PDA

View Full Version : M4gery crowd in Vermont?

barrelwrench
09-10-10, 16:41
Any one from Vermont into the AR platform???...

sgtmac
09-24-10, 07:45
Not from VT, but grew up just across the river. I go up to Thetford Center and shoot once a month-ish.

usmcvet
09-25-10, 18:02
I am in Barre, VT. Where are you?

barrelwrench
09-25-10, 18:13
I'm also a USMC vet, retired 78 to 98 all ground pounding no DI or recruiting duty. I spent most of my time in Pendleton with 5th Marine Regt, Blt 2/9 and then 2/4 after 2/9 redesignated to 2/4. Spent 1 year SOI as an instructor for sqd ldr and pltsgt course. How about you.

usmcvet
09-25-10, 18:30
I was a 90 day reservist. Left high school a few weeks early for boot camp. Went on to freshman year @ Norwich. My first drill we were put on 24 hour stand by our second drill we were activated. I went to the Gulf as an 0300 Basic Marine. Came back after the war and had orders for you to kick my ass @ SOI. I was blessed by the First Sergeant as an 0311 and told I would not be going to SOI. I was the ammo man in an M60 team during the Gulf.

sgtmac
09-26-10, 00:18
But I am from Hanover, I go up to Thetford to shoot when I want a little freedom and solitude!

barrelwrench
09-26-10, 22:28
Yep. Your a little south of me. I do most of my range work in St Johnsbury. They have a real nice range and it's open year round. It cost $40.00 for a membership and you get a key to the range, it's gated and keeps the riff raff out. They do Military High Power every 4Th Saturday of the month with the last one held in Oct. It's a nice clean range with covered shooting positions, 100 yard range, 200 yard range and a nice 50 yard pistol range.

usmcvet
09-26-10, 23:07
Sounds like a great range. I belong th the Barre Fish and Game Club. Our PD just qualified and did our annual night fire. It was a great training.

barrelwrench
09-27-10, 06:09
Ah yes, night fire. When I was with Immigration I was the FI that taught low level light and night firing. Now that DHS/CBP took over a lot of that training has change and they don't do much but the very basic to get on and off the range as fast as possible. The old firearms policy with immigration was great. Now, CBP isn't even allowed to clean their firearms at home.

SilentSniperVT
10-01-10, 16:57
I'm In Burlington along with about 6 others i shoot with that shoot AR's

usmcvet
10-01-10, 18:06
I'm In Burlington along with about 6 others i shoot with that shoot AR's

Man I was just stuck in 6 o'clock traffic in Burlington. It is nice to be south of there now. Yes I know nothing like Boston or 128 but still no fun.

Where do you guys shoot?

SilentSniperVT
10-01-10, 18:10
Man I was just stuck in 6 o'clock traffic in Burlington. It is nice to be south of there now. Yes I know nothing like Boston or 128 but still no fun.

Where do you guys shoot?

We go to Charlotte to the LeBerge's Place. Yea I hate the Traffic too i live right on Shelburne rd.

usmcvet
10-01-10, 18:16
I just picked up SBR# 2 two @ BJ's in Williston. I would like to shoot it soon.

SilentSniperVT
10-01-10, 18:19
I just picked up SBR# 2 two @ BJ's in Williston. I would lime to shoot it soon.

Nice Nice I just got my RRA Pro-series Government from Powderhorn last week. First AR Platform for me

usmcvet
10-01-10, 19:19
Nice Nice I just got my RRA Pro-series Government from Powderhorn last week. First AR Platform for me

Bill is a great guy. I used to make it up there more often. It is about an hour trip for me now. The size of his shop has doubled. It used to be just one floor.

SilentSniperVT
10-01-10, 19:22
Bill is a great guy. I used to make it up there more often. It is about an hour trip for me now. The size of his shop has doubled. It used to be just one floor.

They have been giving my Group guys some pretty good Prices for stuff. I now buy all my guns and gear at Powderhorn.

usmcvet
10-01-10, 19:35
They had a nice LMT carbine there last time I was in. Id just bought one or I would have jumped on it. Awesome gun and the price was good too.

