PDA

View Full Version : "Dissapator Barrel"

D Golden
09-08-10, 19:00
Hi,can anyone offer advice on the following; i would like to use a dissapator style barrel (16" w/ rifle handguards) on my AR. Should i use the style offered by Model 1 with the CAR style gas tube setup or can a 20" bbl. be shortened to 16" and still use it`s gas system reliably? Thanks for your help.

jmart
09-08-10, 19:04
Get a 16" middy version.

Stickman
09-08-10, 19:07
Hi,can anyone offer advice on the following; i would like to use a dissapator style barrel (16" w/ rifle handguards) on my AR. Should i use the style offered by Model 1 with the CAR style gas tube setup or can a 20" bbl. be shortened to 16" and still use it`s gas system reliably? Thanks for your help.

16" Middy shown below.... the other handguards are off for this shot, but this should give you a rough idea.

The weapon as shown below is complete BCM.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/868W1003-10224-Stick.jpg

DMR
09-08-10, 20:12
Also check out SLR15 Commanders. Sully kept the Dissy alive till it was rediscovered. Last I checked you wasn't partial to middies, but that was based more on standardization then with the ideal.
This is a Grail, but I have a Commander with a 12" DD Omaga Rail.

http://www.slr15rifles.com/v/vspfiles/templates/100/images/grail4b.jpg
http://www.slr15rifles.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=60

SoDak
09-08-10, 20:36
Stick, did BCM make that barrel with the front sight already installed or did you have that done? I'm a big fan of the dissipator concept, but wish someone made it in a lightweight barrel with a midlength gas system.

Stickman
09-08-10, 20:46
Stick, did BCM make that barrel with the front sight already installed or did you have that done? I'm a big fan of the dissipator concept, but wish someone made it in a lightweight barrel with a midlength gas system.

The way you see that upper is how it came, though I added the DD Omage rail myself. I did no wrenching on this weapon.

ChicagoTex
09-08-10, 21:39
Point #1: Run, don't walk away from anything by Model 1, Del-Ton, Doublestar, DPMS, or Olympic (and read up THOROUGHLY before you consider a Bushmaster or Rock River).

Point #2: a 20" rifle barrel has a rifle-length gas system, which is unreliable when cut to less than 18"

Point #3: What these guys are saying: the midlength is what you want, you give up a tiny bit of sight radius to the dissipator configuration, but get a smoother running gun that's actually a little bit cheaper. There's a reason none of the reputable makers make Dissipators these days (edit: except, apparently, BCM, because they make everything :P).

LOKNLOD
09-08-10, 22:45
The way you see that upper is how it came, though I added the DD Omage rail myself. I did no wrenching on this weapon.

I still want one of these...here's hoping Paul has intent of marketing them.

Stickman
09-09-10, 10:57
I still want one of these...here's hoping Paul has intent of marketing them.

I need to start posting more pictures of them to get the word out. I think when more people see pictures of the configuration that it currently is in (not the images shown), that they will lust for it in a bad way.

Here is another shot of the first one, just shown from a different angle.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/868W1004-1024-Stick.jpg

LOKNLOD
09-09-10, 11:41
I need to start posting more pictures of them to get the word out. I think when more people see pictures of the configuration that it currently is in (not the images shown), that they will lust for it in a bad way.

Here is another shot of the first one, just shown from a different angle.

Awesome. All you need to do is post up a few pics of one wearing some rifle-length MOE's and you'll sell out the first batch ;)

I still want one with a pinned Vltor flip front...

PrivateCitizen
09-09-10, 11:49

Firstly, all your compositions seem to install the 'want' factor … (just FYI) ;)

Secondly, have you had a chance to run this at all. Care to share thoughts on weight, handling and the like?

Zeus
09-09-10, 12:59
Awesome. All you need to do is post up a few pics of one wearing some rifle-length MOE's and you'll sell out the first batch ;)

I still want one with a pinned Vltor flip front...

