PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Suggestions for G35 FTF Problems

McCannicalBob
09-07-10, 16:36
I bought a new G35 in July. I'm having problems with it not feeding properly, e.g. after firing a round, the next one will go about 1/2 way into the chamber and stop. The gun is stock. With two brands of ammo (Fiocchi 170g FMJ-TC and Georgia Arms 165g FMJ) I'll get an average of 1 FTF per 20 rounds. I've tried 5 different magazines with the same result. Changed grip, same result. If I use Wal-Mart Remington UMC 180g FMJ I have much better luck. It has happened twice with that ammo out of 400 rounds, and I blame them both on the glove I had on my left hand coming in contact with the slide. (The glove was to protect my hand from the razor sharp extended mag release. I have since fixed that problem.) After I took the glove off I had no more problems. I tried swapping extractors with my G23 and same result. I've brushed the breach face clean. I've called Glock, who encouraged me to work it out with a local armorer rather than endure the 6-8 week turnaround. The local Glock armorer I took it to couldn't find a problem, but he didn't fire it either. I can't replicate the problem by hand racking rounds through it. It only happens when firing. Any suggestions?

operator81
09-07-10, 17:17
Seeings how the Glock Armorer couldn't figure it out, I'd suggest sending it back to Glock, and perhaps for the sake of time, seeing if they will replace it. I have a former co-worker who uses a G35 for SWAT (he's also a Glock Armorer) and cannot seem to get it to run reliably. He also tried swapping the extractor with those of reliable Glocks but that didn't work either.

FailureDrill-P099
09-07-10, 17:32
What mags are you using. The older #5 followers cause feeding issues in the G35 as the barrel and slide are longer thus the barrel does not drop down as much when cycling. #6 mags and hire should take care of it. If that is the issue. But if its newer it should have correct mags #8 or #9. Other than that sending it back to Glock would be your best bet. The G35 is the most reliable of the .40 cal Glocks do to the extra slide mass slowing the slide recoil for the .40

I would try some more ammo first though. Federal 165, 180's FMJ or Lawman see how it runs. Maybe you got some bad ammo.

McCannicalBob
09-07-10, 17:38
I'm using both #8 and #9 magazines. This was bought new in July 2010.
I do agree with your comment on the ammo. Glock told me that "unfortunately, not all guns will feed all ammo reliably". While objectively I know this--I'm a mechanical P.E. and a reliability engineer--I also feel that the reason I bought a Glock was for its reliability. I have a gen 2 G23 that has been practically flawless, and expected the same from the 35.

deuce9166
09-08-10, 12:01
I'd send it back to Glock if your certain its not a bad magazine. That gun should be reliable with any magazine regardless of follower number. I had a #8 mag that was about 2 years old, go T.U. on me about a month ago. The feed lips were wider allowing the nose of the bullet to move around and get out of line. The gun would run with this mag when clean, but as it got dirtier is began to ftf. It was replaced by Glock.

TOrrock
09-08-10, 12:32
I'd stop using the Georgia Arms ammo, there have been some well documented issues with them.

Fiocchi is usually GTG, but I'd try Winchester "white box", Federal American Eagle, Remington "green box" UMC, and Speer Lawman for practice ammo and see if it's not something as simple as an ammo issue....

Keith E.
09-08-10, 13:06
I've owned a couple 35's and my only malfunctions have been caused by a thumb actuating the slide stop. I've run old NDF mags right up to 2 month old mags and have had no mag related issues. Ammo has been white box 165 & 180, 180 Gold Dot, 155 STHP, 155 & 180 Hydra Shock, Remington 180 ball, 135, 165 & 180 Cor-Bon, etc. Again the only malf has been the thumb/slide stop interaction which was cured by the installation of a standard slide stop on both pistols.

You might let some others join you at the range and try the same gun/ammo combos you're having problems with. Malfs with the same combo and different shooters would warrant a pistol headed back to the factory.

Good Luck, Keith

Runningman
09-11-10, 09:10
The older Glocks in 40 S&W had a more generous feed throat area than the newer ones. Consequently older Glocks 40 S&W were less sensitive to ammo type because of the more generous feed throat area. Compare your gen 2 G23 feed throat with the newer G35 with the barrels removed and a cartridge in the chamber you will see what I mean. Look at the 6 o'clock area.

M4arc
09-11-10, 10:06
I bought a new G35 in July. I'm having problems with it not feeding properly, e.g. after firing a round, the next one will go about 1/2 way into the chamber and stop. The gun is stock. With two brands of ammo (Fiocchi 170g FMJ-TC and Georgia Arms 165g FMJ) I'll get an average of 1 FTF per 20 rounds. I've tried 5 different magazines with the same result. Changed grip, same result. If I use Wal-Mart Remington UMC 180g FMJ I have much better luck. It has happened twice with that ammo out of 400 rounds, and I blame them both on the glove I had on my left hand coming in contact with the slide. (The glove was to protect my hand from the razor sharp extended mag release. I have since fixed that problem.) After I took the glove off I had no more problems. I tried swapping extractors with my G23 and same result. I've brushed the breach face clean. I've called Glock, who encouraged me to work it out with a local armorer rather than endure the 6-8 week turnaround. The local Glock armorer I took it to couldn't find a problem, but he didn't fire it either. I can't replicate the problem by hand racking rounds through it. It only happens when firing. Any suggestions?

