PDA

View Full Version : Remove/Replace flash hider. New crush washer?

steeltoe
09-08-10, 21:51
For removing and replacing the same muzzle device do you reuse the crush washer or go with a new one?

5pins
09-08-10, 22:13
New one.

Iraqgunz
09-08-10, 23:24
Yes. And remember that there is no torque value when using a crush washer. You install the new washer and the flash hider and tighten until it is lined up correctly.

steeltoe
09-09-10, 17:15
Thanks!

OldState
06-09-11, 08:50
I had taken my FH off to install a new rail and realized I forgot to get a new crush washer. I put the FH back on and but needed to use a wrench to get the FH aligned with the front sight post. I had to torque enough that I am not fearful it will come off.

Should I still replace the crush washer? Am I missing part of the story here?

markm
06-09-11, 09:14
I've re-used them. If they haven't been mashed down from the original installation you can get a second crush out of them.

I prefer a real peel washer install, but sometimes I'm too lazy and just use the crush washer since it's sitting there.

OldState
06-09-11, 09:45
Ok. Good to know. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I hadn't considered.

Thanks

LiveFreeOrDie2111
06-11-11, 09:17
You can attempt to re-use the old washer, but I would not recommend that, those are normally a one use item. Any good compensator/brake should come with a new one if not hit up brownells and buy 10 of them for 2 cents each. It would kind of suck to be going through a shooting package of 1000 rounds on the range one day and have your birdcage loosen up to one side and totally mess your day up.

OldState
06-11-11, 10:04
Part of the reason I asked is that I had to torque it a good bit to tighten it up to where it was aligned. I don't know how hard it was to put on originally but it felt secure.

How much torque should it take?

corbon
06-11-11, 17:25
Newbie question: It isn't possible to screw a flash hider on by hand?

Marty916
06-11-11, 18:20
It certainly is possible to screw on a muzzle device by hand. However, it is critical that it be torqued against a crush washer, peel washer, etc in order to properly secure it to the barrel. This will require a tool.