PDA

View Full Version : Got an M&P40 and have a question

kal
09-10-10, 13:46
I brought the pistol home and am worried about something.

Either I didn't notice this with the other M&P's I was handling or they weren't doing this but here it goes.

I dry fire my pistol and hold the trigger down, I rack the slide but it doesn't go all the way forward until I release the trigger. It only goes forward to where the barrel would have unlocked and moves the rest of the way forward when the trigger is released.

Is this normal?

SWATcop556
09-10-10, 14:15
I'm trying to picture what's going on in my head but it definitely does not sound normal. You have any pics of where tge slide is hanging up?

Alpha Sierra
09-10-10, 14:20
You have a problem. The slide should slam into battery regardless.

Call S&W and tell them your problem. They will send you a UPS pickup label for you to ship it back.

Do not WECSOG it.

Det-Sog
09-10-10, 14:22
That does not sound normal for any modern auto.

Just tried it with my M&P .40. All is normal. Slide travels ALL the way forward when holding the trigger down.

kal
09-10-10, 14:27
I don't have any pics and don't know where the slide (most likely the striker) is being caught up on.

Where the slide sits after a hand cycle while holding the trigger is EXACTLY where the barrel is disengaged from the slide. When I release the trigger, the slide moves forward and locks the barrel.

the slide movement after releasing the trigger is about or less than 1/4 of an inch.

SWATcop556
09-10-10, 14:37
Definitely not normal. Without having hands on the guns it would be hard to say exactly what is hanging up the slide but it could be one of a couple of things. Do you see any scratch marks or rub marks that are shiny when the weapon is field stripped? Mainly the areas of the striker, trigger bar, plunger and such.

Hat Creek
09-10-10, 15:01
I dry fire my pistol and hold the trigger down, I rack the slide but it doesn't go all the way forward until I release the trigger. It only goes forward to where the barrel would have unlocked and moves the rest of the way forward when the trigger is released.

Is this normal?

Are you pulling the slide to the rear and then releasing it, allowing it to slam violently forward?

jaxman7
09-10-10, 15:15
My Glock 19 did this until the hood of the barrel wore down some where it interfaces with the slide. No its not normal but after a few hundred rounds it fixed itself.

ETA: My Glock didn't do it while racking the slide. It occurred while firing. Bang....slide goes almost into battery....reset...slide goes home.

mlk18
09-10-10, 15:21
At the very least I would call S&W and try and speak with a gunsmith.

kal
09-10-10, 17:08
Are you pulling the slide to the rear and then releasing it, allowing it to slam violently forward?

Well I took the pistol out, pulled the trigger and held it back, racked the slide and let it go forward by its self, and it went fully forward like it's supposed to do!:dance3:

But if I "ride" the slide, it won't go all the way. I guess during the violent cycling of the action during live fire, the slide will operate as it should. Or is it still a concern?

MichaelD
09-10-10, 17:51
I'd still have S&W check it out.

rathos
09-10-10, 18:05
you are riding the slide. If you push the slide forward you when it does this does it go? If I ride the slide on my .45 it does the same thing, but my 9mm is worked in enough it no longer does this.

kal
09-10-10, 19:25
If you push the slide forward you when it does this does it go?

Nope. I'm ramming it home but it's not going all the way forward until I pull back and release the slide or let go of the trigger.

rathos
09-10-10, 21:26
pictures of the inside near the striker plate and the striker in the slide?

kal
09-11-10, 15:49
I took it to the range today.....

Cons:
-M&P pistols are crude as hell, makes my Taurus feel like a Teir 1 pistol.
-trigger is awful, like they purposely put pebbles in the action at the factory.
-the play between slide and frame is very loose. There's also a gap you can see through the side/frame with that is very wide.

Pros:
-200rds no problem:cool: <<<<That's all that matters. But we'll see after about a thousand rounds.

The problems I was having when hand cycling the pistol was not evident during live fire. I pulled the trigger and held it back, and the slide cycled all the way forward each and every time. I disassembled the pistol and saw nothing odd with the action (ex: premature wear, etc). Good purchase!:D

jaxman7
09-11-10, 17:03
Kal,

If you said this earlier I just missed it, but was this a new pistol you bought or used?

-Jax

kal
09-11-10, 17:18
If you said this earlier I just missed it, but was this a new pistol you bought or used?

New in box from an FFL.

Alpha Sierra
09-11-10, 17:26

Cons:
I find this incredibly hard to believe

4thPointOfContact
09-11-10, 17:55

Cons:

I find this incredibly hard to believe

When I first got my M&P, I thought that it appeared crude as well. I looked at the coiled metal roll pins vs the solid pins and thought, 'surely they must be kidding!" Right after that, I learned that the roll pins are superior for the intended use.
Combine that and the 'OMG, you can see right through it!" design as opposed to just about any other pistol and you might wind up with the same unfortunate impression.

