PDA

View Full Version : Salomon Quest 4D GTX Field Report

misanthropist
09-11-10, 20:33
Salomon Quest 4D GTX Field Report

Several days ago I purchased a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots, based in part on advice given on this forum. In general I do not like to review items after owning them for a few days, and that is why I am calling this a field report rather than a review. I will describe what I have done with the boots so far and their relative performance compared to my reference footwear, Montrail Hard Rock trail runners.

First, technical details:

The boots

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

http://www.nevisport.com/images/prod-img/833561_quest_zoom.jpg

Copy/Paste blurb:

Weight: 1.36kg (9 Medium)
This trekking boot’s progressive design borrows the most comfortable concepts from Salomon®'s trail-running program, and works them into a rugged boot built for challenging terrain. The result is ideal for day-hiking or multi-day backpacking trips over steep, rocky and untamed country.
Uppers combine synthetic fabric with waterproof suede and leather. A rubber heel and toecap protect from impact and abrasion, while the gusseted tongue keeps out pebbles and trail debris.
GORE-TEX® waterproof-breathable bootie construction provides a layer of dry protection.
Midsoles are Salomon’s 4D Advanced Chassis to provide a comfortable, stable, resilient ride in a tough, durable structure. They feature an upper layer of EVA engineered for superior underfoot cushioning, and a TPU stability plate which is layered onto and wrapped around a second full-length EVA layer that is higher in density and more resilient.
Outsoles use Salomon’s proprietary high-wear, abrasion-resistant, trekking Contagrip® rubber, for exceptional grip and durability in rugged terrain.

I put about 15km of break-in walking on these boots before taking them to the trail. They initially left my Achilles tendons and shins a little sore just from being stiff around the collar. This stiffness wore off after the second 5k walk.

The user

I am a moderately experienced hiker, 33 years old. I move pretty fast – I generally shoot for whatever the standard trail time listed on a given hike, divided by two. I am six foot two, just over 200 lbs, roughly 17% body fat (beer). I run fairly regularly, 6km, including a 100m elevation gain over a bridge. I am in pretty good shape aside from the beer. My feet are what I call “triangle feet”. I have kind of wide feet, except for the heels. I have a couple of pairs of custom work boots because I always used to ruin the lasts of any boots I’d buy, because my heel would move around and wear them out. I have to get size 11 lasts in my custom size 12 Vibergs.

The trail

The trail was Mount Seymour Trail. 4.5km, 450m elevation gain, average hiking time 2.5 hours, one way. Most sources recommend 4-5 hours round trip. BC Parks rates the trail as moderate to difficult. In good weather it is fairly safe although easy to get turned around in some spots. In bad weather it is somewhat dangerous for the unwary – some areas are very steep, some are very slippery, most are very rugged. In places the trail becomes indistinct and careful attention must be paid to keep track of trail markers. Wandering off the trail is not for the faint of heart or the ill-prepared.

Terrain is classic coast mountains: there are three basic types of ground.

Type 1 is the majority of the trail: granitic rock broken into sharp sections ranging from shale up to small boulders by freeze-thaw cycles. This trail has a lot of very sharp, harsh rock between softball and volleyball size. It is very tough on the feet and ankles!

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0463.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0464.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0467.jpg

Type 2 is the temperate rainforest, although up here you’re getting the sub-alpine version in sandy, rocky soil. This makes up maybe 30% of the trail and includes a lot of rooty sections.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0459.jpg

Type three is glacial rock, or what we called “whaleback rock” when I was a kid. I don’t know if that’s a local term – the smooth humps of rock were everywhere in the region I grew up in.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0454.jpg

These three types of terrain make this trail an excellent test bed for boots. Type 1 is punishing for any footwear, of course. Type two features a lot of slippery wood and underbrush. Type 3 makes for smooth rock surfaces. Altogether a wide range of problems for a boot to encounter.

Finally, the weather

It’s the coast mountains, in September, so…wet conditions and moderate temperatures, slight wind. At low altitudes, rain; at high altitudes, heavy fog. In fact the clouds pack up on the mountains and you walk up in to them, so less rain and more fog as you go. I was totally socked in at some points; visibility around 30m. This made keeping track of the trail a little tricky at times, particularly on the barren sections. Also, the generally soaked nature of the trail meant that everything that was ordinarily a little slippery was now greased and looking to kill. Finally, the wet underbrush in what I’ve called “type 2 terrain” – the forested sections – gave the boots a good hard test of their waterproofing.
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0458.jpg

Let’s hit the trail!

