PDA

View Full Version : Albuquerque's SWAT Team Is Being Deployed Around the City To Deter Burglaries

Littlelebowski
09-08-10, 11:19
Using a SWAT team for buglaries and property crimes..... Is this mission creep, self justification, or actually needed? Sounds like the SWAT team is in search of a job to do.

Albuquerque's SWAT Team Is Being Deployed Around the City To Deter Burglaries and Other Property Crime (http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/06231245metro09-06-10.htm)

Irish
09-08-10, 11:39
SWAT teams are used way more often than they should be and consequently this results in many unwarranted deaths. Then again how would they get tanks, grenades and fully automatic weapons from .Gov without showing that they go out and play with their toys?

jklaughrey
09-08-10, 11:51
Kind of reminds me of Cold War era parades of our country, China, USSR parading through the capitols all the missiles, tanks, weapons, etc... Just showing validity I suppose. Must be slow for operational callouts.

THCDDM4
09-08-10, 12:31
Sounds like a show of force to me.

woodandsteel
09-08-10, 12:35
SWAT teams are used way more often than they should be.....

I'm in complete agreement with this part. ^^

As for the article, I'm not sure what is all in it, due to the subscription requirement. But, unless they are talking armed home invasions, I'm not sure why this wouldn't be better suited to beat officers and detectives working together.

Dozer
09-08-10, 12:50
According to the article the officers are going out in regular uniform but have their SWAT equipment with them. It looks like it is just more man power being dedicated to problem areas.

It looks like the areas they are patrolling have seen a decline in burglaries within the first week. Also, statistics show property crimes have decreased almost 19 percent since last year.

How is this a bad thing?

John_Wayne777
09-08-10, 12:52
Using a SWAT team for buglaries and property crimes..... Is this mission creep, self justification, or actually needed? Sounds like the SWAT team is in search of a job to do.

Albuquerque's SWAT Team Is Being Deployed Around the City To Deter Burglaries and Other Property Crime (http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/06231245metro09-06-10.htm)

Can't read the article without a login...

It sounds to me like some police administrator wanted to "do something" about a rash of crime and decided to put the SWAT team out there so that the voters see guys in level IV body armor and "feel" safer. Sort of like the people who thought putting the National Guard in the airports was actually an improvement on security.

According to the article the officers are going out in regular uniform but have their SWAT equipment with them. It looks like it is just more man power being dedicated to problem areas.

It looks like the areas they are patrolling have seen a decline in burglaries within the first week. Also, statistics show property crimes have decreased almost 19 percent since last year.

How is this a bad thing?

It's not.

Dozer
09-08-10, 12:58
If you do a google search for Albuquerque Swat the article will be the second one down below the images. Reading the article will help stop a lot of the incorrect assumptions presented already.

thopkins22
09-08-10, 13:00
Reminds me of the Military Police(and to a lesser degree the regular police,) in Rio de Janeiro. Standing on corners with rifle plates, Colt Commandos, FALs and FNH belt-fed machine guns of various calibers.

It doesn't work by the way...unless their goal is to create a larger bridge between public servants and the public themselves.

As a matter of fact I've seen very similar scenes in Venezuela, Ecuador, Azerbaijan, Nigeria, and many other crappy places we want to emulate.:rolleyes:

ETA: Upon searching for the article the way Dozer suggested, they're not there yet. Instead I now feel like more cities with relatively dormant SWAT teams should be doing the same. When they start walking around jocked up I'll question it again.

TOrrock
09-08-10, 13:22
I Googled so I could read the article as well. I honestly don't see that there's a problem with the SWAT members being assigned to this...

In this area, SWAT guys work as regular beat cops too, so I honestly don't see an issue.

They wear regular uniforms while working in the field but drive SUVs packed with their SWAT equipment.

So, question.....what is the issue anyone would have about this?

Instead of sitting on their ass waiting for a call, they're out in the field doing beat cop work.

woodandsteel
09-08-10, 13:33
I finally read the article, too.

Sounds like they might have a full time SWAT unit. So, if they are in regular uniform, working patrol in an area that needs it, I don't have a problem with it.

John_Wayne777
09-08-10, 13:34
If an area doesn't have a full-time team (and most do not) this sort of thing would be a Tuesday for the SWAT officers. In other words, they have regular cop duties and then they have SWAT duties in addition. So they'll be patrolling the street or working gangs/narcotics/theft one minute, and then they'll go to a callup the next.

No biggie.

kwelz
09-08-10, 13:49
Being in normal uniform with gear ready in the car is fine. Walking about in full kit is not.

Sounds to me like they are doing things the smart way and the media is looking for headlines.

Moose-Knuckle
09-08-10, 14:32
No big deal here. My department’s SWAT team is rarely used as it's not every day one encounters a hostage crisis, barricaded subject, etc. Very few US cities have full time SWAT teams. Mostly they are comprised with officers who are assigned through out the department i.e. patrol, CID, ect.

This sounds like the city of Albuquerque has had a large number of burglaries and so they are taking guys who are assigned to SWAT and putting them on a special assignment. It's a standard operating procedure practiced by a lot of departments. Beef up an area to thwart potential crimes from being perpetrated.

