PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Upgrades

OneInchPunch
09-10-10, 22:15

hey guys, i bought a bushy a while ago, and it has functioned excellently. however i want to upgrade it to a more "mil spec" rifle. here is what i have come up with so far, and any more help would be great.

BCM Bolt carrier group, eventually a new barrel from either bcm or dd. since the stock i bought from magpul is for com spec and there is no evidence of mil spec being stronger, i think ill leave it. the barrel i have now is 3/4 in at 100yds with AE 5.56x45and i cant see spending money to replace it already. the feed ramp issue has never been a problem in the past, so im not really worried about it yet (if problems arise i will address them).

i have run the gun through a lot of rounds, including a day where there was over 850 rounds put down range in about 5-7 hours, and i have had no problems to report. i understand that bushy has a bad reputation on these forums so im trying to stop the trouble before it starts. any help would be great.

thanks,
Chris

mvician
09-10-10, 22:25
Read this thread by Grant ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532&highlight=bushmaster

OneInchPunch
09-10-10, 22:33
Read this thread by Grant ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532&highlight=bushmaster

yea i did, i just wanted input in my specific case. thanks though i already did almost everything he did. i installed a taller post, h buffer and bcm bcg so as far as i know it should be good to go.

thanks man

chris

LRChops
09-11-10, 01:32
I did something similiar with my Bushmaster as well. I traded the dissipator upper to a friend for a NEW Colt M4 upper complete!!! What a hell of a deal. I put in a Mil Spec Vltor buffer tube assembly with clubfoot and H2 buffer, Magpul grip, YHM rail forend, Vortex flash suppressor, Magpul trigger guard, and kept the Eotech 512 (though I do not care much for Eotechs). Pretty much the only thing Bushmaster is the lower and trigger group. The rifle is now dialed!!!

Bolt_Overide
09-11-10, 10:32
if youre wanting a rifle thats more "mil-spec" why continue to spend money upgrading one that isnt?

Not trying to slam you, or your rifle. Just saying you might wanna consider that.

LRChops
09-11-10, 11:03
if youre wanting a rifle thats more "mil-spec" why continue to spend money upgrading one that isnt?

Not trying to slam you, or your rifle. Just saying you might wanna consider that.

It does not cost much to convert a Bushmaster into a more MIL SPEC rifle. It is already a solid platform and there is nothing wrong with it. A BCG costs $130 and it really makes no difference if you have a commercial or mil spec buffer tube. In fact, the guys at Bravo company e-mailed me and said not to even bother with that unless I really wanted to spend the coin.

I find it interesting how some people here just have straight up distain for Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, STAG, and just about anything not BCM, COLT, or super stylish Platimun Grade Trendy!

I took my Bushmaster and RRA and upgraded them both and they are every bit as reliable and tough as any other rifle here. Both have CNC machined billet lowers, so I am wondering what the hate is?

Anyway, the Bushy pictured here is Ritious!

The Solid
09-11-10, 11:24
The only real bitch I have with people that knock "lower" tier rifles is when it comes to staking. I completely understand the thought that if they can't stake it right than what else did they skimp on, but come on. A two minute stake job, being the defining issue on many peoples arguments against some "lower" tier rifles. If you wanna argue barrel steel, BCG steel, BCG testing, etc. than fine. But for some reason those staking comments really just strike me as funny. Here you have a "net" commando that's so bad-ass, but they can't even stake a BCG or endplate.

LRChops
09-11-10, 11:33
The only real bitch I have with people that knock "lower" tier rifles is when it comes to staking. I completely understand the thought that if they can't stake it right than what else did they skimp on, but come on. A two minute stake job, being the defining issue on many peoples arguments against some "lower" tier rifles. If you wanna argue barrel steel, BCG steel, BCG testing, etc. than fine. But for some reason those staking comments really just strike me as funny. Here you have a "net" commando that's so bad-ass, but they can't even stake a BCG or endplate.

