12-10, 19:27
I need to start working with you Brother! We are poor up here in VT :D

C'mon down we have openings.;)

cabbynate
09-18-10, 08:34
I'm on the fence. I have a ACOG TA31RC0-M4CP. I like the 4x for 100 plus meter shooting but am seriously thinking about an Aimpoint M4s or a T-1 or H-1 on a LaRue mount for CQB. I'm thinking I could Mount the Aimpoint and Carry the ACOG in it's pouch in case I need the 4x for longer shots... Plus it's always nice to have a backup optic just in case your main optic fails.;)

I really like the fact the M4s takes a AA battery. You can find those anywhere...