PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a new shotgun

Dom
07-08-07, 12:05
I'm in the market for a new shotgun and I would like some opinions on a 12ga 3" or 3.5" pump. I'm looking to buy a fairly inexpensive base gun and add to it later. This will be something to ride in the trunk and be a home defense gun, so it should be able to handle everything from low power, reduced penetration rounds to 00 buck and 1oz slugs. I've been looking at the 870 express, and the FN pump shotgun. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Dom

Seth Harness
07-08-07, 12:11
I'm in the market for a new shotgun and I would like some opinions on a 12ga 3" or 3.5" pump. I'm looking to buy a fairly inexpensive base gun and add to it later. This will be something to ride in the trunk and be a home defense gun, so it should be able to handle everything from low power, reduced penetration rounds to 00 buck and 1oz slugs. I've been looking at the 870 express, and the FN pump shotgun. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Dom

870 express for sure.

rob_s
07-08-07, 13:33
870 but skip the express. My 870 was an FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) trade-in that I got for $150 with a $75 repark. Had it for 10 years.

$460 brand new (http://www.gunsamerica.com/976900947/Guns/Shotguns/Remington-Shotguns/Pump/Tactical/Rem_870_Police_Magnum_12_Parkerized_Ne.htm)

ST911
07-08-07, 14:35
870P is my first choice.

The Mossberg 590A1 is a serviceable entry-level gun as well.

FJB
07-08-07, 19:43
870P and then have Hans Vang https://www.vangcomp.com/ work his magic on it. VangComp isn't cheap, but then again how much is your life worth to you.

S/F

Cesiumsponge
07-08-07, 21:26
I have the 870 express, no issues at all and good if you can't find or afford the 870P. Rougher finish overall but it isn't meant to be a looker. Sharp edges can be deburred easily. MIM parts can be replaced. I dropped in a wingmaster trigger group I got on ebay for $30 and it's smooth without the j-lock key thing mine came with. I believe the 870P will get you an IC choke barrel instead of an OC and nicer finish.

I've had no reliability issues with mine and I used it as a base for all my add-ons because I got tired of waiting for an 870P to turn up and my friend wouldn't sell me his. If you can find a trade in 870P, then go for it.

Dom
07-08-07, 22:15
870 but skip the express. My 870 was an FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) trade-in that I got for $150 with a $75 repark. Had it for 10 years.

$460 brand new (http://www.gunsamerica.com/976900947/Guns/Shotguns/Remington-Shotguns/Pump/Tactical/Rem_870_Police_Magnum_12_Parkerized_Ne.htm)

Nevermind...Got the answer elsewhere. :o Thanks

Dom
07-08-07, 22:18
870P and then have Hans Vang https://www.vangcomp.com/ work his magic on it. VangComp isn't cheap, but then again how much is your life worth to you.

S/F

Wow $$$:(

FJB
07-08-07, 23:11
"Buy cheap, buy twice." Pat Roger's father.

"Trying to save a dime, you'll spend a dollar every time." My father.

Both of my 870s are Express, but they have also had Hans work them over. They have both been through a Louis Awerbuck/Scott Reitz Shotgun course with more training planned with Rob Haught, as well as Bill Jeans Morrigan Consulting http://www.morrigan-consulting.com/.

Here is the difference between 870P and 870E from VangComp website.

"What is the difference between a Remington Express and a Police Magnum?"
The Remington Police Magnum shotgun is built heavier to withstand the abuse and pounding that police departments inflict on their gear. It has a metal trigger assembly versus the Express's plastic assembly. The Police Magnum also has heavier springs (7 lb. sear disconnect spring versus's the Express's 5 lb. disconnect spring). The Police Magnum has a 22 inch magazine spring versus a 16 inch magazine spring in the Express. The Police gun comes with a heavier lifter spring. Each Police Magnum comes with front and rear sling swivel studs. These are just some of the differences in the two guns. Remember, you get exactly what you pay for. Both models function the same and digest the same ammo, so if you are inclined to inflict this type of punishment on your guns then consider a Police Magnum. Otherwise the Express model will serve you very well.

Page 8 of this thread from 10-8 Forums also discuss the differences as well.
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=23865&page=0&fpart=8&vc=1

S/F

cpd670
08-14-07, 04:49
If you are only looking at a pump stay with the 870. Most after market parts and a heck of a lot more durable than everything else I've seen. Unless you are waterfowl hunting there is no reason to spend the money on a 3.5". If you waterfowl hunt I sure wouldn't buy a pump, Benelli is the only way to go but you need some deep pockets.

