PDA

View Full Version : MD Rifle Purchase by a Virginian

CarlosDJackal
09-10-10, 20:31
I never thought I would refer to myself as a "Virginian". :D I may have an opportunity to purchase a rifle at a decent price from a Maryland resident. As stated, I am a Virginia resident who has purchased long guns from FFL Dealers in Maryland.

The law allows me to do so (following all the normal FFL processes and paperwork). In those instances, once I received the okay via NICS it was "cash and carry" which meant that I did not have to have the selling dealer ship the rifle to a local FFL.

So does anyone know if the same can be said of private sales? Or does the rifle have to be shipped from FFL to FFL? TIA.

Belmont31R
09-11-10, 00:46
It would have to be shipped to an FFL in your state of legal residence.

You cannot buy firearms out of state FTF.

Robb Jensen
09-11-10, 08:29
All private sales can occur 100% privately if both persons are residents of the same state. If both persons aren't residents of the same state you'll have to have the other person bring or send the rifle to an FFL of your choice in your state of residence per Federal law.

I never thought I would refer to myself as a "Virginian". :D I may have an opportunity to purchase a rifle at a decent price from a Maryland resident. As stated, I am a Virginia resident who has purchased long guns from FFL Dealers in Maryland.

The law allows me to do so (following all the normal FFL processes and paperwork). In those instances, once I received the okay via NICS it was "cash and carry" which meant that I did not have to have the selling dealer ship the rifle to a local FFL.

So does anyone know if the same can be said of private sales? Or does the rifle have to be shipped from FFL to FFL? TIA.

CarlosDJackal
09-11-10, 09:16
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Robb Jensen
09-11-10, 12:24
Thanks. That's what I thought.

You can also have the MD guy take it to a dealer in MD and then have that dealer transfer it to you. It was a bit early this morning when I originally replied (before my coffee and before the gym).