PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this trade...

rushca01
09-11-10, 18:40
Trading my LNIB Sig 226R 40sw for a BNIB Glock 19 in OD Green. Let me preface by saying I haven't shot the Sig in 2 years and maybe put 200 rounds down it. I already own a G19 (black) and it's my daily carry. I have decided to stick solely to 1911's and Glock's. So close enough trade or not? This would just be another gun, keep one in the car and one in the night stand etc...

ETA: Is there a specific serial number when the OD Green was looking more like FDE and then went to a more true OD green color? I have heard the first OD greens looked more FDE and the newer ones are a more true OD green.

Alpha Sierra
09-11-10, 18:56
Getting rid of a SIG for a Glock is coming out ahead in my book.

HK51Fan
09-11-10, 19:19
I think you would be getting the short end of the stick on that one my friend. The SIG is a more expensive pistol and a more desirable weapon IMO.

don't get me wrong. I own and love 3 Glocks. G20 (10mm), G22 (.40cal), G26 (9mm).

And I own 3 SIGs P220R stnlss (.45acp), P228 (9mm), P229 (.40cal), and P2022 (.40cal)......ohh I guess I own 4 SIGS, I keep forgeting about the P228, since it was the first semi auto pistol I ever bought.

Regards,

R

rushca01
09-11-10, 19:21
HK51Fan, you make a good point. The one thing I have going against me with my Sig is that it's 40sw, the bastard caliber for 226 model. Know one seems to want one a 226 in 40sw.

LOKNLOD
09-11-10, 19:27
Trading my LNIB Sig 226R 40sw for a BNIB Glock 19 in OD Green. Let me preface by saying I haven't shot the Sig in 2 years and maybe put 200 rounds down it. I already own a G19 (black) and it's my daily carry. I have decided to stick solely to 1911's and Glock's. So close enough trade or not? This would just be another gun, keep one in the car and one in the night stand etc...

ETA: Is there a specific serial number when the OD Green was looking more like FDE and then went to a more true OD green color? I have heard the first OD greens looked more FDE and the newer ones are a more true OD green.

All the OD Glocks have a very FDE tinge to them in certain light. I wish all my polymer parts could be had in the Glock version of OD :cool: Bummer they're discontinuing it.

While it sounds like a smart switch to make, the trade itself is a little lopsided from the money angle. The Sigs go for more than the Glocks, so maybe a trade plus a bit of cash is a fairer deal.

dvdlpzus
09-11-10, 19:45
I would suggest to sell the Sig face-to-face and buy the Glock and you will still have a few bucks for ammo.

Entropy
09-11-10, 20:02
The Sig has a greater market value. So, money wise you'd be losing out. However, if you are deciding on standardizing on the Glock platform, then it might be worth the financial loss.

Entropy
09-11-10, 20:09
HK51Fan, you make a good point. The one thing I have going against me with my Sig is that it's 40sw, the bastard caliber for 226 model. Know one seems to want one a 226 in 40sw.

Might have better luck with a cop market if you can find one. I don't like the P226 in .40. Recoil spring is too stiff making it hard to one hand cycle.

JonInWA
09-11-10, 20:38
I would suggest to sell the Sig face-to-face and buy the Glock and you will still have a few bucks for ammo.

That makes the most sense, unless everything is built around the trade. While most gun valuation books/auction results will favor the SIG, given your situation going with the Glock certainly provides "additave value" potentially making up for the "technical/assigned value" decriment.

Personally, I would prefer having an Glock 19 over a SIG-Sauer P226 in .40. Come to think of it, I do.

Seriously, the Glock offers you platform (and specific gun) standardization, in an effective caliber that you prefer (and is less expensive), and you won't need to get a different set of holsters, magazine pouches, magazines, etc.

The Glock is also far easier to work on, clean, and maintain-as well as being lighter and more weather impervious. While I'd hardly say that a P226 (in any of its calibers) is a bad choice, I think that the Glock 19 (and particularly for you in your situation/preference) is an excellent one.

If getting the greatest amount of dollars is paramount, do as Dvdlpzus suggests. If convenience/timing is essential, or you just want to jump on an available situation, I'd just do the trade and call it good.

Given that realistically your P226 will probably be valuated at 90% by most dealers for a trade, there really isn't likely going to be that huge of a dollar decriment anyhow.

Best, Jon

rushca01
09-11-10, 20:51
Thanks for all the replies. I finalized the deal. One used Sig for a BNIB Glock. While I know that I lost out financially on the deal, the 226 was literally collecting dust in the safe. At least the G19 will get shot in a more frequent manner in rotation with the other one. Plus the 226 is a "full size" gun and I would never CCW that anyways. Now, if it was a 226 9mm I would have probably kept it. Again thanks for the replies.