PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions

Tacteam369
09-09-10, 20:03
Based on the site that I am on, I know that the opinions will be biased, but oh well. I have the opportunity to trade my watch for a MAC10 9mm, but it is registered in both 9mm and 45. It is completely welded and not the trashy texas mac. It also comes with the suppressor. My watch is worth a little more than the gun and suppressor, but the guy is going to pay both taxes which will even things out. What would you do? Keep the watch or trade for the MAC?

Polymerhead
09-09-10, 20:12
Considering that I would never own a watch that costs close to $4K, or even one a tenth that, I would go for the MAC and then talk to Lage. I'll bet the MAC outpaces the watch as an investment over the next 10 years as well.

But that's just me.

Tacteam369
09-09-10, 20:35
Not bragging, but the watch was $6K new and is probably worth $4300 now. Kind of like a car, as it depreciated as soon as I walked out of the store. It will appreciate over the years, but not alot. I've owned a MAC before, but purchased that at $900 and sold it for not much more than that. I did not realize that it would go up in price like it did. I would think the MAC or any machinegun will appreciate more than the watch would.

scottryan
09-09-10, 20:52
I'd rather have an M11/9 with a lage upper.

It is cheaper and has a longer sight radius.

M4Fundi
09-10-10, 00:43
It depends on the watch... what make & model?

az doug
09-10-10, 00:43
The fact that it is "registered" in 45 and 9 does not mean anything. A 45 Mac-10 can be converted to 9mm by using a mag well insert and a 9mm upper. It does not matter what caliber is on the Form 4 since it can readily be converted back without any permanent modification.

The asking price sounds a little steep. You could sell the watch, buy an M-10 and pocket the difference, or better yet buy a Lage upper and still pocket some change. The welds are not an issue as they are easy to correct and MAC's are not collectors items.

I agree with the previous poster, I like the M-11/9 with a Lage upper. Regardless, the only reason to own a "MAC" is the Lage upper.

Tacteam369
09-10-10, 00:57
It depends on the watch... what make & model?

It is a 04 Rolex Sub 14060M. I just sold my Explorer II Polar and my DateJust, so this is my last Rolex to part with. My other thought was to sell the watch and a couple of other things and pick up a Ruger AC556 13" folder. Thats what I would really like to do.

Tacteam369
09-10-10, 01:02
The fact that it is "registered" in 45 and 9 does not mean anything. A 45 Mac-10 can be converted to 9mm by using a mag well insert and a 9mm upper. It does not matter what caliber is on the Form 4 since it can readily be converted back without any permanent modification.

The asking price sounds a little steep. You could sell the watch, buy an M-10 and pocket the difference, or better yet buy a Lage upper and still pocket some change. The welds are not an issue as they are easy to correct and MAC's are not collectors items.

I agree with the previous poster, I like the M-11/9 with a Lage upper. Regardless, the only reason to own a "MAC" is the Lage upper.

I realize that hvaing it registered in both calibers doesnt matter however you can go from 45 to 9mm with minor mods, but it is more difficult to go to 9mm from 45 because of the magwell.

As far as the asking price, I figure he is at $3300 for the gun and 700 for the suppressor and then $200 for odds and ends.

JoshNC
09-10-10, 07:37
I would definitely sell/trade a Rolex to fund a transferable MG, even if it is your last Rolex. For me, the enjoyment of owning a MG far outweighs that of a watch. And the MG willlikely to appreciate in value at a rate faster than that of Rolex.

I recommend going big and getting an M16. It is so versatile, flexible, very easily serviced by the end-user, and with plentiful supply of quality spare parts. If you can swing it, the M16 is worth the entrance price.

Todd.K
09-10-10, 12:25
I'll bet the MAC outpaces the watch as an investment over the next 10 years as well.

But you have to subtract the cost of all the ammo you will use in the MG...

mlk18
09-10-10, 15:36
I have a buddy with a supressed Mac and it is awesome. I wish I had a watch that I could turn into a Mac10, but I would have probably already traded it a long time ago if I did.

az doug
09-10-10, 16:15
I realize that hvaing it registered in both calibers doesnt matter however you can go from 45 to 9mm with minor mods, but it is more difficult to go to 9mm from 45 because of the magwell.

