PDA

View Full Version : Nitesiters

dvdlpzus
09-10-10, 00:29
Anyone has any experience with them? Does it work? I am curious in installing them in one of my M&Ps.

http://nitesiters.com

Steve S.
09-10-10, 01:41
Not sure, but my Norton Anti Virus went wild over that site. Seems kind of sketchy, especially considering the fact they are overseas and admit to long shipping times.

I'm not going to say its a scam, but I'm not going to be ordering from them until someone with some rank on this forum confirms they are legit. Something just doesn't seem right. Plus stickers seem like they wouldn't hold up too well, outside of plinking.

mlk18
09-10-10, 08:09
IIRC nitesiters are stickers and I have read they are prone to coming off, especially if exposed to weather. There are other companies out that they make luminescent paint that do the same thing for less and allow for a little more custom application.

http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

Det-Sog
09-10-10, 09:08
Junk...

Just go to Hobby Lobby and buy your own vial of glow in the dark paint. SAME STUFF, half the price.

Waaaaaaaaaay back in the day before tritium nightsights were practical, this is what a few if us did. It works... But only so-so.

Hoppe's tends to take the paint off, so you have to re apply after a good cleaning.

ShipWreck
09-10-10, 11:41
I have used them a few times over the years. I still have a set unopened in case I even need some. For the money - they are not bad. Hit them with a tac flashlight beam for a few seconds, and they glow for hours - in the beginning, they are even brighter than night sights.

Some people put them by a lighbulb or something similar, and then complain that they don't glow. I use a tac light every time, and I have no issues.

For the money - I think they are great. DO they replace night sights... Maybe, if you don't want to spend more than $10, and remember to charge them every day.

I like them as just plain dots - as sometimes I'll have a gun where the front sight is hard to see... I prev had a TRP Springfield - and that silver they put around the tritium (instead of a white circle) really sucks at my indoor range. So, I threw a set of nightsiters on the gun, so I could see 3 clean, bright white dots at the range. I didn't even use them for the glow in the dark ability on that gun. They never came off.

TAZ
09-10-10, 17:57
Luminescent paint is OK to use while you are saving for some real night sights. However, they are NOT night sights and thinking they may act as suh will get you in trouble in a jiffy. They rely on some form of energy to charge them, be that the sun, a flashlight or even indoor lighting. When the energy source is gone as in while your gun is in the safe, under your shirt the sight will discharge and become dull. A good set of tritium night isghts can be had for under $100 for most guns so it's not like they are out of reach. If you can't spend the cash I feel you'd better off with some fiber optic sights and a flashlight.

littlejerry
09-11-10, 01:13
They make some dubious claims on their site:

"We use only the brightest and longest lasting photo luminescent pigments, which are up to five times as bright as Tritium."

-Tritium sights that I have used are plenty bright. In fact, I have seen tritium sights that are too bright IMO.

"The sights are resistant to scratching and moisture. They are engineered to be reliable under the most adverse conditions you might encounter, yet they can be removed without harming your firearm."

-That is a fairly incredible claim- 'it wont ever come off unless you want it too...' Scratch "resistant"? Tritium is scratch and moisture proof(again, in my experience)

"Tritium sights are popular, but they are very expensive and almost impossible for the user to install."
Not that expensive. Glock factory night sights are ~$60. Others can be attained for not much more. If you are fine with only having a front night sight you can get one for fairly cheap. I'll also call BS on the 'impossible to install' claim. My Warren sights were installed with a hammer ,1/2" wooden dowel, and patience.

"Tritium sights are visible in total darkness, but can disappear in low to medium ambient light situations. Nitesiters remain visible in all lighting situations. They even improve sighting in broad daylight on many handguns. Nitesiters are a night sight alternative everybody can afford."

- Again, I haven't found tritium to be "too dim" in my experience. In fact, I searched for a tritium rear sight that was subdued and not overly bright. A white(or orange ala Ameriglo) ring around the tritium makes it very visible in daylight.

I have no experience with their product but the claims they make are a bit... hopeful... and borderline dishonest. I would buy some glow-in-the-dark paint from Wal-Mart before buying their cut outs(or a tritium front sight...)

orionz06
09-11-10, 10:17
I have seen them peel off rather quickly. I also question why they would keep the stock bucket of the Glock sight.

The paint that has been mentioned is better, but the rears tend to overpower the front sight.

ShipWreck
09-13-10, 12:38
I had one on a USPc 45 front sight - and it came off eventually. But I had them on the sights of a 1911 before, and I had a hard time getting them off (I took them off before I sold the gun).

I think they are fair for the $.