I heard rumor that one of our favorite distributors has had a dissy waiting in the winds for quite a while... the hold up? Waiting on Magpul rifle length MOEs. :(

D Golden
09-09-10, 18:34
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I think ChicagoTex knew what i was contemplating w/ a 20" bbl. I`ll look into the middy config. first.

usmcvet
09-09-10, 18:43
You will be happy with a mid length. Check out BCM's website they we're having a great sale last time I checked.

of188
09-09-10, 18:44

Was this a special order from BCM? I don't see it on their site.

Thanks
Bill

Stickman
09-09-10, 19:56
All you need to do is post up a few pics of one wearing some rifle-length MOE's and you'll sell out the first batch ;)

Of course I wouldn't know anything about Rifle Length MOE handguards, but I do like the way you think.

I have little doubt in my mind that the upcoming Magpul MOE (Mid & Rifle Length) handguards are going to put a dent in the rail sales
of many dealers.

The ability to mount a light and VFG will serve the primary needs of many shooters.

The ability to mount the light out far in a dissipator will reduce barrel shadowing with lights, while still giving shooters the ability to grasp the handguard in an extended reach.

The ability to do it dirt cheap while retaining typical Magpul quality will make most shooters smile.

Stickman
09-09-10, 19:58
Was this a special order from BCM? I don't see it on their site.

Thanks
Bill

I believe they are deciding whether or not to release this as a standard item.

A new thread was started regarding the BCM Dissy.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=754561&posted=1#post754561

SoDak
09-09-10, 20:01
Stick, one last question. What's the barrel profile on that upper?

usmcvet
09-09-10, 20:04
Stickman

I have a pair of MOE handguards on one o my rifles and an M4 side mounted sling mount. I have the Magpul light kit on the right side o the handguard. It gets the TLR1 out front but it sticks out so gar it turns on in my rifle case and smokes the batteries. With the MOE VFG my two point sling is in the way and I can not reach my TLR1 to turn it on. So the VFG came off. It is still a battery killer. How do you mount lights on the MOE rail.

With a single point sling it would not be as much of an issue. But I've done so much trying to get the inexpensive MOE handguards to work and the more I think about it I think another DD Omega would solve my issues and do it better. Yes it is more money but I just think it would work better for me. Is ther a sling mount i. The works for the MOE?

Zeus
09-10-10, 00:33
There's a MOE MVG under my mit, and you can just see a TLR-1 on the right side of this 11.5" SBR. I freakin' LOVE it! Makes me neglect the other 20 some odd weapons in my safe... I simply go over the top with my thump to activate the TLR-1. For whatever reason (only a photo for the sling mount) I gripped a bit lower than usual in this picture. My thump generally rides on top of the MOE hand guard.

I'm sure I'd run a MOE equipped Dissapator the same way with much more room to extend my grip.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3349-1.jpg

ChicagoTex
09-10-10, 01:05
Zeus, what's the mount you're using for your Aimpoint? I don't recognize it.

usmcvet
09-10-10, 06:19
Okay you have me fired up who make the sling mount, how much are they and where can I get.one? Thanks.

There's a MOE MVG under my mit, and you can just see a TLR-1 on the right side of this 11.5" SBR. I freakin' LOVE it! Makes me neglect the other 20 some odd weapons in my safe... I simply go over the top with my thump to activate the TLR-1. For whatever reason (only a photo for the sling mount) I gripped a bit lower than usual in this picture. My thump generally rides on top of the MOE hand guard.

I'm sure I'd run a MOE equipped Dissapator the same way with much more room to extend my grip.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3349-1.jpg

Zeus
09-10-10, 06:24
Okay you have me fired up who make the sling mount, how much are they and where can I get.one? Thanks.

Impact Weapons Components, less than $30... send me an email as there is a new mount "I may have had something to do with" coming :dirol:

Zeus
09-10-10, 06:36
Zeus, what's the mount you're using for your Aimpoint? I don't recognize it.

It's the "new improved" my lazy ass wrapped the rubber lens covers around the OE QRP mount. :p

ChicagoTex
09-10-10, 16:33
It's the "new improved" my lazy ass wrapped the rubber lens covers around the OE QRP mount.

:haha: nice.