As far as the asking price, I figure he is at $3300 for the gun and 700 for the suppressor and then $200 for odds and ends.

Agreed, if I were to buy an M-10 it would be a 45. The conversion is easy. I just wanted to make certain you understood that it did not have to be "registered" in both calibers to convert it back and forth. Either way, in my opinion, a Lage upper is the only way to go.

I prefer an "M-16" to an AC556, but that is a personal choice. It is a buyer's market so shop around. If you can sell the watch for more than you would receive in trade for the gun then I would sell the watch and pay cash for the gun, pocketing the difference. If the trade is close to a "wash" dollar wise then I would make the trade.

Tacteam369
09-10-10, 18:03
Agreed, if I were to buy an M-10 it would be a 45. The conversion is easy. I just wanted to make certain you understood that it did not have to be "registered" in both calibers to convert it back and forth. Either way, in my opinion, a Lage upper is the only way to go.

I prefer an "M-16" to an AC556, but that is a personal choice. It is a buyer's market so shop around. If you can sell the watch for more than you would receive in trade for the gun then I would sell the watch and pay cash for the gun, pocketing the difference. If the trade is close to a "wash" dollar wise then I would make the trade.

I would love to have an M16, but would not want a conversion. I had a 614 back in the day that I picked up for $5000 and an MP5 that I got for $4995.00 if that dates me a bit..:rolleyes: The only reason I would want an AC556 is that I can get one for $5500.00 and the cheapest M16A1 that I have found is $12000.00. Like I said before, I had a MAC and it was fun for a little while, but just like everything, I got bored with it. My wife likes the watch and wants me to keep it, but I'm kinda bored with it right now. The Lage upper is pretty cool and I would probably go with that after a bit. I may just sell the watch and gather the funds to get the AC556. I knew when I asked what kind of answers I would get on a gun forum, but figured I would ask anyway. I appreciate everyones comments.

JoshNC
09-11-10, 08:16
I would love to have an M16, but would not want a conversion. I had a 614 back in the day that I picked up for $5000 and an MP5 that I got for $4995.00 if that dates me a bit..:rolleyes: The only reason I would want an AC556 is that I can get one for $5500.00 and the cheapest M16A1 that I have found is $12000.00. Like I said before, I had a MAC and it was fun for a little while, but just like everything, I got bored with it. My wife likes the watch and wants me to keep it, but I'm kinda bored with it right now. The Lage upper is pretty cool and I would probably go with that after a bit. I may just sell the watch and gather the funds to get the AC556. I knew when I asked what kind of answers I would get on a gun forum, but figured I would ask anyway. I appreciate everyones comments.

Just curious, why would you not want a decent Sendra or similar registered receiver M16? These are great lowers and there have been many on the market of late for around $9k. With some looking and haggling you could probably walk away with one for around $8k. And having been a previous M16 owner, you know how much more versatile the '16 is than the AC556.

You have had some cool toys. I am guessing you picked up your 614 and mp5 around 1998 or 1999 at those prices? When did you sell them?

500grains
09-11-10, 10:42
There is no watch on earth that I would prefer to a Mac 10. Although a Mac 10 might not be at the top of my list of NFA weapons, you can surely have a lot of fun with it. Also, in the current economic and political climate, I suspect that reselling your Mac 10 will be easier than reselling your watch.

Tacteam369
09-11-10, 14:36
There is no watch on earth that I would prefer to a Mac 10. Although a Mac 10 might not be at the top of my list of NFA weapons, you can surely have a lot of fun with it. Also, in the current economic and political climate, I suspect that reselling your Mac 10 will be easier than reselling your watch.

I understand what your saying, however I guarantee I could sell this watch for what I'm looking to get out of it within 3 hours of posting it. Dont know if I could do that with any machine gun or silencer.