SilentSniperVT
10-01-10, 19:37
yea i waiting for him the get the new Remington 700 in .338 Lapua. i think a .338 will be my next gun. and i had just gotten my 700 SPS when he said they were getting some 338's

usmcvet
10-01-10, 19:39
Does that hurt as bad as it sounds like it would!

SilentSniperVT
10-01-10, 19:42
the price on them are pretty steep my friend had one but i never shot it

barrelwrench
10-02-10, 13:14
Reseaching LMT's now for my next purchase lucky the wife is an FFL holder, if I'm nice I get a big discount...:laugh:

usmcvet
10-02-10, 14:33
I love my LMT and LMT uppers good stuff. You can try mine if you would like. My wiife would charge me extra.

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 14:44
the next gun besides the .338 i am looking at is the 9mm AR SBR or the .50 Beowulf upper

usmcvet
10-02-10, 14:52
I lime the idea of the 9mm because of the cost of ammo. I've actually read it kicks a bit more. I've never fired one.

We did get a S&W 15-22 and the reps you can get outta that per $ is awesome.

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 15:01
I lime the idea of the 9mm because of the cost of ammo. I've actually read it kicks a bit more. I've never fired one.

We did get a S&W 15-22 and the reps you can get outta that per $ is awesome.

Same here I've never fired a 9mm SBR. the 22 ar's are nice but i know a few people that has the .22 and they have feeding problems they say.

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 15:32
I just need to figure out the Legality with owning/possession of a SBR

usmcvet
10-02-10, 16:40
I just need to figure out the Legality with owning/possession of a SBR

It is actually pretty easy. I will give you a few links here that will answere most/all of your questions. I would also be happy to sit down over a coffee or beer and talk to you about it. I've done it twice and wish I'd done it sooner. My form 4 and second tax stamp came back approved yesterday. It took about 3.5 months each time. The wait is the biggest obstacle to over come.

You can do it a few ways, Form 1 or Form 4. Form 1 would be you taking an existing reciver and becoming the maker of an SBR/SBS this involves engraving your reciver with your name, city and state or the name, city and state of your Trust, LLC, Corp..... I went the trust route. This saved the fingerprint fees, photo and getting the Chief LEO in your town or county to sign your paperwork, a necessary step w/o using a Trust, LLC or Corporation.

The way I went was to buy a gun in the first case an LMT SBR 10 from Grant. Here is the link. So it was $1056 for the gun and $200 for the tax stamp.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-10

If you buy a gun already regerstered as an SBR you do not need to have it engraved, it saves some time and money and you have a factory built gun. A plus in my book.

The second gun I bought was a BCM registered SBR lower, Grant has those too, and $20 less than I paid for mine! If you'd like to shoot one or both of them some time It would give me a chance to get out and try out a new range. I think once you try it you will have the bug just like me.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-NFA

So here are the links. I learned alot from them.

NFA Page here on m4c:

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

How to SBR your Lower by ScottyRyan:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

"The Chart" will get you into arguments, but it is good information!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

More NFA Info:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15253

barrelwrench
10-02-10, 16:44
usmcvet,What do you have for a lower?

Sniper, Remember that the SBR lower receiver will be registered as an SBR and simply changing the upper (should you change your mind in the future) will not change it back to a standard, legal barrel. You will have to do paper work again to de-register it. But you can have multiple SB uppers for the registered receiver.

usmcvet
10-02-10, 16:51
I have an LMT lower and just got my BCM SBR lower yesterday.

usmcvet
10-02-10, 16:54
Sorry it is an LMT 2000 Defender. I think it is their bare bones lower no fancy trigger or ambi controls. If you look at my albums I have photos up. On my phone now or would post a few pics. If you want close ups of anything let me know.

barrelwrench
10-02-10, 16:54
I've been toying with the idea of getting an SBR. Question-do you have to pay the tax every year like with the C3's. What's with the LLC and SBR's, we're an LLC.

usmcvet
10-02-10, 16:58
No the tax is a one time deal unless you transfer it. $200 each transfer. I did a trust and made my wife and son trustees too so they can possess the SBR too. I love bow compact the gun is.

barrelwrench
10-02-10, 17:13
I think you just helped me decide to spend $$. I like the trust idea because my stepson will get all my fire sticks in the end. What barrel lengths, if you don't mind me asking, do you have.

usmcvet
10-02-10, 17:22
The LMT is a 10.5" and the BCM is a 11.5". The dwell time in a 11.5" is 80% greater and should aid in reliability. With that said my LMT and PD LMT upper have run 100% the PD for 2,000+ rounds and my gun for closer to 700-800 rounds.