I'd bet money it's the glove. You probably don't feel it but I suspect you're either riding the slide release or the slide itself. Let someone else shoot it and see what happens.

Also try some good-ole Winchester White Box. Experiment with other ammo before you send it back.

JonInWA
09-11-10, 21:01
Ahh, grasshopper-one of the most dangerous places in the universe-the sight unseen internet diagnosis...

That said...I'll bet M4arc's nailed it. I'd get 200 rounds of Winchester/PMC/Federal and see what happens-WITHOUT the glove.

If your problem reoccurs, I'd then have an experienced Glock shooter put 50+ rounds downrange and see if any problems occur.

If they do, I'd switch out the recoil spring assembly. If that does not eliminate the problem, I'd then send the gun to Glock.

My guess is that the problem was induced by the glove, possibly exacerbated by a concurrent weak hold.

If you are in fact riding the extended slide release, a simple fix is to replace it with a Glock standard flat slide stop/release part-but that's likely another issue, and probably not the one that's the causal factor of your immediate issue.

Best, Jon

SVT-ROY
09-12-10, 00:46
Prob wont help but my G17 with and without ported barrel would FTF every mag. Or every other. With 4 different types of ammo and grips, 3 different shooters. Changed the factory recoil spring to a lighter version in un captured rod. Along with reduced power striker spring. That cut it down to one FTF in every 80 or so rounds. Still not good enough.

Point of post I guess is try the spring, it wont hurt and is cheap.

McCannicalBob
09-12-10, 10:05
Runningman: you are correct. The ramp/throat area on my old gen 2 G23 is very different from the new G35.

M4arc: The only time I have worn gloves throughout all of this is when I had the two failures with the yellow box UMC ammo, which accounted for 2 failures out of 400, so I do attribute those failures to the gloves. However, I was not wearing gloves during any of the failures with other ammo. Also, my G23 also has the extended slide release and I use the same grip with both weapons, so I don't believe that is the issue or I'd have problems with the G23 as well. Other shooters have the same problems with this gun/ammo combo. Having said all that, I think I've confirmed it is an ammo issue. I put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through it Friday with no failures.

JonInWA: I'm with you as far as internet gunsmithing goes. I use this as sort of an open brainstorming session. I would consider myself an experienced Glock shooter, with countless thousands of shots downrange with other Glocks and no similar feeding issues, or other issues related to grip. I did swap out the recoil spring assembly at the advice of a Glock tech support person with the thought that maybe it was out of spec from the factory. This did not help. See above on the glove explanation--it only was used during two of the failures, and I agree, it may have caused those two failures. Finally, I don't feel grip is the issue. Here's my stats as of Friday, 9/10:

-Remington/UMC yellow box: 250 rounds, no FTF, then 150 more with 2 FTF, but those two were while wearing gloves that I had never worn before.
-Fiocchi 170 g FMJ-TC: 150 rounds, approximately 10 FTF
-Georgia Arms FMJ 165g: 270 rounds, 16 FTF
-Winchester White Box 165g FMJ: 100 rounds, no FTF
-Remington 180g JHP: 30 rounds, no FTF

Between the two Remington loads and the WWB, 530 rounds, 2 FTF, possibly caused by gloves. .37% failure rate.

Other two loads, 420 rounds, 26 FTF. 6.2% failure rate.

Almost 17 times more likely to have a problem with the Fiocchi or GA ammo than with Remington or Winchester. Sounds like it just doesn't like those loads.

Thanks to all for your input. It has really helped in my diagnosis.

JonInWA
09-13-10, 07:30
McCannicalBob-sorry if I impuigned your Glock experience level; your original post didn't establish how much time you'd in fact had on Glocks.

While your problem seems to be ammunition specific, you also might want to consider changing out your firing pin spring; that might help things.

Best, Jon

McCannicalBob
09-13-10, 12:58
No offense taken, Jon.

What's the reasoning for replacing the firing pin spring?

JonInWA
09-13-10, 13:11
Simply because there might be some spring fatigue/degradation which could be providing a slightly light firing pin strike (and it's an inexpensive component to replace in the search for the causal factor if it's not in fact the ammunition).

Other inexpensive parts replacements to consider would be the triggerbar and trigger housing mechanism.

You could approach this one by one, or simply replace them all at once. Frankly, since these parts are all inexpensive, I'd go for the full meal deal and replace them all at once.

One other check: Regarding your Extractor Depressor Plunger Assembly, is : 1) The metal end touching the Extractor, and the polymer bearing touching the Slide Cover Plate when assembled?

2) Is the polymer bearing white (the color of the proper bearing for .40 Glocks)?

You also might want to replace the spring for that assembly as well.

Best, Jon

mike benedict
09-13-10, 14:27
I would do two things
quit shooting TC ammo
take your pistol to the nearest GSSF match and let the factory armorers have a look at it.
turn around time for repairs at Glock is more like hours than weeks in my experience.

Mike

McCannicalBob
09-13-10, 16:52
JonInWa: Never had a light firing pin strike. FTF = failure to feed, not failure to fire in this case.

Mike: 1. Done. 2. Hope to, but there won't be any near me for quite a while. Turnaround times in my original post are as quoted from Glock. Maybe they quote a long time then turnaround quick to keep your expectations low?

Thanks again for the suggestions.