PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Shooting Glasses?

NavArch
09-08-10, 19:45
A complete set of optics for me includes prescription shooting glasses. Looking for prescription shooting glasses in the northern VA area. I have a new prescription and would like to get some shooting glasses to use for that purpose and as general sunglasses.

Any suggestions?

TAZ
09-08-10, 20:50
If you have the $$, have Oakley cut you a set. Not sure what their ratings go to if they have to do an insert into the curved lenses though. Also very expensive from what I remember.

Have you talked to your optometrist? I was surprised that mine didn't freak or give me the evil eye when I brought up shooting glasses. She was pretty cool with it.

Ak44
09-08-10, 21:20
Wiley X is what I used. They were cheaper than the Oakleys and from what I saw back in 2007, the whole lens on oakleys are not prescription just a small center portion is. The Wiley X on the other hand, the whole lense is prescription.

NavArch
09-09-10, 18:45
If you have the $$, have Oakley cut you a set. Not sure what their ratings go to if they have to do an insert into the curved lenses though. Also very expensive from what I remember.

Have you talked to your optometrist? I was surprised that mine didn't freak or give me the evil eye when I brought up shooting glasses. She was pretty cool with it.

Already asked. No joy. No freaking out , just no joy.

spm917
09-10-10, 07:59
Your optometrist is lame. I have people bring in shotguns, rifles, and bows all the time. I don't have an account with Oakley. I do carry Wiley -x and Bolle. Wiley-x just started doing digital lenses which really helps remove distortion from the lenses being so curved. I have also done Bolle vigilante with inserts and ppl seem to like them. Unfortunately the only cool optometrist that I know is near Norfolk.

Vinh
09-10-10, 10:23
For northern Virginia, there's a franchise called My Eye Dr. that deals with prescription Oakleys.

In the Tyson's Corner mall, there is a small shop called Art For Your Face that specializes in prescription eyepro and sunglasses.

Those are the two places I purchased my shooting glasses from.

dbrowne1
09-10-10, 17:18

dc202
09-11-10, 00:12
If you qualify for special pricing (have some type of LE/Military/Govt affiliation), Oakley Rx glasses are an excellent deal and can be ordered online.

awm14hp
09-11-10, 12:37
Yeah I would look at oakley SI prescription program

babarracing
09-14-10, 17:39
Here is what I was taught to do by some shooting/eye professional back in the mid 90's Look thru your glasses at your scope. Put a magic marker dot on the lens of your shooting eye Glasses that appears to%2

Kchen986
09-14-10, 18:49
website www.heavyglare.com does the high index prescriptions that other companies won't touch. Been meaning to give him a call regarding some Wiley X Black Ops Airbornes.

Hesitant to drop so much coin on something I've never held or looked through, though. ($600!)

BravoWhiskey
09-14-10, 22:22
I have had both Oaks and now a pair of Wiley's. The optical clartity of the Wiley's is better due to the RX continuing further thru the curve/wrap around that I want.
I still think the Oak's frames are better and I thought all the cool colors really helped but I went back to a basic smoke polarized and it was so much better .
JMO

bigbore40
09-17-10, 21:53
If you get Oakley presciptions with their lens they are made to the same ballistic standard as the military issue Oakley's

.30kal
09-21-10, 00:19
I like Oakley Half Jackets or Straight Jackets. Go with the transition lenses for indoor/outdoor use.