PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 weak link?

chriskc04
09-07-10, 09:16
I think we all agree that simply owning a firearms for defense is not enough. One must understand the weapon and be proficient with using it. Beyond the manual of arms, understand its strengths, weaknesses, capabilities as a whole, (and more importantly your own), and practice, practice, practice. Yes?

It is in this spirit I'd like to submit a question. I understand some designs hinge around some type of a gas seal or o-ring. I've heard of some failures of these which impeded the function of the weapon. I understand the M4 is a gas-op design. I'd like to know if the design hinges on such a part (or any other) that could affect the weapon's function. I know anything made by man is imperfect in some way. I know that every firearm eventually will break. My aim is to examine the robustness of the M4's design.

I have consulted the Google oracle for this information and come up empty handed. The closest thing I could find is an early design flaw (4 gas ports leading to problems caused by over-gassing), so I recognize that this may not be of much practical significance. Still, I'd very much like to know.

SteveL
09-07-10, 09:40
Deleted.

chriskc04
09-07-10, 13:54
Deleted.

;) It happens.

SteveL
09-07-10, 17:28
;) It happens.

Yeah...Sorry about that. I posted something before double-checking facts. As it turned out, what I posted was incorrect. Luckily I was able to delete it before a multitude of kind people showed up to point it out to me. :D

Back to the topic at hand though, I haven't been able to find people talking badly about the Benelli M4, other than it is most likely a violation of 922r to put a mag tube extension on it.

chriskc04
09-07-10, 20:48
No worries, my friend. You know how many times I've sent email with info like that to my boss? Believe me, I understand.

Awhile back, someone requested a letter from the ATF about the 922r considerations. I forget where it was posted, but I saved the letter. I can send it to you (or post it in a separate thread) if you're interested.

I can't find many people speaking ill of it, either. I suspect it's a sort of non-issue. Still, it would be nice to know.

SteveL
09-07-10, 22:58
I'd love to have a copy of the letter just for the heck of it. You can post it or PM it to me. I've read more than once though that if you call 3 times requesting a letter and speak to a different person every time then you're liable to get 3 letters that all have a different number of parts listed. I guess if there's a discrepancy and you have a letter in hand that was addressed to you then that's a major plus for you though.

shootist~
09-07-10, 23:29
The only M4 I'm familiar with (belongs to a shooting buddy) has eaten an O ring. I ordered several for him from Brownells at ~$5.00 each and he replaced both.

He bought it used and the O ring was most likely already damaged. It was still running fine with the partial O ring in place. Seems to be a wear part so a few spares might be advisable.

terrymo
09-08-10, 11:07
I would like to see a copy of the letter as well.

chriskc04
09-09-10, 10:57
Even found the original thread (so I don't hijack my own:cool:)

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19539

I hope the information proves useful.

terrymo
09-09-10, 18:05
Thank you

SteveL
09-09-10, 18:52
Thanks.

chriskc04
09-09-10, 20:14
Happy to help.

Now if I could just get some more replies to my question...:sad:

HETZ1313
09-12-10, 23:02
Great info, I guess I will just buy a stamp and a 14" gun.