PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints when running

voncoz
09-10-10, 12:17
I started back to running in June of this year. I've been experiencing shin splints to some degree during and after running. Now when I was in basic training I had shin splints then but I “ran them out” so to speak. That’s not the case this time, at the age of 38. I’ve been depending on Advil and BC powder to continue my running exercises. My hope to “run them out” this time but it’s taking a little longer than I like as I hate to depend on pain relievers to exercise.

I do stretch before and after running and I have invested in proper fitting running shoes. I’m using the same stretching techniques that I learned in basic which seems to help. I sometimes ice my shins down after running which also seems to help.

My running routine is to run 2.5 miles every other day and rest in between. I would like to work up to running everyday but right now when I run 2 days in a row my shins are killing me.

I don’t have a bike or an elliptical machine to supplement my work outs can’t afford them right now.

Any suggestions on how to deal with shin splints?

Blake
09-10-10, 13:19
Visit a quality running/shoe store, where they can view you running (either on a treadmill or in the store/outside). They can get you in to the right type of shoes. This and stretching your calves out properly are the biggest factors. You may have to rest to alleviate the current bout. Then with a quality pair of shoes, try working in to it slowly.

The other option would be to try running barefoot, and mechanically running correctly. This may not be an option for you.

jbsmwd
09-10-10, 14:01
This is going to sound stupid but it worked for me. Write the alphbet A thru Z with your feet using your toes as the tip of the pin. That is per foot.

It was a weird tip the physical trainer gave me before boot camp for the 2 mile runs in PT.

rougeqc21
09-10-10, 16:42
I play basketball almost every day for two hours straight. Shin splints used to kill me because I was in a shoe that I knew was forcing my foot to overpronate each time I struck. A visit to a goof shoe store + some research put me in a new pair I could play in until I drop.

A good stretch is to sit down and try and pull your toes to your knees, keeping your heel planted. Do this 4 sets 5 reps, holding for as long as you can.

mlk18
09-10-10, 16:48
Yep, good motion control shoes and proper stretching. So simple but so effective. Plus the combo has save me a small fortune in bills from the Chiropractor and Podiatrist.

donlapalma
09-10-10, 16:55
Also be mindful of the type of surface that you are running on. If you do most of your running on hard top try to find a park or local track and run on the grass to reduce impact until you heal up.

superr.stu
09-11-10, 22:02
Causes:
From the information you've given the cause is likely a lack of lower leg/foot strength and flexibility. Doing the alphabet with you foot in the air a couple times a day is one of the best things you can do. Also we have all our athletes do 4x100m barefoot strides and 4x50m backwards run on grass after a distance run. This usually helps to build strength and flexibility in the foot, calf, and ankle.

Another factor could be your shoes, shoe fit all varies widely from person to person, even widely within the same person dependent on current fitness level, and given distance. Motion control can be a hard thing to determine, do your best to get fitted at an actually running store if one is available to you. Personally I've had a lot of success with Brooks and Nike shoes with a medium degree of control. But i can't really make a suggestion without seeing you walk.

One of the largest causes of shin splints that we see at the high school level is increasing mileage too dramatically. A lot of people go from running almost no miles to racing level mileage almost over night. If it kills you to run 2 days in a row, then don't.

General Treatment:
Decrease mileage until they're better, the build up gradually.
Stick with the ice, (ice bucket is even better) 20min on 20min off.
Do the alphabet
Make sure the shoes you have are the shoes you need.
Try and run on a softer somewhat even surface. Less pounding and twisting is always better than more.
Decrease mileage until they're better, the build up gradually. I put this one twice because a lot of times you'll see someone that "Ran through" their shin splints and ended up with stress fractures.

They should go away in a week or 2 with proper care

Best of luck
-superr.stu

RWK
09-12-10, 09:11
Decrease mileage until they're better, the build up gradually. I put this one twice because a lot of times you'll see someone that "Ran through" their shin splints and ended up with stress fractures.

Happened to me once. Not fun. :cray:

murphy j
09-12-10, 12:00
I'm also 38, have run regularly since late 05/early 06. The shoe advice and gradual build up in mileage are spot on. I hadn't run regularly since 97 when I left Active Duty and it took some time for my body to adjust. Part of that was re-learning how to run. Part was just pushing through the discomfort and just listening to my body. I over pronate to the extreme, so I need shoes with good stability. I can tell when they're getting worn down by the fact that my knees and shins start to hurt. I've also had the same problem when I've taken a break from running. I've recently taken up trail running and it seems to have a lower impact due to the slower pace and softer surface. I also seem to get a better workout in a shorter amount of time due to the ups and downs of the trail.

FlyAndFight
09-21-10, 08:29
Also, make sure your shoes have the proper amount of cushion. The hard impacts could also be a contributing factor. Try adding one of those gel-soles as well, if needed. It's worked for me.