I agree from what I read here the big deal is 'STAKING' I did not even know the term until I joined up here a few weeks ago. Now I rebuilt my Bushy and RRA the other day and went out in my shop and STAKED the castle nuts in about 2 minutes!!! The gas keys were all properly staked!!!! Its just a fricken indent to stop potential rotation of a part. In the aircraft industry everything is safety wired!

So staking is really secondary to using safety wire!!!:D:jester:

M4arc
09-11-10, 11:36
Honestly man, I wouldn't go and make a bunch of changes. If it's reliable (like you say it is) then shoot the piss out of it and spend your money on a defensive carbine class and training.

I've said it so many times here but for some reason people only want to focus on the negative: I would have an issue buying and running a Bushmaster if the price was right. Obviously I'm not going to spend the same or more for it than I would a BCM, LMT or Colt but if I found a deal I'd buy one and run it. There are some things I would inspect or replace before going to a class;

- Inspect front sight to make sure it's straight.
- Inspect gas key to make sure it's tight and staked properly.
- Inspect buffer tube castle nut to make sure it's tight (I generally don't stake these).
- Relace the buffer with an H buffer (personal preference).
- Install red dot, sling & BUIS and zero/function check.

I know what you're saying; "but M4arc I'd do that with any carbine." You're absolutely right, I would do that with any carbine I purchased as well. My point being, don't get wrapped around the axles because you purchased or own a Bushmaster. Give it a little TLC up front and press on. Too much is made of this issue.

markm
09-11-10, 12:07
Keep shooting as you start building your middy BCM gun. :cool:

I have a few Bushmaster uppers that I use on beater guns. I run BCM bolt groups in them.

Dos Cylindros
09-11-10, 18:21
I agree too much is made of the issue. You seem to have brought the Bushy up to par, and it should serve you well.

Here is my Bushy, but the only thing left is the Bushy lower.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSC_0155.jpg

Iraqgunz
09-11-10, 19:06
Here is my thought on staking. It's not because of (according to Solid) But for some reason those staking comments really just strike me as funny. Here you have a "net" commando that's so bad-ass, but they can't even stake a BCG or endplate.

It's because it's so simple to do yet they continue not to do it. It's about attention to detail. For what they are charging for the gun you shouldn't have to anything to it.

It also doesn't make sense to me to spend that kind of money and then having to spend more to bring it to the level that I WANT IT TO BE when there are other options off the shelf.

Iraqgunz
09-11-10, 19:14
Here is a good example. You stated that you didn't know what staking was until a few weeks ago. Now put yourself in this situation.

You spend 500.00+ to attend a 3 day carbine course and your carrier key works loose causing you to have repeated malfunctions which takes away from your training time and slows down the class. How are you going to feel? And before you say it doesn't happen it is a DOCUMENTED AND KNOWN FACT that it does happen.

Or you are going through the same course and your castle nut loosens causing your lower receiver extension to loosen which in turn can damage your threads or cause your buffer detent and spring to launch inside the weapon. Again, if you don't think it can happen I have beach front property for sale in Arizona. These are all best case scenarios. Worst case is that you are using it for self defense and a stupid preventable malfunction causes your weapon to fail and you get killed.

I agree from what I read here the big deal is 'STAKING' I did not even know the term until I joined up here a few weeks ago. Now I rebuilt my Bushy and RRA the other day and went out in my shop and STAKED the castle nuts in about 2 minutes!!! The gas keys were all properly staked!!!! Its just a fricken indent to stop potential rotation of a part. In the aircraft industry everything is safety wired!

So staking is really secondary to using safety wire!!!:D:jester:

LRChops
09-11-10, 19:28
Here is a good example. You stated that you didn't know what staking was until a few weeks ago. Now put yourself in this situation.

You spend 500.00+ to attend a 3 day carbine course and your carrier key works loose causing you to have repeated malfunctions which takes away from your training time and slows down the class. How are you going to feel? And before you say it doesn't happen it is a DOCUMENTED AND KNOWN FACT that it does happen.

