PDA

View Full Version : Need info re: 10 round magazines

Dr. Mike
09-11-10, 23:11
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase quality yet reasonable 10 round 5.56 magazines. I really like the P-mags but don't think they are available in 10 rounders.

Thanks, Dr. Mike

pilotguyo540
09-11-10, 23:27
My local store has 10/30 pmags but they are really expensive. They are out there but not listed on magpuls web store. Not sure why.

cnk
09-11-10, 23:27
www.riflegear.com
www.rrages.com
www.midwestpx.com

All 3 sell modified PMAGs.

Mike363
09-11-10, 23:29
I am limited to neutered mags as I live in Ca. The retailer I have had excellent experience with is www.midwestpx.com. The gentleman, Ty, who runs the company is a former Ca. resident. They have 20 and 30 round PMAGs that are permanantly blocked to 10 rounds aswell as some special modified/cut PMAGs that also only hold 10 rounds. Hope this helps.

Mike

tremor64
09-12-10, 01:07
the riflegear folks are great:
http://www.riflegear.com/default.aspx
great service - local in socal

btaksier
09-12-10, 01:16
+1 for both Riflegear.com and Midwestpx.com. I have bought 10 round pmags from both companies with no complaints.

Alex V
09-12-10, 19:05
I took a carbine class yesterday using (2) Henderson Defense 30round PMags limited to 15 and (3) Midwest PX 30 round PMags limited to 15 as well.

All fed just fine with no issued other than if I had them loaded with 15 rounds it was very difficult to get them to seat below a closed bolt. However if feeding them in when the bolt is locked back they did not cause any double feeds or any other problems. I suppose this is similar to loading 28 rounds in a 30 round mag instead of 30. Once I started loading 14 rounds, I had no problems.

I prefer the Midwest PX mags only because they have an option to install ranger plates where as Henderson Defense does not. I find the ranger plates helpful when pulling the magazines out of a chest rig.

Other than that, they both function just fine.

drrufo
09-12-10, 19:27
I have been using C Product 10 rounders with good results. I know other people feel they are crap, but they come with Magpul or Magpul copy followers and fit all 5 of my AR's. I have three and my son and his roommate have one each.

We live in the PRK so are limited to legal 10 rounders. I have noticed a trend at the gun shows lately that there are a ton of 20/30 round "rebuild" kits. They are sold unassembled and are represented as a legal sale, they may be, but I don't think they smell right. I watch a guy selling 30 round mags at the Orange County Fairground show selling them 20 feet from two OC Sheriffs deputies. That gave me pause, these make me think of stings.

Back to the OP, try to get a brand new 10 rounder, the modified ones may not function when you need them.

zchen
09-12-10, 22:32
I rotated twenty 10/30 P-Mags modified by Ty of Midwestpx during a magpul 3 day class earlier this year and had no issues with them.

5pins
09-13-10, 08:08
Wouldn’t be possible to take a 20rd pmag and put a block inside to reduce the capacity to 10rd and then epoxy the floor plate on?

Frens
09-13-10, 08:14
My local store has 10/30 pmags but they are really expensive. They are out there but not listed on magpuls web store. Not sure why.

original 10/30 PMAGs are not out yet...those you see were modified by somebody else

Alex V
09-13-10, 10:44
Wouldn’t be possible to take a 20rd pmag and put a block inside to reduce the capacity to 10rd and then epoxy the floor plate on?

Yes. Thats how they do it.

Midwest PX has 10/20, 15/10, 10/30 and 15/30 PMags.

I can feel/hear the block move up and down inside the 15/30 pmags I have from Midwest PX but it does not bother me one bit.

The Henderson Defense PMags I have, have the floor plate epoxied on. The Midwest PX ones have a blind pin through the floorplate/mag body.

As far as I know having a 30 round mag in pieces is legal, as long as you don't put it together. Am I mistaken here? Constructive intent?

TOMTOM
09-13-10, 10:53
Yes. Thats how they do it.

Midwest PX has 10/20, 15/10, 10/30 and 15/30 PMags.

I can feel/hear the block move up and down inside the 15/30 pmags I have from Midwest PX but it does not bother me one bit.

The Henderson Defense PMags I have, have the floor plate epoxied on. The Midwest PX ones have a blind pin through the floorplate/mag body.

As far as I know having a 30 round mag in pieces is legal, as long as you don't put it together. Am I mistaken here? Constructive intent?

in CA thats correct, we can have rebuild kits. Heck, to make things more confusing, mere possession of a Hi-capacity magazine is not illegal; however, after 1/1/2000 importing, manufacturing, buying of Hi-cap (anything over 10 rounds) is illegal. There is a 3 year statute of limitations regarding this though. All magazines legally owned in the state prior to that date are legal.

but if I were to randomly find a couple 30 round magazines in the desert somewhere, I would not be in violation for possessing them;

stupid CA laws.

THT
10-02-10, 01:34
I just came across this thread. I'm Ty, the owner of Midwest PX and appreciate the kind words from you guys. I also wanted to mention that in the coming week or two, all the mags based on the 30rd PMAG body will upgraded as I roll out a new design block for the 10/30, 15/30, and curved stubby mags. These blocks are 50% lighter and will be fixed to the locking plate so they will no longer rattle.