I went with the BCM because if price. If you look at their web site a a complete upper with a BCM BCG and standard CH is $520 the bare LMT upper is $485. If you buy the complete LMT SBR from some one like G&R Tactical the whole thing was $1056 when you add it all up it is cheaper that way. The LMT came ready to go just add ammo and some lube. It had a BUIS, sling, handguards and manual.

The BCM was easier to swallow bit by bit. $400 for the lower then I bought parts as I had time knowing the tax stamp would take at least a few weeks.

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 19:03
yea I would really appreciate sitting down with you sometime and go over this some time with you. I am really looking into the SBR stuff do you need to register the upper or can i build one or order one before i get the approved stamp?

usmcvet
10-02-10, 19:07
The lower gets registered not the upper. You can buy the upper or build it w/o restriction. Just make sure you only put it on an SBR or machine gun.

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 19:10
okay sounds good because i can build one while i wait to get approved. but i should probably use one and see if i will like them before i dish out all that money

usmcvet
10-02-10, 20:07
Good idea. We should get a few guys together so we can shoot. I think BBLwrench said he shoots in St. Johnsbury. That might work for all of us. Can you bring guest to the range?

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 20:09
sounds good i know i can bring anyone to my range idk about you guys

barrelwrench
10-02-10, 21:11
Yeah it would be good to sit down and shoot the breeze-no pun intended. It looks like Ssniper and I are headed for a SBR. I know my wife showed some interest in the DPMS KittyKat. I'll go with the BCM 11.5 What if I have a lower that I want to use? can I register it as an SRB? or do I have to buy one from a manufacturer. I'm asking because I have 3 lowers kicking around the house.
Late note: We had an exciteing night when someone tried to break into our shop last night...they didn't count on my Rotti/Great Dane mix waiting for them on the other side. The dog did more damage to the building trying to get the scumbag after he pushed the window in.
Bastard got away, dog's still hungry, report was filed.:mad:

usmcvet
10-02-10, 21:33
Yeah it would be good to sit down and shoot the breeze-no pun intended. It looks like Ssniper and I are headed for a SBR. I know my wife showed some interest in the DPMS KittyKat. I'll go with the BCM 11.5 What if I have a lower that I want to use? can I register it as an SRB? or do I have to buy one from a manufacturer. I'm asking because I have 3 lowers kicking around the house.
Late note: We had an exciteing night when someone tried to break into our shop last night...they didn't count on my Rotti/Great Dane mix waiting for them on the other side. The dog did more damage to the building trying to get the scumbag after he pushed the window in.
Bastard got away, dog's still hungry, report was filed.:mad:

Glad the dog scared the idiots away. I saw on the news that things were getting bad up in your neck of the woods with B&E's.

You sure can use a lower you already have. You would go the form 1 route and become the maker of the SBR. You would need to engrave the reciver with your name, city and state ie John Doe, Newport, VT or the name of your Trust instead your name.

Orion and Ident are folks I've read good things about. I looked at both of them here are a few links.

http://www.orion-arms.com/

http://www.identmarking.com/

barrelwrench
10-02-10, 21:50
I'm going to check those sites out Thanks.
Yeah it's getting bad with the B&E's up here and some of the people were hit twice in 6 months. I think it was a spur of the moment for this person because it's known that I'm well armed and have a couple different types of security systems. Also the troopers on the midnight shift stop by and check on me since I live fairly secluded and work late into the night. Plus I do some of their firearms repair so they have a vested interest.