Or you are going through the same course and your castle nut loosens causing your lower receiver extension to loosen which in turn can damage your threads or cause your buffer detent and spring to launch inside the weapon. Again, if you don't think it can happen I have beach front property for sale in Arizona. These are all best case scenarios. Worst case is that you are using it for self defense and a stupid preventable malfunction causes your weapon to fail and you get killed.

I was not familiar with the term STAKING. My duty guns were always staked because they are Colt rifles!!!

The castle nuts on my Bushmaster and RRA were not staked, but I did stake the nuts to insure for stablility. It took me all but about 2 minutes to do.

ST911
09-11-10, 19:35
I find it interesting how some people here just have straight up distain for Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, STAG, and just about anything not BCM, COLT, or super stylish Platimun Grade Trendy!

Some people here bet their lives on their gear, and leave little to chance. Their advice is tendered accordingly.

Some folks will never use the gun enough to know the difference between good-to-go and good-as.

Buy what you need.

Iraqgunz
09-11-10, 19:43
You are completely missing the point. The RRA and Bushamster weren't staked. And although it only took two minutes to do it, what if you hadn't learned about it or done it and then (insert my scenarios from above)? Do you get what I am saying?

Do you know how many people have purchased AR's and then came here because they didn't know how to disassemble them?

Gun manufacturers don't make them for you and me. They make them for the masses. That means that are plenty of people who don't know what a "staking" is, or that there are several different buffers out there. That means there are also plenty of people who don't know what a staking is or the importance of it.

I was not familiar with the term STAKING. My duty guns were always staked because they are Colt rifles!!!

The castle nuts on my Bushmaster and RRA were not staked, but I did stake the nuts to insure for stablility. It took me all but about 2 minutes to do.

M4arc
09-11-10, 21:18
A couple of you guys need to look at the URL in your browser. This isn't Glocktalk so make a mental note.

This has nothing to do with what's on the side of the lower. It has to do with attention to detail and comparing specifications on similar priced carbines. It’s about specs features and attention to detail. If some of you can’t realize that ar15.com and glocktalk.com might be right up your alley.

Evolution
09-11-10, 21:21
Disregard found them with a search

Is there a thread that explains staking castle nut and the gas key and the other weakness' in BM and RRA?

I looked at Grant's thread, and couldn't see a difference between the before and after pictures.

Bolt_Overide
09-11-10, 21:58
If youre happy with the rifle thats all that really matters in the end. For me, I refuse to give bushmaster my money because I see them as lazy and pushing an inferior product to unknowing consumers. This opinion of them is keeping me from buying an ACR, something Ive wanted quite bad for years, but until they clean up their act, I wont buy one.

OneInchPunch
09-11-10, 22:39
i see both sides of the issue. on one hand bushy does cut corners thats just the cold shit facts. on the other hand, for me, it has been great. after getting educated and swallowing a huge dumb ass pride, i decided to upgrade what i needed to be instead of buying another rifle just because i want the experience. i ordered bcm bcg the other day, got an h buffer from one of my distributors (RSR) and decided that the sentimental value (first AR ever purchased) warranted the extra cost and time to make it better. i love my bushy and wouldnt sell it or trade it ever just because of pure emotional attachment (call me weird). although i do think some of the bashin that goes on is 100% credible bull shit, they do raise some good points and if i can learn from someone elses mistakes instead of making my own then hell yea, but bushy has always backed me up (im a dealer). in my mind thats worth something maybe not to anybody else but to me its worth a shot.

so after those upgrades, (minus barrel, im not a full auto guy) imo the gun should be good to go. maybe in the future ill have a bcm or a colt but until then ill upgrade this machine until i cant anymore. just because its my first love :D

OneInchPunch
09-11-10, 22:44
It does not cost much to convert a Bushmaster into a more MIL SPEC rifle. It is already a solid platform and there is nothing wrong with it. A BCG costs $130 and it really makes no difference if you have a commercial or mil spec buffer tube. In fact, the guys at Bravo company e-mailed me and said not to even bother with that unless I really wanted to spend the coin.

