PDA

View Full Version : Vltor club foot or ACS???

tvfreakarms
09-06-10, 20:23
Ok i've got it down to 2 stocks. I like the Vltor club foot because it's smaller and it saves a little weight. The down side that you can't change out the butt pad for a thicker one. Less versatile.
The acs it's similar to the club foot in design wise but I like the fact that you can change out the butt pad for a thicker one. It's a little more versatile. The down side is it's larger and I really don't need the little side storage compartment. I wished they made a ACS shorter version w/o the side storage compartment.

Any thoughts?

SteveL
09-06-10, 20:35
I only have experience with the Vltor, but I would buy another one in a second.

Is the inability to put a thicker recoil pad on the Vltor really that big of a deal?

FWIW I believe the EMOD has a thicker pad than the IMOD, but it also has side storage compartments that you don't need.

JSGlock34
09-06-10, 20:47
I'm a big MagPul fan, but I think VLTOR nailed it with the IMOD stocks. Cheaper than the ACS, several ounces lighter and it comes with dual QD sockets (which will cost you a few dollars more on the ACS). As for the buttpad, I think the IMOD one is better than either of the Magpul offerings, and once again, the IMOD comes with the thicker pad, another option you'll pay extra for with the ACS.

I've owned both and my vote went to the IMOD. My two cents.

Caeser25
09-06-10, 20:50
As long as the length of pull is ok for the ACS, you can't beat the extra storage space.

Hmac
09-06-10, 20:52
I have two iMods, one on a carbine SBR and the other on a Noveske Light Recce. They're really excellent, but I confess, I don't understand the practical differences between a clubfoot and the regular stock, which are the ones that I have.

Curious...why the clubfoot?

NCPatrolAR
09-06-10, 20:52
The IMOD is the best stock Vltor has put out to date and is what I'm slowly transitioning all my long guns over to.

The few ACS stocks I've messed with are nice; but nothing like the IMOD.

JSGlock34
09-06-10, 21:00
I have two iMods, one on a carbine SBR and the other on a Noveske Light Recce. They're really excellent, but I confess, I don't understand the practical differences between a clubfoot and the regular stock, which are the ones that I have.

I think the clubfoot is intended for precision applications when using a bipod or supported position - the flat surface is designed for the shooter 's support hand.

9DivDoc
09-06-10, 21:04
My only experience with VLTOR is (2) IMods on wife's carbine...
I like them alot...

My current favorite is the ACS more so than the 4 CTRS and 1 UBR
I have and even more than the SOPMOD (which surprised me)

A stock & P-grip are pretty personal pieces of equipment...

I got big mutt hooks and long ape like arms

Hmac
09-06-10, 21:06
I think the clubfoot is intended for precision applications when using a bipod or supported position - the flat surface is designed for the shooter 's support hand.

Aha. Would have been an odd choice for my SBR then.

Army Chief
09-06-10, 21:30
I'm a big MagPul fan, but I think VLTOR nailed it with the IMOD stocks.

Aside from the fact that I tend not to use the word fan, I find a lot to like in this reply.

I do own an ACS, and find it to be a great stock, but for some reason it doesn't really appeal to me in quite the same way as a UBR or CTR.

AC

NCPatrolAR
09-06-10, 22:20
Aha. Would have been an odd choice for my SBR then.

I usually buy the club foot versions of the vltor stocks when possible. The option of using a sand bag, fist, improvised rest, etc is extremely appealing to me

JR TACTICAL
09-06-10, 22:38
I dont have any exerience with the ACS but I have the EMOD by vltor, its a great stock, its a little on the heavy side but really is fantastic. I would for sure suggest Vltor but I think you would be safe either way you go, bolth companies make great stuff

Col_Crocs
09-07-10, 00:19
Imod Clubfoot for me. While you cant change out the buttpad, you can somewhat make up for it by running it another click out. On the flip side, there's no reducing the weight and size off the ACS.

tvfreakarms
09-07-10, 04:26
Not a huge deal. I noticed on some vltor does not come with a butt pad. So, i'm curious if you can buy one. I've emailed and they said they don't sell the butt pads.

I only have experience with the Vltor, but I would buy another one in a second.

Is the inability to put a thicker recoil pad on the Vltor really that big of a deal?

FWIW I believe the EMOD has a thicker pad than the IMOD, but it also has side storage compartments that you don't need.

tvfreakarms
09-07-10, 04:32
For me it comes to aesthetics. I think the club foot looks better, plus i have a club foot.

tvfreakarms
09-07-10, 04:37
If you go to there website it states that you can remove the butt pad. Since I dont own one, isn't there a screw attached on the back of the butt pad??? So, i don't get why you can't buy the thicker one. I tried calling vltor but they never pick up their phone.

Scroll down just above where it states the imod details, it states that you can remove the butt pad
http://www.vltor.com/imod-basic.html

Imod Clubfoot for me. While you cant change out the buttpad, you can somewhat make up for it by running it another click out. On the flip side, there's no reducing the weight and size off the ACS.

tvfreakarms
09-07-10, 04:41
Does anyone have any issues of getting their facial hair caught in between where the battery compartment connects with the stock?

Someone at local rifle store told me that it can happen. The store had tons of magpul stocks so, i assume they were a little biased.
But i'm not a hairy person so i assume that wouldn't bother me.

NCPatrolAR
09-07-10, 05:30
Does anyone have any issues of getting their facial hair caught in between where the battery compartment connects with the stock?

Someone at local rifle store told me that it can happen. The store had tons of magpul stocks so, i assume they were a little biased.