SilentSniperVT
10-02-10, 21:51
Sorry to hear about the Break-In. I have Noticed there is a big rise in crimes lately. the Motel near me his having a big issue with drug dealers and South Burlington Police won't do anything about it.

barrelwrench
10-03-10, 09:02
Yeah, well your talking about Burlington, which is a sanctuary city that is overwhelmed with liberals. The law enforcement farts in the wrong room and you have the fine people of the Burlington area screaming that there civil right have been violated. You know the LEO's go through great lengths not to use lethal force, but when some liberal dirt bag get tazed because he was showing violent tendency toward the officer the whole city barks civil violations.
No. I'm not in law enforcement, just a law abiding member of society.

usmcvet
10-03-10, 10:37
Dang Cops!:o
It is frustrating. For the public and the police.

SilentSniperVT
10-03-10, 21:23
yea they really need to do something about the stuff that goes on in Burlington. For example the Police chases, shots fired calls etc.

barrelwrench
10-04-10, 05:58
Being that we run a firearms repair business, and I participate in school and some youth activities, I do have a pulse with the younger crowed (sometimes more then I want to know). I hear( which we know), the drug pushing /ATV stealing crowd is from NY and Mass. Well' a lot of these stellar out of state door to door salesman like to CCW in Vermont. Their presumption of the law is that any one can carry in Vermont. I just think it's something that some LEO's may not be aware of and that they can arrest them for violating state firearms law. I love the common sense firearms law in Vermont, so don't get me wrong. But we need to enforce it when it comes to these dirt bags that think they can come to Vermont and play Shaft. LOL

barrelwrench
10-04-10, 20:54
usmcvet, I know this is hard to pinpoint but generally how long has the wait time been for first time apps for SBR's. I'm thinking of going the Form 1 route since I have the receivers on hand.

SilentSniperVT
10-04-10, 20:59
I'm guessing you need to be 21 to register a SBR

usmcvet
10-04-10, 23:09
Both times it was 3 1/2 months.

I think you have to be 21.

barrelwrench
10-05-10, 04:10
Yep. I going to go with the BCM 11.5. I'm trying to convince my wife to go with the same but for some reason she's stuck on that damn DPMS Kitty Kat.

I wish I had to worry about being old enough to buy an SBR. LOL

usmcvet
10-05-10, 06:42
Yep. I going to go with the BCM 11.5. I'm trying to convince my wife to go with the same but for some reason she's stuck on that damn DPMS Kitty Kat.

I wish I had to worry about being old enough to buy an SBR. LOL

Yeah us old guys have other things to worry about.

Have you showed her the chart? That might steer her away from the DPMS.

barrelwrench
10-05-10, 09:30
Yeah. I think it's because of the 7in barrel is why she likes it. I hate to sound sexist but it's that small and qute thingie idea that they get hung up on. She'll come around, she's a smart girl. I almost think she should get an AR pistol if it wasn't for reliability issues. She basically wants something a little more aggressive then a pistol but still some what's it concealable with a coat or jacket. It's for safety/security when walking around the property or in the shop.
I know she wouldn't want the AR 9mm in rifle or pistol. I'm the blame for that, she's heard to many war stories from me and a few friends about the 9mm. I know a bullet is a bullet and a 22 could kill you but it's just my preference. Crap! I guess I shouldn't complain....my wife likes firearms.

usmcvet
10-05-10, 12:13
I just looked online they say they will only sell to govt. or LE. She could prob buy an upper and go the form 1 route with you.

usmcvet
10-05-10, 13:53
BblWrench

Here are the photos I said I would post. Had to resize them from 14 MP to 600x600.

The OD is the LMT 10.5"
The FDE is the BCM 11.5"
I have to share the X300 for now, waiting on a new mount from the EE for a G2 Led flash light and all three guns will have a good light.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1444

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1445

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1450

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1449

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1446
Both of these cases are very well made and made here in America. The sneaky bag is my new choice. It offers more storage and looks less like a rifle bag. The bottom pouch in the sneaky bag holds an Eagle bandoleer with 4 Pmags and 2 Glock 22 mags.

barrelwrench
10-05-10, 20:21
Thanks. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight after viewing those pics. I WANT!!!... I take it the bottom one is the LMT, I like that one. The sneaky pack is nice too no advertisement that your packing an SBR and I like the color too. I try to avoid those tacticool colors and the apparel of "I'm a contractor in camel land, you would recognize my 1000 yard stare but I'm wearing my ultra ballistic raybans" look.
I stopped that the day I lost my 32inch waist and couldn't fit into my UDT shorts anymore. LOL
Yep. We're going the Form 1 way.
Natives are getting restless tonight. the same 4x4 woodchuck wagon has driven by 3 times in 8 minutes. Time to break out my thermal and go sit on the stone wall for awhile. Take care Chief. Stay safe.

usmcvet
10-05-10, 20:53
Yeah the LMT has the Aimpoint on it and the OD furniture.