I took my Bushmaster and RRA and upgraded them both and they are every bit as reliable and tough as any other rifle here. Both have CNC machined billet lowers, so I am wondering what the hate is?

Anyway, the Bushy pictured here is Ritious!

TOrrock
09-11-10, 22:49
i see both sides of the issue. on one hand bushy does cut corners thats just the cold shit facts. on the other hand, for me, it has been great. after getting educated and swallowing a huge dumb ass pride, i decided to upgrade what i needed to be instead of buying another rifle just because i want the experience. i ordered bcm bcg the other day, got an h buffer from one of my distributors (RSR) and decided that the sentimental value (first AR ever purchased) warranted the extra cost and time to make it better. i love my bushy and wouldnt sell it or trade it ever just because of pure emotional attachment (call me weird). although i do think some of the bashin that goes on is 100% credible bull shit, they do raise some good points and if i can learn from someone elses mistakes instead of making my own then hell yea, but bushy has always backed me up (im a dealer). in my mind thats worth something maybe not to anybody else but to me its worth a shot.

so after those upgrades, (minus barrel, im not a full auto guy) imo the gun should be good to go. maybe in the future ill have a bcm or a colt but until then ill upgrade this machine until i cant anymore. just because its my first love :D

I understand emotional attachment.....but I've had to personally let go of a lot of guns that I had that kind of attachment to. It doesn't get easier as the years go by.

If you're going to keep the Bushy, and you're upgrading the parts that you need to, staking what you need to, make sure that you check the chamber to make sure it's actually 5.56mm. It's not uncommon for Bushmaster, DPMS, RR, etc, to mark the barrel as 5.56mm when it's actually closer to .223.

The 5.56mm chamber goes a long way towards increasing reliability and allowing a broader range of ammunition to be used.

It take a lot to admit that you swallowed your pride....welcome to M4C. :D

I've got the feeling that you'll be buying another carbine at some point in the near future to compliment the one you already have.

LRChops
09-12-10, 01:06
My first carbine was a Colt Ar-15 A2 and I still have it. Great gun! This was one that had a 2 position retractable stock, 16" pencil barrel, and one piece upper reciever. I will never sell it!

Also got the Bushmaster and RRA. I have had the Bushmaster since 1995 and have cycled thousands of rounds through it with no issues. The RRA is a couple years old and has had no issues.

My latest rifle is the Colt 6940 which I carry as a duty weapon. I love it! Love all the rifles! I'm an addict is the only reason I buy them! Not so much because one is better than the other. I think I lucked out and just got some good rifles!! I see a lot of bad talk about the RRA gas keys not being properly staked, but mine is and it came with the heavy duty extractor spring from the factory. So I have not had any negaive experience with these guns. Although, I did do the upgrades and keep the original parts for backup.

Knowing what I know now from using this forum, My next rifle will be a BCM. They are top notch and I like top notch stuff straight from the box! It is a bit disheartening knowing that there has been many problems with RRA and Bushmaster, even though my rifles are fine.

OneInchPunch
09-12-10, 21:42
yea, i got the chamber checked at a certified AR15 armorer, and he said that it is a true 5.56, he used the correct gauge and everything so im not worried about it. besides i do plan to eventually replace the barrel with a bcm anyway. it took a lot for me to admit it but bcm should have been my choice, could have saved a lot of money. but i got the bushy on a great buy and now have experience i wouldnt have gotten any other way so, ill call it even.

az doug
09-12-10, 21:55
Honestly man, I wouldn't go and make a bunch of changes. If it's reliable (like you say it is) then shoot the piss out of it and spend your money on a defensive carbine class and training.

I've said it so many times here but for some reason people only want to focus on the negative: I would have an issue buying and running a Bushmaster if the price was right. Obviously I'm not going to spend the same or more for it than I would a BCM, LMT or Colt but if I found a deal I'd buy one and run it. There are some things I would inspect or replace before going to a class;...

I agree 100%.