I've heard people talk about it occurring but I've never seen it. If it does occur; you can always cover the area with a strip of 100mph tape

Col_Crocs
09-07-10, 06:34
If you go to there website it states that you can remove the butt pad. Since I dont own one, isn't there a screw attached on the back of the butt pad??? So, i don't get why you can't buy the thicker one. I tried calling vltor but they never pick up their phone.

Scroll down just above where it states the imod details, it states that you can remove the butt pad
http://www.vltor.com/imod-basic.html

Sorry about that. Yes, but while it is removable, I dont think they make thicker butt pads for you to change to. Fromwhat I understand, their commercial and milspec versions come with the exact same butt pad, unlike Magpul's commercial and milspec CTR.

CENTCOM_Survivor
09-07-10, 07:21
Another vote for the Imod Clubfoot; I really like mine.

SteveL
09-07-10, 09:32

I had never heard of this happening until I read about it on this site. A few people mentioned it in a thread about Vltor stocks a while back, but it's never happened to me.

g5m
09-07-10, 09:46
It can happen with any slider.

CarlosDJackal
09-07-10, 10:56

FWIW, I know a couple of individuals who have had this happen to. But I don't remember if it was enough for them to dump the stock for another.

tvfreakarms
09-08-10, 04:09
Here's what the guy from Vltor said:
"The older Modstocks had no Buttpad, though we offered a “slip-on” model separately. (VERY secure, btw)
As for the newer IMOD & EMOD, the two designs are different and neither one is compatible with the other. If a thicker Buttpad is what you’re after, the EMOD is definitely the way to go."

It's too bad they are not. I wonder why they didn't made it compatible. The company could benefit from making money. Hell Magpul is smart about it.

Sorry about that. Yes, but while it is removable, I dont think they make thicker butt pads for you to change to. Fromwhat I understand, their commercial and milspec versions come with the exact same butt pad, unlike Magpul's commercial and milspec CTR.

tvfreakarms
09-08-10, 04:10
I found a brand new club foot basic kit for $79.00 plus $7 for shipping. Good deal?

jklaughrey
09-08-10, 10:52
Solely on comfortable cheek weld, and no pulling at my 10am shadow on my pretty face.

thopkins22
09-08-10, 11:01
I had never heard of this happening until I read about it on this site. A few people mentioned it in a thread about Vltor stocks a while back, but it's never happened to me.

It happens with pretty much every stock I've ever tried if I have a beard. Since it seems to happen with everything from the Vltor stuff to the CTR, I maintain it happens where the stock meets the receiver extension.

floyd
09-08-10, 11:26
It happens where the removable battery storage tubes snap into the cheek weld area of the stock. Hair gets stuck in there. then OUCH! I've seen them taped over or filled with epoxy.

tvfreakarms
09-11-10, 07:50
OH i forgot to mention this. As i stated before I have the moe. I know there is some play or wobble with the butt stock. So, with the ctr and the acs they have the friction lock that prevents this wobble or play. Which is another cool thing about magpul butt stock.
So, I was wondering if anyone of you guys that has the emod or the imod, is there any play or wobble with the butt stock? If there isn't any play, has anyone notice that it started to develop some play over time (people that had a vltor stock for a while)?

JSGlock34
09-11-10, 08:27
OH i forgot to mention this. As i stated before I have the moe. I know there is some play or wobble with the butt stock. So, with the ctr and the acs they have the friction lock that prevents this wobble or play. Which is another cool thing about magpul butt stock.
So, I was wondering if anyone of you guys that has the emod or the imod, is there any play or wobble with the butt stock? If there isn't any play, has anyone notice that it started to develop some play over time (people that had a vltor stock for a while)?

The VLTOR IMOD is one of the tightest fitting stocks I've tried. No play or wobble.

ryu_sekai
09-11-10, 09:40
I would go for the IMOD.

LSK
09-11-10, 09:45
I like the I- MOD it is half the price of the SOPMOD. I would like it even more if they would mold the battery tubes into the stock like LMT and Magpul does.

LRChops
09-11-10, 13:38
I really dig the Vltor Clubfoot much better. I also like the Magpul CTR.

My Vltor clubfoot is every bit as tight as the double locking Magpul stock. As far as storage, Clubfoot has more than enough in the tubes. I don't care for the lower trap door storage compartment as it is bulky and basically useless.

tvfreakarms
09-17-10, 05:27
Unfortunately mine has some play. Slightly less than my moe. :(

The VLTOR IMOD is one of the tightest fitting stocks I've tried. No play or wobble.

tvfreakarms
09-17-10, 05:28
I ended up getting the club foot because I like the fact that it's smaller than the acs and even though the vltor had a slightly larger rubber butt pad the clubfoot was just about a quarter inch shorter compared to my moe with it's regular rubber butt pad. Also, I ended up paying $75 on ebay for the basic kit i really got a good deal. I also really like the look of the clubfoot compared to the moe.

But there is a couple of issues with the clubfoot. Nothing big but little things that vltor could really improve on their great stock.

First, the vltor stock has some play. About as much as the moe but slightly less. Wished vltor had something similar to a friction lock like magpul. Second, it's to bad they don't have options on adding an enhanced butt pad. Your stuck with one size only. If Vltor could make some slight modifications and have more accessories, they would be even more of a contender if not better.

kmrtnsn
09-17-10, 09:24
I have the Emod on my Recce build, just put an Imod on the wife's build, and have the ACS on my work carbine. The ACS is coming off and an Imod is going on.