The parking lot was nearly empty in the rainy mountain weather. I brought along a pack weighing between 8 and 10 kg, partly out of interest for the test hike, and partly because the poor conditions made a bit of emergency gear worthwhile. Also I had a good lunch I intended to eat at the summit.

Immediately it was obvious just how much shock the boots were absorbing. I had come up this trail the week before in a pair of Montrail Hard Rocks; I had to pick my foot placement carefully on the whole trip but especially throughout the broken rock sections. No matter what, the sharp rocks made my shoes uncomfortable. The Salomons, however, were pitch-perfect. I paid special attention to the position of my arches and found I had enough room to flex and relax them as I hiked, but overall the boots provided excellent support all the way around.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0465.jpg

The first stage of the trail is broken rock and I was very satisfied on this terrain with both the fit of the boots and with the grip I was getting on the rock. I was more concerned about smoother surfaces, though: I had read that these boots were not sufficiently grippy on wet rock or wood. The broken rock was wet, but so jagged that anything would have gripped fairly well. At about the 1km mark, there are a few small wooden bridges to cross, and all had been soaking for hours and were as wet as they would get. I was looking forward to trying the boots on them.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0460.jpg

What I found was very pleasing: I had to work to make these boots slip on even soaking wet softwoods. They were impressively sticky even on what is ordinarily a very slick surface. Clambering up the roots was no problem. I never felt like my footing was anything but secure. It was a big change from the Montrails, which were never bad but were basically running shoes. I was about 2km in at this point, and began to think I was moving a little faster than I had the previous trip. That’s pretty good, because last time I had running shoes, perfect weather, and a 3kg pack on, not boots, rain, and an 8-10 kg pack. I expected to be a little slower, and in fact I felt like I was going faster. I think the grippy soles and extra protection on the sharp broken rock were making a positive difference, although I wouldn’t be sure until I made the summit.

Furthermore, the waterproofing was holding up well, despite constant soakings from the underbrush. A couple of times I thought the boots were soaking through at the outside point where your little toe meets your foot – you know where boots tend to crease etc. But eventually I discovered that what was happening was that the outer would eventually soak a little bit of water up, and then that spot just felt a little colder than the rest of the boot.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0455.jpg

Next up were the glacial rocks. Again, no problem. As you can see, everything was wet, but I had no problem walking in small steps down fairly steep faces. I read a review where a guy complained about the performance of these boots on wet rock but I’m left in the dark by that complaint…I thought they were great, both uphill and down. The last stretch of glacial rock got me to the summit, and I checked my watch: 1h15m. I had definitely beaten my previous time of 1:23 despite the weather and pack (and heavier clothing, slightly). I include the time partly because I thought that it would be useful to know the speed at which I am moving: this is a trail that should take the average hiker 2.5 hours. I did it in half that, so I am really moving. I sat down and had lunch with a raven that showed up.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0435.jpg

You will note how wet my pants are – I was really soaked from the ankles up at this point. But the waterproofing of the boots was indomitable. You can’t really tell, but raindrops were still beading on most of the boots.

Here is a close up of the boots as well – you can see water soaking in to the leather a tiny bit, but the only thing getting my feet wet is condensation, and I haven’t found a way to avoid that yet.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0434.jpg

The raven was initially hostile.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0437.jpg

I gave him a piece of my sandwich. He became very friendly after that and I took a lot of pictures of the big, glossy bird. I think he was fairly young. His feathers were a beautiful, oily black.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0453.jpg

The trip down was interesting as well. I found that the low volume of the boots compared to everything else I own was a little hard on my toes in sustained fast downhill mode. I imagine that is mostly an individual thing, but it was significant for me. I’ve always been a little prone to mildly ingrown big toe-nails, so the lower volume toe box was putting a bit of pressure on my outside left big toe (my left foot is my larger foot, not by much though).

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/camping/Hiking%20Mount%20Seymour/DSC_0466.jpg

I stopped briefly at a little tarn to dunk my head in the clear, still water. It was dead silent up there. I saw no other human beings. It was very calm and very beautiful.

