PDA

View Full Version : Which Ammo to Shoot First at Class?

Submariner
07-08-07, 06:52
We are heading to Boone County for Pat's Carbine Operator class. Trying to use some of the older ammunition in the bunker. Choices are 1983 South African M193 in battle packs (Berdan primed so difficult to reload) and 1984 5.56mm WW Q3131 (loaded at Lake City back when WW had the contract).

Which would you shoot first (and why)?

jmart
07-08-07, 07:17
SA. Focus on training, not on recovering brass. Just sweep it up at the end of the day and dump it.

Use the Win for practice where you have time to recover it, process it and reload it.

Dport
07-08-07, 08:36
I agree with jmart. As long as they both are reliable that's the way I'd go.

Submariner
07-08-07, 13:02
Makes sense. Thanks.:D

Hawkeye
07-08-07, 13:07
Another vote for the above.

Harv
07-08-07, 20:45
Paul.. Are you in the 11-13 July Class???

Resq47
07-09-07, 02:55
Another vote for shooting up the berdan primed stuff first. It's looking like wolf or maybe .45 in the AR45 for my class next month...

Submariner
07-09-07, 06:45
Paul.. Are you in the 11-13 July Class???

Some folks dropped out, sooo... Emily, Nathan and I are all coming! You gonna be there?

I'm bringing one of the .22's.

Harv
07-09-07, 07:57
Yes... A fellow Board member from over on LightFighter who I shot with last year up here in Pat's Class and I will be road marching down tomorrow. Will be in Town Tue Afternoon. It was a strange trip leading down to here... I'll tell ya all about it......;)

Harv

shooter521
07-09-07, 08:32
It was a strange trip leading down to here... I'll tell ya all about it......;)

Oh come on, share with the rest of us! I love a good Harv story. ;)

Guys - if the first evolution of this class was any indication, you are going to have BIG fun. Hope the weather holds for ya!

Steve
07-09-07, 09:21
2 of my guys just finished with you shooter521

Dirk diggler and rick with the m1A1 scout.

Submariner
07-09-07, 12:05
Yes... A fellow Board member from over on LightFighter who I shot with last year up here in Pat's Class and I will be road marching down tomorrow. Will be in Town Tue Afternoon. It was a strange trip leading down to here... I'll tell ya all about it......;)

Harv

Where y'all staying?

rhino
07-09-07, 12:55
Some folks dropped out, sooo... Emily, Nathan and I are all coming! You gonna be there?

I'll try to come by and say hello to you three. I can't go a whole year without seeing the Paskeys! :D

shooter521
07-09-07, 13:50
2 of my guys just finished with you shooter521

Dirk diggler and rick with the m1A1 scout.

Rick straight-up rocked that M1A. Watching him throwing that gun around like an AR and doing hammers and NSRs at close range was inspiring, to say the least!

What was "Dirk's" real name? Not sure if I talked with him much or not.

Getting the opportunity to be a team leader for the LAPD drills at the end of TD3 was the big payoff for me - even moreso than the free gear I got for being high overall shooter. :D

"Stuff you'd never get to do in your day job, 101." Great friggin class!

rhino
07-09-07, 14:39
Getting the opportunity to be a team leader for the LAPD drills at the end of TD3 was the big payoff for me - even moreso than the free gear I got for being high overall shooter. :D

What were the "LAPD drills"?

Submariner
07-09-07, 14:52
I'll try to come by and say hello to you three. I can't go a whole year without seeing the Paskeys! :D

Roger.:D

Steve
07-09-07, 21:21
Shooter pm inbound.

shooter521
07-10-07, 07:36
What were the "LAPD drills"?

Standby for my review, which will be posted in Pat's AAR thread above. Should have pics and video by week's end.

shooter521
07-10-07, 07:37
Standby for my review, which will be posted in Pat's AAR thread above. Should have pics and video by week's end.

Paul:
Sorry for the hijack! :(

Submariner
07-10-07, 08:37
Paul:
Sorry for the hijack! :(

Not a problem!

We are heading out the door for Boone County now.

Did you know it may not even make 80F tomorrow?:cool:

Submariner
07-14-07, 08:04
Out of 9 battle packs we fired between the three of us, there were, at least, 13 misfires, i.e. good, solid primer strikes with no ignition. Most occurred inside 25 yards so we got some great transitions. Pat was there, at first thinking there was a failure to properly PUSH/PULL to seat the mag inducing a Type I malfunction and ready to award a moose c*ck.:D When we executed the PUSH/PULL, RACK and ROLL, he caught the cartridge, inspected the primer and we observed just a bit of a smile on his face.

Affected cases were stamped 83-12. Glad I didn't whored that stuff!:mad:

carshooter
07-15-07, 19:59
I shot more than 10K of the South African ammo 8 or 9 years ago. All the South African 223 seemed to have much harder than average primers and it took a high quality, full powered hammer spring to set it off.

As a result of using this ammo, I discovered two weak hammer springs in my four rifles. I took that as a sign and have since attempted to only use known high quality hammer springs and I attempt to check and replace them as a part of my preventative maintenance.

FWIW

Submariner
07-15-07, 21:07
Two of three carbines we used gave all the misfires, both with over 7,000 rounds. No problems with new Colt lower. Replacing the original Colt springs in these two may not be a bad idea.

Dport
07-15-07, 21:12
I hope the ammo difficulties didn't negatively affect your training experience.

Submariner
07-16-07, 06:35
Nope. Most were inside 25 yards so we got to transition to the blaster. For those outside 25 yards, it was PUSH/PULL, RACK and ROLL, then finish the drill. While the hammer springs may be weak, I'm still glad I shot the stuff.