Hmm 32" waist Bob Seager's like a rock comes to mind. I had a 32" waist when I graduated from PI, twenty years ago!

I have a chance to get some sweet pricing on the Sneakybags if I can get an order of ten. I'm in for another one I want one to fit a 14-16" AR. I liked the blue too. If you guys are interested let me know we can save quite a bit shoot me a email or pm for pricing.

barrelwrench
10-06-10, 21:14
I think this is going to be a good year for firearms repair. I wish these guys would discover 6.8 and 308 AR's for hunting. It's getting a little tiring working on old remington's and fabricating parts. I even had a customer bring in a Swiss Vetterli for detail disassembly/ cleaning and fabricate a firing pin....google that one!

SilentSniperVT
10-07-10, 13:10
Nice SBR's I'm liking the bottom one. been missing for a few days was Painting my 700

usmcvet
10-07-10, 15:42
Thanks. We want to see photos!

SilentSniperVT
10-07-10, 16:30
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMG00084-20101007-1652-1.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMG00086-20101007-1652.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMG00087-20101007-1652.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMG00084-20101007-1652.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMG00085-20101007-1652.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMG00088-20101007-1707.jpg

usmcvet
10-07-10, 16:49
Nice guns. What did you use for paint? I've used krylon a few times.

SilentSniperVT
10-07-10, 16:51
Nice guns. What did you use for paint? I've used krylon a few times.
Yea same here its the Krylon Camo Olive Paint

usmcvet
10-07-10, 17:58
Yeah I watched one of the Sniper Movies, saw the VHS tape in your photo :D, and wanted to try painting one of my guns. I painted the grip, stock and handguards. It came out well. Next time I am gonna paint the whole dang thing.

SilentSniperVT
10-07-10, 18:04
Yeah I watched one of the Sniper Movies, saw the VHS tape in your photo :D, and wanted to try painting one of my guns. I painted the grip, stock and handguards. It came out well. Next time I am gonna paint the whole dang thing.

HAHA that was not even set up like that but its a PC game and it sucks. Thats my 3rd paint job first was my Paintball gun and then my .22 that didn't come out so well

usmcvet
10-07-10, 18:10
Where do you do your paint ball. Have you been to Camp Meade in Middlesex? I drive buy all the time, I have never stopped in to check it out.

usmcvet
10-07-10, 18:11
Paint Ball might be a fun team building and training experience for our little Police Department. I know that simunitions gets the pucker factor up and those paint ball are alot bigger. .68 cal?

SilentSniperVT
10-07-10, 18:15
We Play at my friends Grandparents house or at Colchester Paintball. they are .68 Caliber rounds and they can get guns to look the same as a Real gun. I know the Military uses Paintball for training. My team Sponsor actually makes the Guns for the Military and can get me whatever i want/need. I'm selling all my paintball stuff to fund my Firearms Fund.

barrelwrench
10-08-10, 15:58
Ssniper, what did you coat it with ? I do a lot of duracoat and gunkote. Since I've done a few it has really taken off with the hunting crowd up here. I also do a pure ceramic coating on piston domes.
OK. I'm a day late on the pics part> Sorry, our phone line have been down for the las t two days

SilentSniperVT
10-08-10, 16:01
Ssniper, what did you coat it with ? I do a lot of duracoat and gunkote. Since I've done a few it has really taken off with the hunting crowd up here. I also do a pure ceramic coating on piston domes.