Kentucky Cop
09-08-10, 14:59
This is a simple case of staffing issues. Its common for cities with FULL time SWAT teams to use them on their down time in to look for wanted suspects for part 1 crimes, assist patrol in certain areas where a spike in a specific crimes are increasing, or simply help fill the holes for patrol if they are taking a beating from calls for service.

Nothing new here. Some cities SWAT guys assist detectives in locating key wanted suspects in plain clothes or even in full uniform when they aren't "training".

KC

markdh720
09-08-10, 15:15
In my city, SWAT (which is full-time) patrols high crime areas at night on the weekends. They aren't in full SWAT gear, but their uniforms are green. They ride four to a car/SUV and have all tools prepped in case they are activated. They are not expected to respond to calls or conduct stops. They are merely there for presence, which does work, but they do tend to ride on in-progress calls.

There's no problem with using SWAT, who are police officers after all, to increase a presence in an area where more presence is needed to deter crime. It's not like they are always kicking in doors or responding to HBT situations, so they can be utilized in other ways. Similarly, instructors at our academy and other office workers are also assigned for a specified amount of time to work the streets.

JSantoro
09-08-10, 15:18

It's a TROOP SURGE, dude....

jklaughrey
09-08-10, 15:28
I can agree with Woodandsteel in this respect then. If it is staffing than go for it. Just as long as they aren't or won't being working their beat in full gear unless it is a certified callout for them to deploy. We in my jurisdiction work a beat and have an inter agency SWAT contingent from the varied LE agencies. Currently from 2 local PD's, 1 SO, and Federal Tribal police. Works quite well. Have no less than 6-8 SWAT officers on duty at anytime with gear in our duty vehicles, with "the bus" at the SO ready to deploy with remaining needed gear/equipment if needed.

Patrick Aherne
09-08-10, 17:53
In cities with full time SWAT units, officers from these units are often detailed to problem areas. LAPD has used the Metro Division officers like this for years. Additionally, agencies with part-time SWAT units will often use SWAT guys for different events because it is convenient and quick to get bodies when an incident goes down. Often times this is not a traditional SWAT-type incident, but the ability to get 20-30 bodies who know how to work together is priceless.

SWAT guys are often deployed, in regular uniform, for crowd control or large events because of this reason.

When folks start questioning how many hoses are on the firetruck, or why public works puts out so many cones to block a lane, I will hoot and holler with joy.

TehLlama
09-08-10, 19:08
I have a pretty good idea which areas they're going to, and presence patrols (in basically ordinary patrol gear) are a very reasonable, and good idea.

cop1211
09-08-10, 19:13
If you do a google search for Albuquerque Swat the article will be the second one down below the images. Reading the article will help stop a lot of the incorrect assumptions presented already.

Exactly. You know what happens when you ASSUME.

bkb0000
09-08-10, 19:28
Being in normal uniform with gear ready in the car is fine. Walking about in full kit is not.

Sounds to me like they are doing things the smart way and the media is looking for headlines.

sounds about right, except that i'm sure heavy media coverage is part of the equation- whats the point putting up a show of force you cant show and not have anyone know about it? :laugh:

fo rill.

JimmyB62
09-08-10, 19:30

But it will sure take the fun out of it for some.

RWK
09-08-10, 19:53
When folks start questioning how many hoses are on the firetruck, or why public works puts out so many cones to block a lane, I will hoot and holler with joy.

So, why do they put out so many road cones...?

TehLlama
09-08-10, 22:13
In hopes that they metamorphose and turn into full grown orange barrels!

The article is a decent read.

dbrowne1
09-09-10, 11:38

TOrrock
09-09-10, 11:43
I do think there are legitimate examples of SWAT being "overutilized" but this isn't really one of them. They started doing this in my area a couple years ago and there is an article here that does a good job of explaining the how and why of it:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2009/jan/07/swat07_20090106-222145-ar-105684/

Also, I always thought it was common practice in many places for officers who were assigned to SWAT to have all of their gear in their vehicle with them, even if they were just working regular patrol.

Thanks for the link, that was the situation I was alluding to in my earlier post.

R Moran
09-09-10, 12:01
Albuquerque SWAT is full time, they are the only full time team in the state. They have agreement's throughout the state to assist other departments.
They are a very active team, with one of the highest call out rates in the country.

Albuquerque is a very tough town, and knowing some the high crime rate area's, SWAT is probably not entirely uncalled for.
Some areas are saturated with Bandits and other gangs, having SWAT and rop available is a good thing.

Bob

Littlelebowski
09-09-10, 14:21
No big deal here. My department’s SWAT team is rarely used as it's not every day one encounters a hostage crisis, barricaded subject, etc. Very few US cities have full time SWAT teams. Mostly they are comprised with officers who are assigned through out the department i.e. patrol, CID, ect.

This sounds like the city of Albuquerque has had a large number of burglaries and so they are taking guys who are assigned to SWAT and putting them on a special assignment. It's a standard operating procedure practiced by a lot of departments. Beef up an area to thwart potential crimes from being perpetrated.

Made sense along with a few other comments in this thread. Sorry for the bad article link, guys.

Littlelebowski
09-09-10, 14:23

I have seen firsthand shit that the firefighter's unions pulled that made me want to vomit (Oceanside, CA). I still can't figure out why my local fire dept regularly sends out a firetruck and ambulance to literally cruise downtown......