After a little bit, you realize that being able to see through the gap is immaterial and that the rolled pins are a matter of function over appearance.

DocGKR
09-11-10, 20:36
Kal--put in an Apex Duty Kit and your trigger problems will be solved.

"M&P pistols are crude as hell, makes my Taurus feel like a Teir 1 pistol."

As an armorer on several different weapon systems, including the M&P, I can confidently state that your comment in grossly in error. The M&P is actually quite an elegant design that functions very well and is easy to customize so as to optimize ergonomics and function for each individual user.

kal
09-11-10, 22:49
As an armorer on several different weapon systems, including the M&P, I can confidently state that your comment in grossly in error. The M&P is actually quite an elegant design that functions very well and is easy to customize so as to optimize ergonomics and function for each individual user.

While I may not like some details about the M&P, I'm still satisfied with the purchase and don't plan on replacing it any time soon, if ever.

No doubt, it really is the pistol I should have bought back in april.

SWATcop556
09-12-10, 06:24
Well if you decide to let the M&P go I'll buy you the Taurus of your choice and we can do a straight across trade. :ph34r:

Entropy
09-12-10, 08:26
Cons:
I'll have to disagree with you on that. It is a very well made and thought out pistol. It's designed for the police market which is highly abusive to guns, and it has so far been one of the longer lasting designs out there. I challenge you to find a Taurus in service that will do as well.

-trigger is awful, like they purposely put pebbles in the action at the factory.
I don't like the trigger either. After almost 10 years of using nothing but Sigs, it's hard for me to like any trigger that doesn't have glassy pull and superb break. Try an Apex drop in.....makes a big difference.

-the play between slide and frame is very loose. There's also a gap you can see through the side/frame with that is very wide.
It's a polymer framed pistol......they all have gaps and play between the slide and frame. What is important is that there is little play between the barrel and slide when the action is closed. That is the mechanical determination of consistent accuracy and the M&P has a pretty tight mating.

Det-Sog
09-12-10, 08:44
I don't like the trigger either. After almost 10 years of using nothing but Sigs, it's hard for me to like any trigger that doesn't have glassy pull and superb break. Try an Apex drop in.....makes a big difference.

+1. The M&P W/ APEX is an awesome setup.

kal
10-09-10, 14:19
update on my m&p40

So far, I've fired 600rds of federal 40sw and had zero issues.

Today I fired a little over 150rds of steel case tulammo and had nothing but trouble.

Constantly, one round after another, failure to feeds and a handful of failure to eject/double feeds. My m&p was a manually operated pistol today.

Failure to feed---the round gets hung up on the feed ramp. Either it's the odd shape of the bullet(can't explain properly without pics, those who have fired tulammo 40sw will easily understand), or sharp and thick casing edges where the bullet sits.

double feed/FTE---apparently the extractor would slip off the rim and try to feed another round. I'm surprised the extractor didn't snap off or something.

Is this common with steel cased pistol rounds or is the M&P40 particularly susceptible to steel cased ammo?

Either way, I'm keeping my m&p40. It's purely a defensive pistol designed to shoot quality ammo through it and that's fine with me.

RogerinTPA
10-09-10, 15:05
I own 4 M&Ps, including the.40. Mine are highly reliable with all having over 5K rounds fired. Three have over 9K, with several high round count pistol courses. None have any of the characteristics you described. The stock triggers are so so, but mine weren't as bad as some have experienced. Example, my M&P40 and 45 have very good stock triggers with good resets, but my 9s didn't, which leads me to believe that there are some inconsistencies in them. I had a few stuck cases in my 40 when it was new, but that was on me for buying it and shooting it right after, without lube. With new M&Ps, I suggest a good cleaning and lube job prior to a range visit.

kal
10-09-10, 15:47
I own 4 M&Ps, including the.40. Mine are highly reliable with all having over 5K rounds fired. Three have over 9K, with several high round count pistol courses. None have any of the characteristics you described. The stock triggers are so so, but mine weren't as bad as some have experienced. Example, my M&P40 and 45 have very good stock triggers with good resets, but my 9s didn't, which leads me to believe that there are some inconsistencies in them. I had a few stuck cases in my 40 when it was new, but that was on me for buying it and shooting it right after, without lube. With new M&Ps, I suggest a good cleaning and lube job prior to a range visit.

at this point, there's nothing wrong with my pistol except for its inability to cycle steel cased ammo correctly. Are you suggesting I put lube into the chamber?:confused:

RogerinTPA
10-09-10, 16:04
at this point, there's nothing wrong with my pistol except for its inability to cycle steel cased ammo correctly. Are you suggesting I put lube into the chamber?:confused:

No, I am not. I meant what I said. On new pistol purchases, as well as any other weapon, cleaning and lubing prior to initial use, will help with reducing malfunctions that wouldn't otherwise develop.That is all.