I used Krylon Paint. I would love to Duracoat it but don't have the means to and don't want to send it out to where ever for weeks to get it done.

barrelwrench
10-08-10, 16:36
I normally don't solicit on forums. But if you want something Duracoated I can do it. It would be about a 5 day turn around. I generally charge 135.00 for a complete rifle, one color to include stock, rings and scope base. Gunkote goes for 165.00 because that is a little more labor intense. M4gery's are the same but I don't do the portion of the barrel under the hand guard for heat displacement reason. Also the barrel and front sight come off for coating. I don't do the paint over everything and call it good. It comes apart and is coated as individual parts, then reassembled.
I don't charge what most would because I try to keep it matched with the local economy. I also don't do those ultra sexy, high speed, low drag, super secret operator paint jobs. I do a fishnet and some simple break up patterns. Like I said, I normally don't like to solicit on forums, I'm a one man shop and I'm not hurting for business. This is more a hobby/retirement gig.

usmcvet
10-08-10, 16:39
Fish net is a good idea. I bought a piece of camo netting to use when I get around to it.:) It might be a good winter project.

SilentSniperVT
10-08-10, 16:41
I normally don't solicit on forums. But if you want something Duracoated I can do it. It would be about a 5 day turn around. I generally charge 135.00 for a complete rifle, one color to include stock, rings and scope base. Gunkote goes for 165.00 because that is a little more labor intense. M4gery's are the same but I don't do the portion of the barrel under the hand guard for heat displacement reason. Also the barrel and front sight come off for coating. I don't do the paint over everything and call it good. It comes apart and is coated as individual parts, then reassembled.
I don't charge what most would because I try to keep it matched with the local economy. I also don't do those ultra sexy, high speed, low drag, super secret operator paint jobs. I do a fishnet and some simple break up patterns. Like I said, I normally don't like to solicit on forums, I'm a one man shop and I'm not hurting for business. This is more a hobby/retirement gig.

yea sounds good seems how last time i checked on this it was going to cost 210 plus shipping both ways and a 3-4 week turn around. can you do barrel threading and stuff like that?

barrelwrench
10-08-10, 22:17
I'm practicing my thread turning on some old barrels right now. I've been loaded with a lot of barrel crowning and porting lately. I'm self taught and all ways doing something on my lathe or milling machine to improve my machining skills. I do a lot of general firearms repair, trigger jobs, cut dovetails, cut 1911 frames for beaver tails, some welding and spring making and a LOT of drilling, taping and scope mounting plus a bunch of other stuff. I've done some work on a VSP sniper rifle (rem 700) and silver solder sights on their shotguns.
I've been to Colt, S&W and SIG for your basic LEO armorer's course and I was a field maintenance armor for CBP/DHS. My gig is the 1911, which is favorite, then the S&W M&P autos. Due to the local I also get a lot of lever action rifles. I don't consider myself a gunsmith, more of an armorer with some machine skills. But believe me when I say this, the AR platform is a piece of cake with the availability of parts and info and not as complicated as some of the auto shot guns
and semi auto hunting rifles. I better stop rambling. Sorry about that.

SilentSniperVT
10-08-10, 22:23
no its fine i'm looking at a few muzzle brakes for my 700 but need the barrel threaded first

barrelwrench
10-08-10, 22:49
What caliber is your 700? I Have the police models in 308 but the only mod I've done is add the mag extension and cheek pad for improved stock weld. I would send some pics but we are still on dial up and it takes for ever to up load. I'm thinking of going to 300 win mag if I can find a good amount of brass for reloading. If I had my choice I would go 338L. Then I would want a muzzle break.

SilentSniperVT
10-08-10, 22:52
its .308 Winchester. i want a .338 lapua but don't got the money for one of them lol. i really want to get a box mag for my 700 but some of them cost 100 shy of what i paid for it

barrelwrench
10-08-10, 23:01
Brownells has one that is re-enforced glass for well under $100. and it works pretty good. But your right about the cost, Have you seen what the detachable mag set up cost!!!

SilentSniperVT
10-09-10, 07:33
Brownells has one that is re-enforced glass for well under $100. and it works pretty good. But your right about the cost, Have you seen what the detachable mag set up cost!!!

yea thats what i'm looking for a Detachable Mag kit. i did fine a nice stock for the 700 with a mag kit for like 800

GhostB14
10-30-10, 19:50
Any one from Vermont into the AR platform???...

