PDA

View Full Version : APEX Comp AEK & Potential Concerns

nrose8989
09-08-10, 23:07
I don't see this discussed much and search has lead me pretty much nothing.

Anyways.

What are the potential concerns for using the APEX Comp AEK for duty/SD work? Light primer strikes?

I'm looking to get the lightest pull out of my M&P45 w/TS. This M&P is a training/game gun and I don't rely on it for serious work..... Just curious as to why it's not recommended.

From what I gather, using the kit will produce even less pronounced reset, which I'm not to concerned with since I don't typically shoot to reset (or at least I'm not paying attention to it) unless I'm doing bullseye stuff.

Thanks.

John_Wayne777
09-08-10, 23:15
What are the potential concerns for using the APEX Comp AEK for duty/SD work? Light primer strikes?

The Apex kit does nothing to alter the striker or its operation in any way, so there's no added danger of light primer strikes by simply installing the kit.

I'm looking to get the lightest pull out of my M&P45 w/TS. This M&P is a training/game gun and I don't rely on it for serious work..... Just curious as to why it's not recommended.

Why what, specifically, isn't recommended? If you want to improve on the stock M&P trigger the Apex kit is a good place to start. Having it installed and tuned by someone competent at it will make it even better.

From what I gather, using the kit will produce even less pronounced reset,

It actually improves the reset over the stock reset, at least in all the samples I've handled. Further, Randy is working on a device solely to improve the reset on M&P's.

nrose8989
09-08-10, 23:32
I think there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not talking about the DCAEK, I'm talking about the Comp AEK.

M&P45 specific
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid38.html

A bit more detail
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html

The Comp AEK replaces the striker spring along with a couple others.

Randy Lee
09-09-10, 01:20
Hello,

There are others more qualified to answer your questions, however I will share my thoughts.

Our competition kit does include a reduced power striker spring. While we have not experienced any failures to ignite factory ammo, this reduction in spring force narrows the margin of safety insofar as positive ignition is concerned. The statistical probability of a light strike is increased, even if remotely. For a defense/duty firearm, that issue must be considered.

Our comp kit effectively drops the pull weight to below 3 lbs- with 2.5 lbs being the averages. In a stressful situation where adrenaline is present, a persons sense of pressure is affected along with fine motor skills. The potential for a ND increases as pull weight decreases most often. The possibilities of a parasympathetic muscle contraction coupled with pressure sensitivity degradation and a trigger pull weight that approaches the weight of the loaded gun is of great concern to most LE administrators.

From most of the data and research I've seen, 3.5-4 lbs seems to be the low end of the accepted norm for a defensive trigger pull weight . It seems this range is light enough to allow the user to break precision shots on demand but is heavy enough allow the shooter to register some sensation that they are depressing and prepping the trigger .

nrose8989
09-09-10, 09:12
Thanks for the info Randy!

John_Wayne777
09-09-10, 10:14
I think there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not talking about the DCAEK, I'm talking about the Comp AEK.

You're right...my bad. That's what happens when I stay up past my bedtime. :D