I checked my watch on arrival at the parking lot. Total round trip time: 2:14:31. That is half or less the recommended hiking time, so I was moving fast the entire way, up and down. My feet felt great. When I came down after the last trip, I felt a little bruised up for two or three days; now my feet felt great. The incredible shock absorption of the Salomons just shined on this harsh ground.

Again, this is a field report, not a review. I have done what I would consider to be the equivalent of running a single thousand round training class with these boots. I am not an expert on them. But they are very, very nice to wear. I will be extremely surprised if I am back here in a couple of months with negative comments. But that is possible and I do not yet know enough about the boot to give them an unqualified recommendation.

My current assessment is as follows:

1) the boots are incredibly comfortable
2) they are sufficiently waterproof to withstand coastal weather
3) they are warm enough for coastal winters, but probably too warm for hot climates
4) they are very, very grippy on every terrain I have tried them on
5) the toe box is a little small
6) I notice today that the areas soaked in yesterday’s hike still appear slightly wet on the outside, but the inside seems fine, protected no doubt by the gore-tex layer.
7) I am very, very satisfied with these boots.

Mak8080
09-11-10, 20:58
Very nice review! I appreciate all the feedback as I am contemplating these guys. Have you tried the Cosmic 4D GTX's?

Alpha Sierra
09-11-10, 21:04
Do you live in coastal BC?

Was the raven yelling "make me a sammich?" :D

Nice hike and review.

cop1211
09-11-10, 21:15
I'm ordering a pair soon. Do they run true to size? I usually go between a size 9 or 8 1/2.

Nice review.

misanthropist
09-11-10, 23:27
Do you live in coastal BC?

Was the raven yelling "make me a sammich?" :D

Nice hike and review.

You bet I do!

I would say these boots run pretty true to size. I bought a 12, and I really should probably have a 12.5, but I don't believe they make one. I generally take a 12 but occasionally a 13. A 12 in these is the tiniest bit snugger than I would ideally like, but not so much that it's worth going up to a 13.

misanthropist
09-11-10, 23:28
Very nice review! I appreciate all the feedback as I am contemplating these guys. Have you tried the Cosmic 4D GTX's?

I have not, sorry!

RioGrandeGreen
09-12-10, 15:58
Misanthropist,
I vote you as our Subject Matter Expert for quality hiking boots!
Great pics by the way.

UDT
09-12-10, 17:29
Thanks, nice review and pics.

lebowski
07-19-11, 19:08
Has anyone given these a go in warm weather?

I ordered a pair on Zappos yesterday, they arrived today, and I like them - good fit, and seem like good quality. Have a few days to decide if I want to keep them thanks to zappos' awesome return policy.

Problem is, I live in FL. Not sure if these risk being too hot in warm weather ... though what boots that will hold up wouldn't be?

cop1211
07-19-11, 19:27
I've had a pair for about 6 months, and I'm in Florida as well, their fine. No issues with me being "too" hot. I wear mine almost daily.

M4Guru
07-20-11, 05:35
These have been my go to since Salomon released them and to a man, every single one of my buddies has converted as well.

Also, check out the Comet from Salomon. It is the same boot but is a fully welded synthetic upper as opposed to the leather sewn upper on the Quest. They may be slightly less durable (that's kind of relative, they're still durable as hell) but they require even less break in and are lighter with the same support.

lebowski
07-20-11, 08:15
Thanks guys, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for ... looks like I'll be keeping them.

VooDoo6Actual
07-20-11, 08:54
GTG Kit.
Have a few pairs.

Quest 4D, Mission GTX, Mid Peak Exit GTX..

Great boots for long days on your Dawgs, any terrain etc.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_2409Large.jpg

BearClaw Bigsby
07-21-11, 15:28
Nice Review.

While my Quest's are more comfortable, my Asolo Fugitive's are by far more durable and long lasting. I would recommend Asolo's before the Salamons , but make sure to try them on first, and consider sizing up and putting in a good insole (Green Superfeet).

manderson2228
08-12-11, 23:16
Nice Review.

While my Quest's are more comfortable, my Asolo Fugitive's are by far more durable and long lasting. I would recommend Asolo's before the Salamons , but make sure to try them on first, and consider sizing up and putting in a good insole (Green Superfeet).

