PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5 mid length question.

mowmer
09-08-10, 14:09
So I've been reading this forum for awhile and decided to buy a BCM 14.5 mid length. My question is, I have a ace stock that requires a A1/A2 extension tube. It also needs a rifle size (5.5oz?) recoil buffer. Everyone of this forum seems to have carbine length extension tubes with H1-2-3 recoil buffers. I justed wanted to be sure my rifle will run without any issues with the larger extension tube and heavier buffer. It ran fine with my carbine upper, but you guys seem to know what your talking about on this forum. Thanks

markm
09-08-10, 19:22
Here is a video of the BCM 14.5 middy with the rifle buffer system....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPiUXlF0c0

pilotguyo540
09-08-10, 19:52
thats an awesome video, buuuutttttt..... how much difference does the pws comp add to the mix?

I would like to see a true apples to apples comparison.

FYI, I bought a 16" middy but I have yet to fire it.

markm
09-08-10, 20:01
The PWS is permed so I was stuck with the comparison I had.

But.... the OP wanted to know about function with a rifle buffer system. It works great. The rifle system is always easier to get to run good. It's not a straight ounces to ounces comparison between carbine buffer weights and rifle buffer weight.

My home defense gun is a carbine gassed 11.5 with an A1 rifle stock for reliability.

pilotguyo540
09-08-10, 20:26
The PWS is permed so I was stuck with the comparison I had.

But.... the OP wanted to know about function with a rifle buffer system. It works great. The rifle system is always easier to get to run good. It's not a straight ounces to ounces comparison between carbine buffer weights and rifle buffer weight.

My home defense gun is a carbine gassed 11.5 with an A1 rifle stock for reliability.

Right! gotcha;)

my bad. I got side tracked as I watched the video.

mowmer
09-09-10, 08:00
Thanks for the response. How would my set up compare, in terms of recoil impulse to a carbine extension with a H2 or 3 buffer? I guess it would be alittle softer? That video is awesome, can't wait to go shooting next week with the new upper.

buckshot1220
09-09-10, 09:01
You should be fine with the rifle system. I run a A1 stock on my 16" Middy and a Stubby(Carbine) stock w/ H-buffer on my 14.5 Carbine gas. Both have been flawless. Both wear PWS FSC556's and I really don't notice any difference in recoil between the two.

markm
09-09-10, 18:36
Thanks for the response. How would my set up compare, in terms of recoil impulse to a carbine extension with a H2 or 3 buffer? I guess it would be alittle softer?

I can't remember exactly how the rifle buffer felt compared to the H2. The H3 was by far the lowest recoil, but it is really too much buffer for 100% reliable lock back.

Even though the rifle buffer is heavier, the spring compression rate is different.