PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the date made on M&P pistols

Steve S.
09-10-10, 01:37
I've been reading a lot on the M&P and after testing it against a G19, I've decided the M&P9 is more for me and I'm getting ready to buy one in the next week or so.

I've noticed people saying "the triggers on newer M&Ps are much better" and talking about extractor problems (solid vs hollow roll pins).

How would one spot the manufacturing date on the gun? I've seen people ask others who have had problems to check the date it was made. Is this visible?

Only reason I ask is i don't see many M&Ps around here and the local shops fullsize 9mm has a lot of surface scratches. I could care less about the aesthetics of the scratches, but it just makes me wonder how long it has been chillin in the case.

thanks guys.

variablebinary
09-10-10, 02:45
The newer ones ship with with rear sights that have a "step" which is supposedly for one handed cocking on belts and edged surfaces.

beastfrog
09-10-10, 05:34
Look in the box for the little envelope that has a fired brass case. It has a date on it. Pretty close to the made on date.

The label on the box also has a code on it with the manufacture date.

mlk18
09-10-10, 08:06
I would be willing to be there is a thread about this (serial number ranges) over at one of the two S&W forums.

jaxman7
09-10-10, 08:26
I tried to find a serial number thread. I'd swear I have seen one before. This is a long read but may help:
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/lofiversion/index.php?t1042-300.html
OP, VB is right. If you find one with the ledge style factory rear sight you should be good to go.

-Jax

ralph
09-10-10, 08:39
To find out when your M&P was made..look on the label on the box, under the SKU number is a smaller number. For example, on mine it's 9183..This means it was made in '09, on the 183rd day of the year..I got this little tidbit from the M&P forum..

Beat Trash
09-10-10, 10:29
To find out when your M&P was made..look on the label on the box, under the SKU number is a smaller number. For example, on mine it's 9183..This means it was made in '09, on the 183rd day of the year..I got this little tidbit from the M&P forum..

Just checked the box on my issued 9mm M&P. It was 6126. That would be about right. We started to transition to the M&P in 2006. The guns were shipped to us in batches, while transitioning training was going on. Smith and Wesson was staying about 100 guns ahead of the need at that time.

Steve S.
09-10-10, 13:05
Alright thanks guys. The "stepped" rear sight is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. My shop keeps all their boxes in the attic, so I'm trying to avoid having an employee climb up there.

I've also heard the strikers look different, but again, looking for the stepped rear sight is perfect.

Thanks again, I've searched up and down for ways to determine the date on the pistol with no luck. Maybe I'm just not good at searching the internet, but I have seen owners ask other owners their manufacture dates (must be refering to the box).

Also thanks for the SKU number info. That will help for the gun show I'm hitting this weekend.

Steve S.
09-10-10, 13:12
I tried to find a serial number thread. I'd swear I have seen one before. This is a long read but may help:
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/lofiversion/index.php?t1042-300.html
OP, VB is right. If you find one with the ledge style factory rear sight you should be good to go.

-Jax

Jax,

That was a huge help. For whatever reason, it sent me to the Compact page. For anyone who looks at this, Jax's link is for the Compact M&P. Here is the Fullsize serial number page

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/lofiversion/index.php?t360.html

Also, I love your sig about the ATF. I laugh everytime i read that. Thanks man.

kal
09-10-10, 13:22
Oh shit....

i just bought a M&P40 and it has no step. I could have bought one with the "step" but they all had mag safeties so I chose another without the "step" rear site. That number ralph is talking about is 93xx on my M&P. Does it have the old striker that breaks easily? DID I **** UP!? DID I!?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

willowofwisp
09-10-10, 13:37
a lot of dealers have old stock, for example I bought a new 9l 2 months ago that was made in nov. of 08 anf my full size le gun I bought a month ago was made in may of 09.

jaxman7
09-10-10, 13:45
Oops sorry about that bud. Thanks for the correction. At least I pointed you in the right direction.
Yeh I got my sig line from a shirt I saw and found it hysterical.

-Jax

Jax,

That was a huge help. For whatever reason, it sent me to the Compact page. For anyone who looks at this, Jax's link is for the Compact M&P. Here is the Fullsize serial number page

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/lofiversion/index.php?t360.html

Also, I love your sig about the ATF. I laugh everytime i read that. Thanks man.

jaxman7
09-10-10, 14:08
Kal,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. One good trait about the M&P line up is that parts are cheap and great parts are available for improvement (eg-Apex Tactical). Do one thing though. Lock your slide to the rear and look at the exposed lower rear part of the slide. What color is the striker? If its silver you have a newer model striker. If its black AND you plan on doing alot of dry fires you might want to get the newer version. Always good to have spares even f you don't ever break it. Run a 1000 rounds through and see if anything breaks or doesn't work properly. One of the best things about buying the M&P is the company that manufacturers them. Smith has some of the best customer service in the business and with a fast turn around. Which is very good peace of mind. Shoot the snot out of it!

-Jax

Oh shit....

i just bought a M&P40 and it has no step. I could have bought one with the "step" but they all had mag safeties so I chose another without the "step" rear site. That number ralph is talking about is 93xx on my M&P. Does it have the old striker that breaks easily? DID I **** UP!? DID I!?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!