Lumpy196
08-14-07, 13:04
The world of social shotguns begins and ends with the 870 Police or Wingmaster.

Period.

End of story.

Don Robison
08-14-07, 14:16
The world of social shotguns begins and ends with the 870 Police or Wingmaster.

Period.

End of story.

Unless you're a lefty. The 870 is a great shotgun, but I find the Mossberg 500/590 much better suited for left handed/ambidextrous shooting.

cpd670
08-14-07, 14:47
You can buy a left hand safety for your 870. I tried it on one and then again on my Beretta but I was always screwing up and putting the safety on instead of off. Guess there is no getting around 30 years of doing it backwards.

Don Robison
08-14-07, 15:31
You can buy a left hand safety for your 870. I tried it on one and then again on my Beretta but I was always screwing up and putting the safety on instead of off. Guess there is no getting around 30 years of doing it backwards.

True, but it still isn't ambidextrous. I've got a left hand 1100, but it still doesn't match the receiver mounted safety IMO. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Remington, because there isn't. I just don't prefer them.

olds442tyguy
08-14-07, 16:43
870 Police Magnum, or a Benelli Supernova Tactical.

I have an 870PM, and if I ever buy another pump gun, it will be the Benelli. I wouldn't buy a regular Nova though, as the Supernova Tactical is the only way to get a pistol grip.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/GAbenelliSN_073106in.jpg

Line Rider
08-16-07, 14:43
I have never been impressed with the Express model of the 870 Remington. For the price difference and the difference in quality I'd rather have an 870 Police.

My second choice would be a Mossberg 590A1 with Speedfeed stock.

Gunfighter13
08-16-07, 15:28
870 Marine Magnum is my choice for a pump gun. Durable finish and 3" chamber. Great gun to start with. :cool:

buzby
08-16-07, 19:11
does the 870 express really come with a plastic trigger assembly? mine has an aluminum assembly.

Line Rider
08-16-07, 19:37
The 870 express guns do have a plastic trigger housing.

I have a Remington Marine Magnum made in 1994. It's all most identical to the 870 Police.

toddackerman
09-03-07, 00:47
I have the 870 express, no issues at all and good if you can't find or afford the 870P. Rougher finish overall but it isn't meant to be a looker. Sharp edges can be deburred easily. MIM parts can be replaced. I dropped in a wingmaster trigger group I got on ebay for $30 and it's smooth without the j-lock key thing mine came with. I believe the 870P will get you an IC choke barrel instead of an OC and nicer finish.

I've had no reliability issues with mine and I used it as a base for all my add-ons because I got tired of waiting for an 870P to turn up and my friend wouldn't sell me his. If you can find a trade in 870P, then go for it.

I've had the 870 Wingmaster rebuild, the 870 Poile nd now an Express.

Unless you're planning on defending against a hoard of Zombies every night, the Express will do just fine. Even Hams Vang says so.

You might want to get a 2- shot Magazine extension (From Hans Vang), extended mag spring and a high visibility folower, also from Hans. (These won't break the bank), but the installation ofthe mag extension does take some minor alteration with a Dremel Tool. An extended safety is highly recommendededd and again the Vang part is a wise investment, but again, you need to have some patience, the proper punch sizes to remove the pins (be careful not to lose the plunger spring and detent pin). Just take your time, and keep something "White" on the floor to find a part if you drop one. You will want to get a simple, nylon 2 point sling as well for field carry. These qre less thn $20 with swivels from people like 'UNCLE MIKES".

My barrel is an 18" rifle sighted barrel where most guys opt for a "Ghost Ring" My eyeyes just can' see through a ghost ring very well ANYMORE, and I can place head shots in 1 second with he rifle sights at 50 yards so i think they're plenty fast enough. I also have a 28" ribbed barrel" with choke tubes for hunting. (Just another advantage of a shotgun.)

Once you get it, use the manual and take it completely apart to familiarize yourself with it, and clean and lube it properly. After shootin, use what is caloled a "Tico Tool" to run doWn the barreL and the chamber A few times and you're good to go.

Hope this helps!

Tack

Then, if you want to pick up some free tactical pointers go to Hans Vang's web site and watxh the videso from Gunsiight.

Joseywales
09-03-07, 23:20
my choices

Benelli M1, M2, or M4

Remington 11-87

I like the Stoger sxs because of the short barrels and OAL.