PDA

View Full Version : Heinlein's "This I Believe"

Nathan_Bell
07-06-07, 20:31
Not certain if anyone else on the board is or was a reader or Robert Anson Heinlein, but tomorrow marks the centennial of his birth. He is considered to be the foremost science fiction writer of the 20th century. Found this short essay he wrote, and I think it is a great testament to what America is.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NWI2NDkyMDIzNDU3OTA3NTdjOTQ4ODYwZmUwZjcyNDU=

R.D.
07-06-07, 23:09
I have read a few Robert A. Heinlein books over the years. Thanks for posting the link.

QuietShootr
07-07-07, 22:06
I'm a long-time Heinlein fan since I read my dad's copy of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" at the tender age of 11.

Other than a brief foray into internationalism in the 50s, which he later repented of entirely, the man really saw the world clearly.

Cesiumsponge
07-08-07, 14:02
I would place him as one of the "top three" hard sci-fi writers along with Asimov and Clarke. It's hard to pick a best out of that lineup but Heinlein seems to have the most popular quotables regarding freedoms in his writings.

Striker5
07-09-07, 08:07
Excellent! .

ffhounddog
07-13-07, 08:10
I read the Foundation Trilogy and then I found a collection with all of them in there at a garage sale. I have read that book 10-15 times in the past 5 years.

Foundation is Asimov not Heinlein The books I have are-----Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, Starship Troopers, Revolt in 2100 & Methuselah's Children, Tunnel in the Sky, Citizen of the Galaxy, and a few more that are not on my shelf.