I agree... In general. I have the Asolo TPS 520.. Built like tanks.. I love my solomons 3d's because they are so comfortable. To me they are built for different purposes though, I use the Asolo for all the heavy work, and the solomons for general duty stuff.

I am thinking about getting the blue superfeet tomorrow for the solomons.. Are you sizing you need to get a larger size for them to fit?

dirt_diver
08-13-11, 02:48
I'm bummed to read they run true to size. I'm a 15 and all I've seen from Salomon is up to 14.
Oh well...

Hot Sauce
08-13-11, 08:10
Is that in the Pacific Northwest? Absolutely BEAUTIFUL trail!

misanthropist
08-13-11, 11:03
Depends how you look at it I guess...we would consider it the pacific southwest as it's the southern edge of this country.

But it does border the region much more popularly known as the "pacific northwest" so I would tend to say that's correct.

Mount Seymour is just north of Vancouver, Canada. I sure love it up there.

JohnnyC
08-13-11, 14:57
I picked up a pair of these based on this review. Just for s'n'g's I decided to run them straight out of the box for a 400 round count carbine class. I did bring another pair of boots just in case I had trouble with these. After a full 8 hours of running and gunning I had forgotten I was wearing them. They are incredibly comfortable and have taken over normal duty whenever I can get out of wearing my steel toes. Coincidentally, they also provide great traction on an ice floor, and despite the carbine class being 100+ degrees in the sun and dirt, they have yet to feel too warm or too cold. They've quickly become my new favorite shoe.

misanthropist
08-13-11, 15:19
Really glad they worked out for you...I am actually wearing mine now and love them more now than I did when I bought them.

Many, many long days in them and just love them.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-13-11, 21:24
How do these boots do in snow? Do they keep your feet warm with good socks? If so, are they ventilated enough for summer wear as well?

misanthropist
08-14-11, 11:33
I find them adequate in snow in moderately cold temperatures...say ten degrees below freezing. I have other boots I typically wear for serious winter stuff so to be honest I don't think I have tried these in real cold.

I would find them a little on the warm side in summer heat, but then I am a Canadian and not really set up physiologically for warmth.

If it hits 25 degrees I'm looking for something a lot lighter, although if I was really working a path that warranted as much protection as these boots offer, I guess I'd wear them all summer. But it would definitely be warm.

JohnnyC
08-29-11, 04:48
So I've been working down in Mexico for the past month. I had a day off out of Monterrey so I took a little side trip and, as has been my daily ritual pretty much since I got them, wore my GTX's. These things do not disappoint in the least, and despite being convinced that Teotihuacan is ancient Mexican for "let's laugh at the gringos climb all these f*cking stairs," they performed all day long, everything I asked of them. Aside from a billion stairs on the Sun and Moon pyramids, I also did some bushwhacking in some restricted areas around the site, learned about some native edible plants, etc. I continue to be impressed by the comfort and dexterity these boots offer. They've quickly become my daily footwear of choice.

Just so I'm not lyin', see below. And damn, they're smart enough to build pyramids, align them with the stars, and build them so the acoustic signature sounds like a native bird through every octave, changing every 9 steps, why the hell couldn't they invent a freakin' escalator. Did I mention how well these boots perform on stairs?
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/382/teosalgtx.jpg

lebowski
08-29-11, 09:23
Has anyone given these a go in warm weather?

I ordered a pair on Zappos yesterday, they arrived today, and I like them - good fit, and seem like good quality. Have a few days to decide if I want to keep them thanks to zappos' awesome return policy.

Problem is, I live in FL. Not sure if these risk being too hot in warm weather ... though what boots that will hold up wouldn't be?

FWIW, I ended up keeping these and wore them for a 3-day carbine course in FL in July - it was HOT. While the boots were a bit warm, I don't think they were much if any warmer than any other boots would have been, and they were comfortable. I'm glad I got them, and I wouldn't have any qualms about wearing them in warm weather now.

Irish
09-04-11, 18:56
FYI - Mission Ready Equipment procured an order of BROWN Salomon Quests. You can see accurate pictures 1/2 way down this page: http://www.soldiersystems.net/ and order them here: http://www.missionreadyequipment.com/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-mens

soldiersystems
09-05-11, 12:31
FYI - Mission Ready Equipment procured an order of BROWN Salomon Quests. You can see accurate pictures 1/2 way down this page: http://www.soldiersystems.net/ and order them here: http://www.missionreadyequipment.com/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-mens

I post between 3 and 10 articles a day. Let's just post a link directly to the article.