Yes, Lunenburg here, currently have a RRA and a M&P15-22(almost tiwns). I have not been shooting them as much as my G19 lately, but they still see the light of day once and a while.

usmcvet
10-30-10, 20:00
I love shooting the M&P 15-22!

GhostB14
10-30-10, 20:08
The little S&W really is a hoot to run, it's a home-run in my book. Knock on wood mine has 95% since I got it. Very few issues and I think most(if not all) of its issues were operator error :rolleyes:
I think is should break it out in the a.m.

usmcvet
10-30-10, 20:12
Yeah the mags a PITA to load but the thing rocks.

barrelwrench
10-31-10, 00:05
I have one and love it. Best and inexpensive way to keep fresh on IA drills. It is the best tool for teaching the AR platform to people with little to no experience. I have to be a little gentle with it when doing disabled shooter drills since it is a little more delicate then an actual AR. Hey usmcvet, how's it going. I've been busier then a one legged man in an ass kicking contest with repairs. Just repaired and test fired a Springfield SOCOM II, fun gun to shoot.
Lunenberg, where did you purchase your toys Village in Lyndonville?

usmcvet
10-31-10, 00:09
Something I had not thought about initially was using the gun with a young and small shooter because of the ability to collapse the stock.

GhostB14
10-31-10, 11:32
For the past couple of years most of my toys have come from Parros or R&L Archery. I have not been to Village Sports in quite a long time. I have also picked up some stuff on the other side of the river(NH) LL Cote, Corey's, Village Gunstore.

It was light light shining on marble head when I shortened up the M&P for my five year old. Those guns are a big + all the way around for so many things.

barrelwrench
10-31-10, 22:29
Ghost, some of those shops did some pretty hefty gouging during the OBAMA scare. I was appaulled at some of the prices they charged for a basic flat top.

usmcvet, Yep I have two more on order for a basic AR platform course I'll be teaching in May. Two days with the M&P 22's and the last day with full size AR. I only take 3 or 4 per class. Matter of fact that's where my SBR money went too last week.
I had a couple of MK77's in 6.5 Creedmore come in today that have real rough feed ramps. I'm going to have to break out the 555 polish and a craytex tip and make them purr. I can't belieave they came from the factory like that. We need to set up a play date and do some shooting. I'll bring my wrench and flamming pig soo you can try it on your SBR.
Catch you later. My eyeballs are toast from all the drilling from those uppers.
Semper Fi and stay safe

SilentSniperVT
10-31-10, 22:36
I was looking into getting a 15-22 for my sister to us when me and my brother are shooting our AR"s. and when i want to shoot really cheap.

usmcvet
10-31-10, 22:41
Sounds like a plan Gunny.

GhostB14
11-01-10, 18:37
I didn't buy any guns during the "scare", so I did not see any of the gouging that was going on. Teaching classes are ya, pm inbound.

barrelwrench
11-01-10, 21:40
I can say that I have seen an increase in AR platform hunting rifles and request for information on the platform for hunting. I think that's a healthy sign for the firearms community. It's been a real education for some of my customers on the AR ,for other then being just an assault rifle. DPMS should be given the credit for this since they produce the most variants for hunting and varmint shooting. Some of the customers do a lot of coyote hunting with the DPMS 243 and love it.
Any thing I can do to take the demonizing anti gun crowd out of the AR picture is a plus.

"Good night Chesty Puller, where ever you are"

SilentSniperVT
02-01-11, 22:20
hey Barrel Wrench is there any shooting ranges up your way that i can test fire my AR after some recent changes? my range i have no access til the snow melts

barrelwrench
02-02-11, 11:51
I've heard that the range is open all year now and they keep it plowed and the club house is open too. I would check their website to make sure. Just got done making my first compensator and blind pinned it to the barrel of an L1A1 for a customer. I wish I wasn't on dial up or I would send some pixs.

SilentSniperVT
07-17-11, 15:19
Sorry to bring up a old thread but you guys still want to get together sometime this summer to do some shooting, and talk about the SBR process?