PDA

View Full Version : San Bruno Gas Main Explosion

PRGGodfather
09-10-10, 03:09
Several people in the City of San Bruno, CA lost their lives and their homes today in a gas main explosion and fire. Many of us have just returned home after responding to this tragedy. At least 50+ homes were destroyed, and over 100 were affected. Several souls were lost, and it is likely the numbers will rise.

Battle Comp Enterprises, only blocks away from this tragedy, has only lost our phone and Internet service, likely for a few days. This is nothing compared to those who have lost all they have, and for some, all they will ever have.

Please be patient if we do not respond to your calls with our usual speed, or we take longer to ship during this time. Simply, we will do our best -- but we also have significant commitments to others in the days to come.

Thank you for your patience, and may the Good Lord have mercy on the souls who were lost.

God Bless you and yours.

John_Wayne777
09-10-10, 06:58
Sorry to hear about that, PRG.

Best wishes to all those impacted.

pilotguyo540
09-10-10, 07:31
Good god. That looks real bad on cnn. I wish you and your crew all of the best. I pray the death toll doesn't grow.

arizonaranchman
09-10-10, 08:34
A trajedy for sure...

PRGGodfather
09-10-10, 21:11
Death toll is up to 6, with 53 homes destroyed and over 120 homes affected. Please keep sending your prayers and well-wishes.

Our phone and Internet services are back on-line.

LOKNLOD
09-10-10, 22:27
Wow.

Terrible, terrible tragedy. I'm glad to know my favorite muzzle device makers are okay... and it's amazing that more people weren't killed and injured considering the congested area where this happened.

This is kind of my thing -- My job is overseeing repair/remediation projects on natural gas lines -- thankfully we don't have the level of urban infrastructure here that is in areas like CA, but in terms of sheer quantity we probably have a lot more pipelines here. It's really terrifyingly amazing the energy that can be released if one goes up.

Found these numbers in an article, in case anyone reading the thread would like to donate:
Red Cross Bay Area: 1-888-4-HELP-BAY or www.redcrossbayarea.org
Salvation Army: 1-800-Sal-Army or www.salvationarmyusa.org

montanadave
09-11-10, 09:03
A question for those who have knowledge concerning utilities infrastructure.

I can't help but think that a gas utility company would have monitoring devices which would alert the operator to a significant drop in line pressure given a leak of this magnitude, eliciting some type of preemptive response. Or does the leak accumulate gradually (and without detection) until it finds a source of ignition?

I can understand a gas leak in a home going undetected but this appears to be several orders of magnitude greater.

Dirk Williams
09-11-10, 10:00
A couple of years back I was at a sniper school in Alameda County partnered with a young San Bruno PD shooter named Gene W. This was the week after the Oakland shootings.

Anyway San Bruno had another odd incident in which all of the communications stuff went down EVERYTHING at the same time. I mention this cuz I had talked to Gene about it after the incident during lunch.

My thoughts at the time were that this was a sort of probe from outside the country. In fact the news mentioned this possibility a few days later.

Ive been told these odd incidents happen from time to time in that area. Gene and I were scheduled for another sniper school this past May, I didn't make it to the school due to a hip issue.

Coincidences? With the aging infastructure this seems to be a possible preview of what's may come everywhere. This is some scary shit.

D Williams