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/09/02/salomon-quest-in-brown-mre-exclusive/

Irish
09-06-11, 15:38
I post between 3 and 10 articles a day. Let's just post a link directly to the article.

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/09/02/salomon-quest-in-brown-mre-exclusive/

Thanks! Wasn't exactly sure how to link to the direct article.

Irish
09-18-11, 11:51
Purchased a pair of the brown ones and ran them in an LMS Defense pistol course yesterday to break them in, really not necessary. The boots were very comfortable and coupled with a pair of Smartwool socks did a great job in 95 degree weather. I'll be using them on several hikes in the near future and will report back if I have any issues, I don't foresee any problems though.
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8337/lms007.jpg

misanthropist
09-18-11, 20:05
I would be surprised if they give you any trouble...mine just saw a six hour fast hike and ascent of the West Lion (elevation 5427 ft, but the trail starts around 6-800 feet, I guess).

Average grade on the trail is around 17% so the way down is pretty punishing on the knees, as you can imagine. It's about ten miles there and back.

Anyway, despite the long grind down, my knees actually felt fine the next morning, which I attribute largely to the boots.

They have become my go-to footwear for sure.

just a scout
09-18-11, 20:37
Are they just regular width or do they come in wide too?

kcmo83
09-20-11, 19:20
Regular width only, much to my chagrin...I've tried them, and like the features, but I just don't seem to get a good fit with Salomon hikers (I've tried the Quests, Cosmics, and XA Pro Mid-GTXs). I'm not heavy (5' 9", 155lbs), have normal arches, etc... but the last they build their shoes on seems too narrow for me (especially when you throw on thicker hiking socks). Having gone up a 1/2 size doesn't really do it for me either.

Not to get off on a tangent, however I am digging their new Crossmax series for trail running. They are built a little roomier in the toe-box.

snackgunner
10-11-11, 18:48
Do they make Salomon Quests, or anything similar, for women sizes?

Irish
10-11-11, 18:54
Do they make Salomon Quests, or anything similar, for women sizes?

Shazammm! http://www.rei.com/product/806620/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-hiking-boots-womens

snackgunner
10-11-11, 18:57
Awesome. Thanks Irish.

SWATcop556
10-12-11, 01:51
Not the 4D Quests, but I picked up a new pair of the Comet 3D GTX's and they once again show me why Salomon is my go to for footwear. I use different models from everything like daily wear, workouts, training, hiking, hell everything.

Great review BTW. The 4D Quests are my next pair to join my Salomon collection. I think I only have two pair of shoes that are not Salomon and they are dress shoes for court and Mass.

spr1
10-16-11, 08:01
I just picked up a second pair of 4d's on sale at REI for $149. I love these things.
Between my damaged ankles and progressively flattening feet, standing for long periods had become very tiring for me in the footwear I had been using. I just completed a 2 day course in the 4d's and my feet felt great afterwards. It was almost a miracle.
I also never realized what an advantage Smartwool socks could be over synthetics.
Smartwool and Salomon is a winning combo.

snackgunner
03-18-12, 11:13
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/03/18/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-boots-in-olive/

Quest 4d boot now available in Olive.

In the article they said the boot is now finally Gortex-lined. I thought these boots were already Gortex-lined? If not, this is a cool upgrade.

Hopefully they have this color available for women also.

lebowski
03-18-12, 17:52
I think they were just listing the features of the boot and end the list with "finally, the boot is also gortex lined". As opposed to "the boots are finally gortex lined" (i.e. the article does not imply this is a new feature, as I read it).

Still very happy with my 4D (gray, that olive looks good). Wore them in the Florida heat all day today, after wearing them in the Utah snow last week. My initial concerns about heat in FL were unfounded.

misanthropist
03-18-12, 20:44
Yeah, I believe that the "GTX" in the boot name refers to the presence of Gore-Tex. If I recall correctly, all "GTX" footwear from Salomon has a Gore-Tex layer.

cjnuckols50
03-19-12, 12:58
Nice review. Thanks.. Makes me want to go the BC!